Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

181k Crit Chaos Bolt?!?! Thru 58% Resilience?!?!

I've pretty much worked my butt off to get every piece of PvP gear available for honor minus my neck piece, and still using 4 of the crafted pieces (they're next for replacement). I have 58.39% resilience and 25.99% power. I'm a holy paladin.

This evening while PvPing, I was hit for a 181k crit chaos bolt [...Chaos Bolt hit You 125549 Shadow. (56448 Overkill) (Critical)]. How does this happen? Seems a little unfair to me and I'm sure its happened to others. I have a good screenshot of my character window and combat log together if anyone wants to see it. Was I unlucky? Has my gear grind been pointless? Or is there an exploit for chaos bolt?

It seems to be the same story every season, the melee can wail on me 'till the cows come home but casters tear you apart.

Anyhow, I want to keep this as whine free as possible. Any suggestions, helpful feedback and constructive opinions are welcome.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    dw it's balanced. Also take into consideration warlocks can be interrupt immune through a certain buff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    Also take into consideration warlocks can be interrupt immune through a certain buff.
    Thats what scatter shoot / intimidation are for.

Inb4 all the pvp warlocks come yelling: "BUT IT HAS SETUP TIME !!11"

Seems to me that only option you have is LoSing it since it has pretty long cast time and you have time to react to that (Temple of Mogushan or w/e it is, has some nice pillars to hump for example).

Chaos bolt always crits plus the damage is increased based on the crit.

However having said that it is easy to counter Chaos Bolt because you first need to build embers (which in pvp is kind of slow) and more important the cast takes 3 secs unbuffed.

Easy way to deal with CB is to interrupt the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Soltsu View Post
    Inb4 all the pvp warlocks come yelling: "BUT IT HAS SETUP TIME !!11"

Seems to me that only option you have is LoSing it since it has pretty long cast time and you have time to react to that (Temple of Mogushan or w/e it is, has some nice pillars to hump for example).

And yes you have to set it up like you said and like you said it has a long cast time (3 secs in pvp is really long).

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    dw it's balanced. Also take into consideration warlocks can be interrupt immune through a certain buff.
    Line of Sight is difficult

OT: if you allow this lock to cast a 3 second chaos bolt on you, you deserve to get critted with a 181k bolt.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    181k is nothing, there was a complaint on GM twitter like 2 weeks ago about one around 381k vs 55% reduction.

Response: It's fine, chaos bolt takes a while to set up. (Basically. You can search the exact question and answer quote here, it was in a front page post.)

it doesnt take awhile to set up though that is the point. ive had destro locks burst me down just like that within 5 sec of combat in 2v2 arena. i also play a holy paladin and range interupt isnt an option for me. 3 sec cast is base cast time tell me level 90 dont have any haste lol.

Its all well and good to say it has cast time/can be interrupted etc, but I'm a holy paladin. I spend all my time looking at the alliance raid frames and my spells etc. I basically have to rely on others to interrupt it for me. I'm guessing they're stacking haste and crit to get them off hard and fast. I can accept that its controllable in an arena situation if you're smart enough, but in a battleground situation we just have to wear it it seems.

"OT: if you allow this lock to cast a 3 second chaos bolt on you, you deserve to get critted with a 181k bolt." Really? As I said, I'm a healer. On the off chance I had him targeted rather than a friendly target, and he was in range for rebuke, the chances of me alone stopping this are pretty slim.

Just want to make this clear as it is not specifically stated in my original post, this was in a random BG. My main point I'm trying to highlight, and others have bought it up as well, is the amount of damage through the amount of resilience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chaos Bolt is the only spell that takes the longest time to set up, but also is the hardest hitter. Unlike nearly all other spells, Chaos Bolt's damage in increased via 4 ways- Crit, Mastery, PvP Power, and Int. Guess what? Most warlock pvp gear, such as the 450, 458, ect, has mostly Crit/Mastery on it, so Chaos Bolt will hit like nuclear missles.

So, you just have to be very careful around Destro locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneith View Post
    Its all well and good to say it has cast time/can be interrupted etc, but I'm a holy paladin. I spend all my time looking at the alliance raid frames and my spells etc. I basically have to rely on others to interrupt it for me. I'm guessing they're stacking haste and crit to get them off hard and fast. I can accept that its controllable in an arena situation if you're smart enough, but in a battleground situation we just have to wear it it seems.

"OT: if you allow this lock to cast a 3 second chaos bolt on you, you deserve to get critted with a 181k bolt." Really? As I said, I'm a healer. On the off chance I had him targeted rather than a friendly target, and he was in range for rebuke, the chances of me alone stopping this are pretty slim.

Just want to make this clear as it is not specifically stated in my original post, this was in a random BG. My main point I'm trying to highlight, and others have bought it up as well, is the amount of damage through the amount of resilience.
    If your not focusing on anything but the raid frame and your spell bar, you deserve to get hit with my Choas Bolts every single time. And before anyone says i'm just saying that because i play destro, I PvP on my holy pally all the time and always look at what's going on around me like i'm supposed to be doing. Stop expecting other people to do everything while you just sit back wanting to just heal and not actually play.

Oh, and my lock always focuses on the healer every time, if a lock is hitting DPS and not you, he deservers to die.

I lol at healers complaining. What? Something can kill you once in a blue moon because you're being bad and not instant healing double the amount of the chaos bolt? Honestly if you can't heal through even a double chaos bolt then YOU'RE the problem not destro locks.

Yes burst is an issue. It's likely chaos bolt will get hit by the nerf bat. But not because of healer complaints (because they're completely invalid).
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Heh, they can try to heal through my healer rotation but it usually doesn't work ^_~

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I lol at healers complaining. What? Something can kill you once in a blue moon because you're being bad and not instant healing double the amount of the chaos bolt? Honestly if you can't heal through even a double chaos bolt then YOU'RE the problem not destro locks.

Yes burst is an issue. It's likely chaos bolt will get hit by the nerf bat. But not because of healer complaints (because they're completely invalid).
    What? No, like seriously, what? Did you just imply a healer should be able to instantly heal half of someone's HP? If all healer's could do that instantly, on a dime, without any warning, PVP healing would be even more broken than it is now. (Says the Mistwalker who is very aware that holding a flag against five other players for more than a minute is pretty broken as it is)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotesbart View Post
    181k is nothing, there was a complaint on GM twitter like 2 weeks ago about one around 381k vs 55% reduction.

Response: It's fine, chaos bolt takes a while to set up. (Basically. You can search the exact question and answer quote here, it was in a front page post.)
    You're paraphrasing he did not say that.

Considering all the setup and the amount of time it takes to cast I have to say you're getting outplayed if you get this cast on you, you're healer that is. You should be pillar humping. On a side note gladiatorlossa probably has a warning for chaos bolt being cast, and you can see how many embers they have on them right?

Gotta love all those people "OMG I GOT HIT THAT MUCH, AND I HAVE SO MUCH RESILIENCE!()%(#%#"%!!!oneone1"
    Pvp power would like to say hello.

Deleted
    So it's obvious we have all of the information available to say where the damage is being taken, i.e. the context/situation!

Which BG were you in? Did the warlock have berserking buff? Was warrior's skull banner down? Does the warlock have the pvp weapon (boosting his damage another 10-ish% vs you)?

Mentality of people towards high numbers is beyond stupid, I see nobody crying out at Shatter Combos... because that's the norm now! Which if executed properly can be done with more frequency than chaosbolt, do much more damage than a chaosbolt and much harder to counter than a chaosbolt.

But yeah... Cry chaos.

out of everything you picked chaos bolt.. you picked locks ?
    god forbid something dies in this game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    What? No, like seriously, what? Did you just imply a healer should be able to instantly heal half of someone's HP? If all healer's could do that instantly, on a dime, without any warning, PVP healing would be even more broken than it is now. (Says the Mistwalker who is very aware that holding a flag against five other players for more than a minute is pretty broken as it is)
    Yeah you should. Try harder at getting those balanced 400k NS heal crits that somehow nobody complains about.