Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    I was wondering how people with Asian heritage viewed the expansion. I had my suspicions that it was blatantly stereotyped and pandering (lol). I guess the target demographic is white people that like the thought of "Asian stuff", but have no clue what's authentic and what isn't?
    Its all about being authentic. I myself being a spacetraveling zombie feel that both BC and WOTLK where highly inaccurate of how i live my life. I can fully understand why the Asian panda quitted wow.

Hint: its not supposed to be authentic. Its populated by a panda people ffs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Gilneas=England, it rains, it's foggy, it's citizens speaks(horrible british english(common) )
    No the English people speak proper Queen's English....not the raped American version of English language, we see today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseD View Post
    No the English people speak proper Queen's English....not the raped American version of English language, we see today.
    Never visit Manchester or the Midlands. You will be totally shocked how unQueen the Queen's English becomes, quick!
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Never visit Manchester or the Midlands. You will be totally shocked how unQueen the Queen's English becomes, quick!
    Indeed. Theirs a "jersey shore" equivalent in England (can't remember the name) I had a chance to watch it once and those people don't speak a lick of the queens as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    So, you basically admitted that the whole point of this thread is to get a rise out of people. /golfclap
    Amen. Got to agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    fixed, warhammer isn't exactly a fount of creativity either.
    and blizzard did coin the term "blizzard orcs" for a reason, they were one of the first to popularize orcs as something other as stupid barbarian rape-machines.

and yeah i do find the aesthetic style refreshing, i think the art team did to cause holy fuck did they make alot of art assets,.
    I'm pretty sure that's how everyone still sees them, I mean everyone that matters.

I really enjoy the asian inspired environments it is a nice change of pace from the constant european/western themes.

Deleted
    Hello! Everything in WoW is a stereotype

There is always teh dread wastes and the klaxxi! myself i find them very intresting. and there is some new nice envoriment in heart of fear The instance is rly awesome, its what aziol nerub should have been.. had blizz not been so lazy in wrath

I don't quite understand there have been "Asian" themes in game since launch. Night Elf architecture is a mock of Japanese architecture. All wooden structures.

Granted some of the marble architecture in Darnassus and the "old" Night Elf structures are more of an Ancient Greek/Roman architecture.
    Can't forget the addition of the Draenei in the Burning Crusade with the style of the Middle Eastern/Indian cultures.
    Then in Cataclysm we received another addition of Middle Eastern/Egyptian (I know Egyptian is African) culture with the Tol'Vir, VP/FotFW, Uldum.
    And now with Pandaria we have an area with a much more Chinese flavor of asian culture. I really don't understand what the problem is.

I'm Scott-Irish and none of the following bother me:
    -Alcoholic references
    -Dwarvern mythology and culture
    -Vrykul mythology and cutlure
    -As a human I am definitely not offended by the way humans are portrayed in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Indeed. Theirs a "jersey shore" equivalent in England (can't remember the name) I had a chance to watch it once and those people don't speak a lick of the queens as far as I can tell.
    Just try to understand what they're saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7Z3046_dg

I'm from the South, we may have a draw but can be understood. THIS is like WHAT???
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    fixed, warhammer isn't exactly a fount of creativity either.
    and blizzard did coin the term "blizzard orcs" for a reason, they were one of the first to popularize orcs as something other as stupid barbarian rape-machines
    Warhammer is far from original, but at least the creators are taking it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Inspirations are one thing, the point I'm getting at is that Pandaria is essentially China in WoW, not WoW inspired by China.
    Really? Lucky for me I've been finding it fairly unobtrusive. In fact I'm a little excited to see the Monkey King.

Deleted
    I was tired of it the moment it was announced. I'd have preferred something less realistic and more fantasy like Outland was.

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    I was wondering how people with Asian heritage viewed the expansion. I had my suspicions that it was blatantly stereotyped and pandering (lol). I guess the target demographic is white people that like the thought of "Asian stuff", but have no clue what's authentic and what isn't?
    MoP's depiction of "asian culture" isn't any less of a cartoonish pop-culture caricature than WoW's depiction of old "western culture" has been thus far, and the irony of the implication that it is kind of blows me away... y'know, since, if you think there's a difference, then you are the type of person that you're complaining about...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not one bit, I love it so much. It's driven me to eat asian food (whether Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, or Korean) nearly twice a week since the game came out. I have a problem. O.O

Nope I am enjoying this expansion to the fullest. Landscape and themes are wonderful, and give "fresh" feeling.

i think it's a nice change of pace. I felt the same way as you OP i was missing the fantasy aspect but there's still enough out there like SM that still let you get your fantasy fix. as long as next xpac is a return to form and not pandaria 2 i'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    He has a point: MoP is filler.

Like Cata, it really doesn't have a point. It's Blizzard trying to create something new, since WotLK was the last of the WC content to copy.

The selling point from vanilla to WotLK was those who played the classic versions of the game could play it in a MMO. After WotLK it's totally new territory, and the shine of the past the players enjoyed died with the LK (that sig, is very, very true).

Blizzard now has to create new stuff, and stuff that relates little to what made their player base to begin with.

I didn't come to WoW to play with pandas, for example. I came to play a Holy paladin. It was the Western MMO theme of Elwynn and Sentinel Hill that got me to subscribe, it was WotLK that kept me in the game (what more could I ask for for a story? Central villian that is evil, and 100000000000000001 undead to kill).

Now? The game doesn't even resemble Asian horror, where at least there's some undead for a paladin to smite.
    Your points confuse me. Why shouldn't WoW evolve? Isn't that one of the cornerstones of MMOs? Also why is MoP filler? Filler by definition has no impact on the story yet it looks like this expansion is exceeding it's predecessors heavily in the department of fluid story advancement and most of all character development? Please explain.

P.S. In the department of smiting, 5.1 is set to give us the aberration creature type which will include Sha and fall under Paladinial expertise. Yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'm much happier with Asian theme than "FIRE EVERYWHERE" Cata. Seriously, except for Vashjir I don't remember a single zone in Cata that had not some part of it set on fire ._.

And they brought back the main theme for the logging screen where you don't have to sit around for 30 min to hear it. I am content.