Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I think because DS can't be parried and RS can't be parried or dodged (but it can still miss, meaning you loose some 3 RP, a GCD and a potential BT/RC/RE), it's hit>exp

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hit/expertise cap either.

My survivability is insane as it is, and I don't miss/get dodged/parried enough for me to consider going for caps.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I don't hit/expertise cap either.

My survivability is insane as it is, and I don't miss/get dodged/parried enough for me to consider going for caps.
    What's the point of insane survivability if you can sacrifice a bit of it to gain a significant dps increase?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just capped hit for now, and slowly working on expertise. Outside of spellhit though, expertise feels rather meh, only benefiting heart, auto and half of DS, but I'll get there within the tier I hope.

I just like being able to know my skills will land, steady rp gain, I can count on 10RP for scent within the second for rune strike, so I get the last charges for a rune than again makes me able to squeeze out a well timed DS. Missed outbreaks, yawn!

Also, I'm not too proud of our raids dps, it's lacking in certain places, so I feel very comfortable being able to push a few more K's to carry us past enrages and whatnot. And in the end, if anything does kill me, it's not oom healers from a few extra attacks I didn't avoid, it's burst and me autopilot spamming DS's and cocking it up, or raid failure of course! ;D

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    if i were to try and cap hit/expertise i would lose about 10.5% mastery and about 3% avoidance (dodge/parry). starting from 0.69% hit and 2.85% expertise.

so far i'm choosing to let my gear naturally move me towards the caps, but may change my mind if we start having dps problems...
    Last edited by solid77; 2012-11-08 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    What's the point of insane survivability if you can sacrifice a bit of it to gain a significant dps increase?
    because the tanks job is to mitigate damage?

if you're hitting enrage timers then the problem is with the dps in the group.

though hit and exp will help it is counterproductive to sacrifice defensive stats for it, using that logic a tank should just tank in dps gear then so they can max dps.

Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    1) because the tanks job is to mitigate damage?

2) if you're hitting enrage timers then the problem is with the dps in the group.

3) though hit and exp will help it is counterproductive to sacrifice defensive stats for it, using that logic a tank should just tank in dps gear then so they can max dps.
    1) The tank's job is to:
    a) Survive burst damage to do so you need enough stamina/armor
    b) Mitigate damage to a point where the amount of healers you have can heal you without running oom
    c) Do as much damage as possible
    d) mitigate even more damage
    e) get even more health.
    And since a) is covered pretty soon and b) doesn't need to much mitigation either you can go for c.

2) I've got 1 word for this: Bullshit. You can't just blame your dds while you're wasting a few thousand dps on stats you don't actually need to stay alive.

3) Ferals and Monk tanks do that as well and monks have their defensive stats on low prio..... Also since "dps gear" can have plenty of decent stat combinations (mastery+hit/exp/haste) I don't see why dps gear would be so wrong.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2012-11-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    1) The tank's job is to:
    b) Mitigate damage to a point where the amount of healers you have can heal you without running oom
    e) get even more heal.
    And since a) is covered pretty soon and b) doesn't need to much mitigation either you can go for c.

2) I've got 1 word for this: Bullshit. You can't just blame your dds while you're wasting a few thousand dps on stats you don't actually need to stay alive.

3) Ferals and Monk tanks do that as well and monks have their defensive stats on low prio..... Also since "dps gear" can have plenty of decent stat combinations (mastery+hit/exp/haste) I don't see why dps gear would be so wrong.
    I've come around to this kind of thinking. I've noticed consistent RP gen and thus more DS's WITH more SoB stacks than I did before hitting 5% hit/4% exp. I know that's not capped, but it makes a huge difference already.

1) The tank's job is to:
    e) get even more health.

druids and monks are totally different to blood dks as tanks, so you can't compare gear or what they reforge to

It's pretty easy to get to the 7.5% hit cap and beyond that expertise doesn't increase things AS much, but getting a bit more doesn't hurt. Really, as soon as you hitcap Rune Strike your DPS goes up quite a lot.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

This is coming from a 10 man point of view, so take it with a grain of salt if you are doing 25 man.

I have the luxury of being able to have both a tanking and DPS set of around 487i both and what I notice in damage reduction between both sets is pretty minimal on most bosses on normal mode. The only boss where you would want to go for full mitigation is at the moment Will of the Emperor and Blade Lord Tayak, where tank damage is so high that surviving the blows is of paramount interest.

Now, I hold top 10 spots on several fights right now and I must say, our healers have zero problems with me going for full DPS gear with 7.5%hit>7.5%exp>Mastery reforges, I lose about 15% mastery and 3% avoidance (Thank god for Strength giving Parry at rediculous amounts) and gain at LEAST 10k more DPS.

In a 10 man group 10K DPS is NOTHING to disregard, it actually makes or breaks an attempt on bosses with tight enrage timers when you're having "undergeared" players.

Ofcourse this varies between 10 man and 25 man, because bosses hit harder on 25, but your personal DPS also matters just that little bit less than in 10 man.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    i reforged last night to the 7.5% hit/exp caps and didn't feel much of a difference in mitigation (lost 10% mastery and around 3% avoidance). i will have to say QoL is a little better since nothing really misses... i see a light increase in RP and therefore see my runes refresh faster (runic corruption). the biggest reason i reforged is that tanks haven't been dying yet for the bosses we're on and we could really use the dps (10 man).