Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    I've never said that at all, ever. Nice strawman.
    Irony of that statement went right over your head.

/Looks back at every single comment you've made in this thread.

19 and living at home, is still living at home. I am not saying you should cut your hair but you have no ground to complain about their bitching. If you want that bitching to stop move out.

I have had long hair, dreads, no hair and short hair. My parents have never said peep Though I did move out at 18 on the dot. IMO if you have issues with these conflicts move out.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Care to quote where the OP said his father thinks it not appropriate on men? Also bigotry doesn't fit for the current discussion. Keep trying to demonize the parents though, it's fun to watch.
    I wasn't talking about the OP specifically, I was talking about that kind of bigotry (which does exist). What we do know is that he thinks his sons haircut makes him look bad. Which is an extraordinarily pathetic reason to demand your son cut his hair.

You keep missing the point that he is an adult. Regardless how you feel about the hypothetical situation of his parents kicking him out over a haircut they are within their legal right to do so. I know it is easy to get your feelings muddled in with simple facts but at least try.
    That they can doesn't mean they ought to. I am not arguing they can't only that they shouldn't.

Then I am an awful person. Oh it wouldn't be the haircut that would cause me to tell him to cut it or leave. It would be him not following my rules. Oh and him taking the money I gave him for a haircut and blowing it on who-knows-what would show that he doesn't respect my wishes.
    It would, actually. It would be you kicking your son out just because he refuses to get his hair cut. You're just playing semantics.

I like short hair anyway so cut it!
    Let's turn the Night into Tomorrow

I wasn't talking about the OP specifically, I was talking about that kind of bigotry (which does exist). What we do know is that he thinks his sons haircut makes him look bad. Which is an extraordinarily pathetic reason to demand your son cut his hair.
    The only thing that is pathetic is people thinking it is alright to live under your parents house and refuse to follow a simple rule as keep your hair short. "But it's not right!!1!" Please, save yourself some time and lay of the right and wrong with getting a hair cut.

That they can doesn't mean they ought to. I am not arguing they can't only that they shouldn't.
    Their house, what they should or shouldn't do is irrelevant as long as it doesn't endanger the person's (in this case the OP) life. Stop trying to push your ideals onto others.

It would, actually. It would be you kicking your son out just because he refuses to get his hair cut. You're just playing semantics.
    Call it semantics if you wish. I am just using the haircut as an example. If I gave him money to get pants that weren't baggy and he bought himself a new game I would feel the same way about the haircut.

Also this conversation is going no where...

15+ Year Old Account
    We call that the douche haircut where I am from. Sorry but looking like a scrub is not what people have in mind. If it fits you more power to you but you will jnot impress anyone looking like that.

Oh you live at home still? Cut your hair or move out. Lawl you have ZERO rights unless you are paying your parents mortgage off. If not you do what they say or move out.....pretty simple.

NGC, it's pointless. You are arguing with a brick wall. Only difference being he is more dense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440
    The only thing that is pathetic is people thinking it is alright to live under your parents house and refuse to follow a simple rule as keep your hair short. "But it's not right!!1!" Please, save yourself some time and lay of the right and wrong with getting a hair cut.
    It isn't right. If you want it long, why should you not be allowed to? Why does that impact your parents?

If you don't care about your hair it is a "simple rule". For example, I love Death Metal but if my parents say disapproved and demanded I stopped listening to it suddenly the request is more than that. I could, very easily stop listening to it but why should I? I like it and it does not harm them.

Their house, what they should or shouldn't do is irrelevant as long as it doesn't endanger the person's (in this case the OP) life. Stop trying to push your ideals onto others.
    I am not in any sense pushing anything onto anyone. The only sort of people that impose their ideals on others are people like the OP's parents who would demand their son change their hair length because they personally dislike it.

Call it semantics if you wish. I am just using the haircut as an example. If I gave him money to get pants that weren't baggy and he bought himself a new game I would feel the same way about the haircut.
    Yes, that would be a dick move. But if he told you "I'm not getting tighter jeans/a hair cut" and you gave him it anyway....

I am not in any sense pushing anything onto anyone. The only sort of people that impose their ideals on others are people like the OP's parents who would demand their son change their hair length because they personally dislike it.
    And you're doing the same exact thing by trying to impose on the parents that they accept something they personally dislike in their own home. As shortsighted or old-fashioned as their personal tastes may be, they've got a right to set some aesthetic standards in their own home. Don't pretend that just because your ideals are more lenient or seemingly open-minded that you aren't trying to impose them on others in just the same manner as the OP's parents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    And you're doing the same exact thing by trying to impose on the parents that they accept something they personally dislike in their own home. As shortsighted or old-fashioned as their personal tastes may be, they've got a right to set some aesthetic standards in their own home. Don't pretend that just because your ideals are more lenient or seemingly open-minded that you aren't trying to impose them on others in just the same manner as the OP's parents.
    I haven't said they can't do it. I've said that they're wrong for doing it.

I'm not trying to impose anything, I'm arguing for a position.

It isn't right. If you want it long, why should you not be allowed to? Why does that impact your parents?

If you don't care about your hair it is a "simple rule". For example, I love Death Metal but if my parents say disapproved and demanded I stopped listening to it suddenly the request is more than that. I could, very easily stop listening to it but why should I? I like it and it does not harm them.
    The catch with music is all you have to do is turn it down and ta-da no one will know you are listening to it unless they get real close. A haircut is a bit different. We also already discussed how it impacts the parents. Going to ignore the "It isn't right".

By telling others they are wrong and by demonizing the parents for stating that they want his hair short while he lives there you are pushing your ideals on others. The magical catch though with their parents telling the son to cut his hair is, are you ready for it, it's their house. A simple rule none the less. You personally may or may not agree with it but he forfeits quite a few freedom choices by choosing to stay at his parents. You wanna know the catch to gaining back that freedom? MOVE OUT

Yes, that would be a dick move. But if he told you "I'm not getting tighter jeans/a hair cut" and you gave him it anyway....
    Here is where the respecting him while disagreeing with his choice. He would refuse the money. I guess that is just expecting too much from people though.

Deleted
    As long as your hair doesn't look:

a) like a tramp
    b) greasy
    c) disgusting
    d) uncontrollable

It's fine.

However, judging from my perceptions of you... You should get your hair cut, I doubt you have any of the qualities to maintain a proper full head of hair.

Deleted
    Strange relationship you have with your parents, but I just guess it is me who live in paradise then. In my entire life my parents have never told me to cut my hair.

Deleted
    The catch with music is all you have to do is turn it down and ta-da no one will know you are listening to it unless they get real close.
    True, but suppose your parents find out and demand you stop listening to it. Is that right? Are they right for doing that?

A haircut is a bit different. We also already discussed how it impacts the parents. Going to ignore the "It isn't right".
    It isn't different. They have to look at it. Oh noes. The only impact it has relates to their own bigotry.

By telling others they are wrong and by demonizing the parents for stating that they want his hair short while he lives there you are pushing your ideals on others.
    No, that's arguing for an opinion. To impose it implies an actual attempt by me to by force prevent it from happening. The idea that anyone can impose anything via an argument is laughable.

Secondly, I'm 'demonising' parents who think like that. From what he's said his parents reasons are petty and they only pressure him to do it but that's all I know.

The magical catch though with their parents telling the son to cut his hair is, are you ready for it, it's their house.
    Yes, you've said this repeatedly. This is irrelevant. The son is not theirs. His body is his own.

Him having long hair does not effect them or their house.

Here is where the respecting him while disagreeing with his choice. He would refuse the money. I guess that is just expecting too much from people though.
    I imagine he would, or the father would rescind the money.

True, but suppose your parents find out and demand you stop listening to it. Is that right? Are they right for doing that?
    Yes and yes.

It isn't different. They have to look at it. Oh noes. The only impact it has relates to their own bigotry.
    Dang I must be listening to music wrong. I wasn't aware that one can look at music. And here I thought it was just sound waves, silly me. Also keep up the demonizing, just showing you how weak your side is.

No, that's arguing for an opinion. To impose it implies an actual attempt by me to by force prevent it from happening. The idea that anyone can impose anything via an argument is laughable.

Secondly, I'm 'demonising' parents who think like that. From what he's said his parents reasons are petty and they only pressure him to do it but that's all I know.
    Don't you think it is wrong though to demonize someone not because you know 100% of the situation but because you assume that it is the case? /rhetorical

Yes, you've said this repeatedly. This is irrelevant. The son is not theirs. His body is his own.

Him having long hair does not effect them or their house.
    Sorry to break it to you but waving your stiffy around in public and telling the cops that the law doesn't apply to you since it is your body and not the public will fly about as far as your argument.

I am done with this discussion. As Lomak pointed out, beating my head against this wall is futile.

Jesus Christ, 24 pages about some schmucks hair still going on?
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I haven't said they can't do it. I've said that they're wrong for doing it.

I'm not trying to impose anything, I'm arguing for a position.
    By judging them as wrong, you're doing the same exact thing as the parents: setting up a standard and holding people up to it. "Long hair is bad" and "Thinking long hair is bad is bad" aren't that far apart in terms of permissiveness.

Hypothetical...

If you owned a large house that enclosed the OP's parent's house - they paid for their own utilities, but did not pay you rent. Would you force the parents to allow their kid to have long hair: Yes or No?

If Yes - how are you any different from the OP's parents?

Deleted
    Yes and yes.
    Why are they right for forbidding their children from listening to D. Metal?

Dang I must be listening to music wrong. I wasn't aware that one can look at music. And here I thought it was just sound waves, silly me. Also keep up the demonizing, just showing you how weak your side is.
    I was talking about haircuts there, not music. Oh noes, people have to look at you.

Don't you think it is wrong though to demonize someone not because you know 100% of the situation but because you assume that it is the case? /rhetorical
    I'm only 'demonising' parents who forbid their sons from having long hair. Those that do that, I will merrily demonise them.

Sorry to break it to you but waving your stiffy around in public and telling the cops that the law doesn't apply to you since it is your body and not the public will fly about as far as your argument.
    We're not talking about indecent exposure in public, we're talking about having long hair. Until it is actually against the law to have long hair your point here does not apply.

A son having long hair does not effect the parents.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 10:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    By judging them as wrong, you're doing the same exact thing as the parents: setting up a standard and holding people up to it. "Long hair is bad" and "Thinking long hair is bad is bad" aren't that far apart in terms of permissiveness.
    One is in favour of allowing people to have hair how they want it and the other is not.

If you owned a large house that enclosed the OP's parent's house - they paid for their own utilities, but did not pay you rent. Would you force the parents to allow their kid to have long hair: Yes or No?
    No. It would not be my business.

If Yes - how are you any different from the OP's parents?
    If I did intervene then I would be different in the sense that I'd be encouraging someone's freedom to appear how they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's enough "advice". This has gone far away from the topic and gone to nothing but petty insults.