Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    short hair looks better, hair dressers are evil... so i make a compromise with my self i only go to the hair dressers every 3 months :P

You have a job. And in school. If you're paying your way then it's your decision.

Even if you're living at home while in school, like a lot of people do. Then it shouldn't matter. Unless they are too strict. Then there is nothing to say other then get more work and move out. Or comply.

Deleted
    Screw it, he just offered me money in the hopes of cutting my hair.

I refused it, screw him and his backwards thinking forever from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Nonsense. Even if he made his own money, he would still be using their money for housing, food, water, etc. Until he is completely independent they can put any restrictions on him that they wants.
    Hmm, parents, just because they feed and such the person, they can put up ANY restrictions? I mean, where's the limit? Is it because parents have certain rules that these rules always in the best interest of the kid or the relationship between kid and parents anything ? I dont see how having long hair can damage anything.

If 19 means nothing, when will he mean anything? When will he be old enough to chose his own hair style - I mean, come on! Its part of his identity we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post

That's right!
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    19 years old, always loved it when my hair grew a lot and my parents always wanted it cut short, I complied.

But I don't want to comply anymore, isn't it my own hair?

Also I must inform you, if you are one of those people who say: OMG SPOILED CHILD SPOILED ROTTEN KID LISTEN TO THEM YOU SHOULD BE BEATEN
    then your post automatically is not considered non-existent to me. Be constructive, but not a rager.

I have always complied about cutting my hair, and I don't want it short at all, but my parents are taking it to new heights.
    Even when I ask for a couple of euro's now. (which is once in a blue moon mind you) and I really mean a little amount of money, my father goes: Only if you cut your hair.

Really? Blackmailing your own child because he didn't cut his hair and has his hair the way he wants it?

Eh....

I don't know what to say to him, I have tried talking to him calmly and explaining, now when he mentions it. (which is every day always) I just ignore him because talking to him does not work.

Show us what your hair looks like and maybe we can give you an informed opinion ?

If long hair makes you look like a hobo or something maybe it's for your own good you'd cut it. Unless you are completely fine with people of thinking of you as a hobo on first impressions.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2012-11-03 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    19 years old, always loved it when my hair grew a lot and my parents always wanted it cut short, I complied.

But I don't want to comply anymore, isn't it my own hair?

Also I must inform you, if you are one of those people who say: OMG SPOILED CHILD SPOILED ROTTEN KID LISTEN TO THEM YOU SHOULD BE BEATEN
    then your post automatically is not considered non-existent to me. Be constructive, but not a rager.

I have always complied about cutting my hair, and I don't want it short at all, but my parents are taking it to new heights.

Even when I ask for a couple of euro's now. (which is once in a blue moon mind you) and I really mean a little amount of money, my father goes: Only if you cut your hair.

Really? Blackmailing your own child because he didn't cut his hair and has his hair the way he wants it?

Eh....

I don't know what to say to him, I have tried talking to him calmly and explaining, now when he mentions it. (which is every day always) I just ignore him because talking to him does not work.
    First bolded part actually means that it is existant, since you said it's not non-existant. ^^

Second bolded part, it's only blackmail if he puts up the request of "if you don't do X then I will do Y", but since you are the one who asked and nothing will happen if you don't do anything at all, he's simply putting a requirement before he agrees.

Thirdly, I would say that yes being 19 years old doesn't mean much, sure you can make most of your decisions the moment you become 18+, but for as long as you live under their roof with them paying for you, they are still in charge for the most part.

I still feel however that they have no say in the length of your hair, that both should be and is completely your decision. As about what to do with the situation as a whole, I suppose there isn't much to do other then either, let your hair grow out and deal with whatever your parents make you put up with, or go with their wishes to cut it. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost cut my hair
    Happened just the other day
    It was gettin' kinda long
    I could've said it was in my way
    But I didn't and I wonder why
    I felt like letting my freak flag fly
    And I feel like I owe it to someone
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Their house, their rules.

Deleted
    My parents always wanted me to cut my hair as soon as it got a bit big... It was annoying, but it stopped almost 3 years ago, thank god.

Just ignore them or tell them to stop, you're not a child anymore, you can make your own decisions, especially if you want to cut your hair or not, and your parents should also understand that it's your style having your hair the way it is, not theirs.

Deleted
    Well, I got HIM to comply.

Got some money after all.
    And this money is used to buy birthday gifts so don't go all 'mooching' on me.

Pff...

I'm of the agreement of the folks in this thread that say you should follow their rules. Their house, their rules. Besides, it's not like they're trying to control you in the evil way of plotting "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amdist the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"

In the US, a man with long hair is usually seen with a social stigma that he doesn't care for proper grooming and the like. I know if I were to look out for a job, the first thing I'd do would be to cut my hair. Why? Because for most, it makes people feel comfortable to see familiarity. Different is scary, after all. If I were to guess, I'd say this would probably be the strongest reasoning as to why they're adamant in this.

But, if you really are wanting to keep your hair long, you could always express to your parents that you want to at least grow it out long enough so you can donate the hair to a charity like we have here in the states called Locks of Love, should one exist. Else, just stick with your parents. Besides, the fact that they let you live with them suggests they care about you quite a bit. That's an important thing to remember whenever they ask you of something.

Cut your hair. Long hair is for girls.

You are an adult and can do what you want, but if you want your parents to support you, you should do what they want.

I also have long long. If people tried to bribe me, I'd also be even more resolute on not cutting my hair.

Go back to your 1920s

Deleted
    your parents are a "little bit" controlling :/ can't see the fuss over hair issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post

You are an adult and can do what you want, but if you want your parents to support you, you should do what they want.
    Long hair can actually look great on guys, just as short hair can look great on girls...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Their house, their rules.
    Their country, their dictator, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    I'm of the agreement of the folks in this thread that say you should follow their rules. Their house, their rules. Besides, it's not like they're trying to control you in the evil way of plotting "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amdist the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"

In the US, a man with long hair is usually seen with a social stigma that he doesn't care for proper grooming and the like. I know if I were to look out for a job, the first thing I'd do would be to cut my hair. Why? Because for most, it makes people feel comfortable to see familiarity. Different is scary, after all. If I were to guess, I'd say this would probably be the strongest reasoning as to why they're adamant in this.

But, if you really are wanting to keep your hair long, you could always express to your parents that you want to at least grow it out long enough so you can donate the hair to a charity like we have here in the states called Locks of Love, should one exist. Else, just stick with your parents. Besides, the fact that they let you live with them suggests they care about you quite a bit. That's an important thing to remember whenever they ask you of something.
    I can understand that, they want me to be neat and put together, but I am neat, clean and put together, except with long hair, not short.

Well, I got HIM to comply.

Got some money after all.
    And this money is used to buy birthday gifts so don't go all 'mooching' on me.

Pff...
    Your definitely not independent and the quote above says it all. If the birthday presents are actually for your parents that your fail...miserably!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Your definitely not independent and the quote above says it all. If the birthday presents are actually for your parents that your fail...miserably!
    Not for my parents, for my 2 best friends.

Excuse me for having money problems.

And what does the quote say about me? Who are you to judge my personality?