Ragnarok World Championships 2012

Saw this on Facebook, used to play this game and it's fun to watch if you're bored.

http://liveblog.levelupgames.ph/rwc2012/

Ragnarok World Championships livestream, they're at the quarter-finals right now. It's pretty funny how fast the matches are, there isn't a very high skill cap to the game but it's a bit unbelievable that enough people still play it that they can actually have world championships. 1st gets $15k, 2nd gets $7k, 3rd gets $3k (I think).

Standings right now...

Last edited by vizzle; 2012-11-03 at 04:49 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skill cap used to be higher before it went pay to win with all the buff foods you can buy now. I quit playing not too long before they made a free server to play on. I think my server was Loki if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Skill cap used to be higher before it went pay to win with all the buff foods you can buy now. I quit playing not too long before they made a free server to play on. I think my server was Loki if I remember correctly.
    Well there's no food buffs with the tournaments anyway. It's a 7v7 (I think, not sure, it might be 11v11) match, best out of 3, no Godly items or food buffs.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Wow, they still hold these? Damn. I played Ragnarok for like 7 or 8 years and still do from time to time, but I never realized they still had these tournaments. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Well there's no food buffs with the tournaments anyway. It's a 7v7 (I think, not sure, it might be 11v11) match, best out of 3, no Godly items or food buffs.
    I had a friend who was in Unity on Loki and they won it one year. Its been years since ive played. I never liked how un-new-player friendly it was. To me it seemed like there was no direction for a new play at all.

Well I don't remember if it was a World Championship but they got a god item for winning.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I used to play this pretty hardcore when I was young. Ragnarok used to be freaking popular in Thailand to the point that it was seen by adults as the game that they wouldn't let their child touch. I can't believe how I managed to grind my way to lv93 with my vit/str knight. It's somewhat funny when I see people today complain about WoW is grindy. lol
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-11-03 at 04:59 AM.

I had a friend who was in Unity on Loki and they won it one year. Its been years since ive played. I never liked how un-new-player friendly it was. To me it seemed like there was no direction for a new play at all.

Well I don't remember if it was a World Championship but they got a god item for winning.
    Yea, it's not the kind of game you'd like to play without friends. The most interesting aspect of it (that I haven't seen many other AAA games do) is the WoE, which I feel isn't represented properly when they hold these 7v7 tournaments. Fighting for the castles/agits was always the best part of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, it's not the kind of game you'd like to play without friends. The most interesting aspect of it (that I haven't seen many other AAA games do) is the WoE, which I feel isn't represented properly when they hold these 7v7 tournaments. Fighting for the castles/agits was always the best part of the game.
    I made a Bard just to buff the Wizards in my friends guild. They decked me out in hundreds of millions of Zeny worth of gear to level me up and stuff. And this was when Stings was pretty much the only place to level a character with no flee at the time.

I made a Bard just to buff the Wizards in my friends guild. They decked me out in hundreds of millions of Zeny worth of gear to level me up and stuff. And this was when Stings was pretty much the only place to level a character with no flee at the time.
    I always liked how you could just buy the best set of gear you'd ever need and put it all on a level 1 character, or at least when you get your first job at like 10 or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked how you could just buy the best set of gear you'd ever need and put it all on a level 1 character, or at least when you get your first job at like 10 or something.
    Yeah I had this stupid set up for new characters that gave you like 1400 health and insane attack power for a low level and you could go to poring island and level to job 10 in less than 30 min with good spawns.

EU vs. Indonesia right now, woo.

Yeah I had this stupid set up for new characters that gave you like 1400 health and insane attack power for a low level and you could go to poring island and level to job 10 in less than 30 min with good spawns.
    pupa card+ +7blade is what I always used with my novices.

I used to play this game long time ago... on Chaos(EU).
    The game was grindy and sometimes horrible laggy but still felt awesome somehow.
    My guild was nice and helpful, after the introduction of WoE we were even able to hold a castle sometimes (we were a more familiar guild, so we couldn't just zerg2win) and the occasional GM-organized events were something I really miss in MMOs nowadays...
    And the emotes were the best! ;P
    Too bad they closed the old euRO servers. Was really sad when I found out.

I stopped playing around the time BC was released, because my major RP partner switched to WoW. Played both parallel for a while but it just wasn't the same.
    (never would have touched WoW without her, as I thought it was too ugly D: like a zoomed WC3)
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral