10+ Year Old Account

Thread Display Settings - Hide Embedded Video

In our "post display" settings we can disable avatars, signatures and images on the justification of them being a hefty load time for people posting from low bandwidth connections or from their phones, but there is no option for embedded videos which are usually much bigger both in physical dimensions but also in bandwidth impact. I'd really love if we were had the option to hide embedded videos in forum threads by having it display as a link instead.

I realise we use vbulletin and there are limitations on what we can and can't do, so I'm not sure if this is a realistic option. BUT FIGURED WORTH ASKING. I searched around to see if there was some kind of plugin for the forum and this was the closest thing I found which unfortunately seems to rely on users posting them with a [hide] tag. Lame
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-11-03 at 07:48 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    I would support this option too. Especially for some of the music threads, have it replace the video embed with the url instead.

Deleted
    I'd like to see this happening too.

I go a lot to the K/J-pop thread and the What Are You Listening Now thread and it takes a lot of time for the page to load because of the videos. :/

Also, if this is possible to do with videos, will it also be possible to do this with images/gifs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Also, if this is possible to do with videos, will it also be possible to do this with images/gifs?
    You can already do this with images. Go to your Settings control panel, General Settings then scroll about halfway down to "Thread Display Options" and uncheck the images box. It will display all images as a link rather than imbedded.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    You can already do this with images. Go to your Settings control panel, General Settings then scroll about halfway down to "Thread Display Options" and uncheck the images box. It will display all images as a link rather than imbedded.
    Ah, I see, it's done. Thanks.

I do hope that there will be an option like this for videos. It would be amazing.

Deleted
    Embedded videos already use the [video] tag, so it should be possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Embedded videos already use the [video] tag, so it should be possible.
    So who do I need to bribe?

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    My android itself doesn't seem to want to display youtube to begin with, so I don't know much to do with that.
    However if you 'want'. You can do this with adblock (implying you don't use it anywhere else).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35156/ytex.png
    What it does is turn on adblock for that specific site, in this case mmo-champion.com. Everywhere else it will be off. You can add as many sites to that code.
    You may disable whenever you want, but that does require some extra effort.
    Obviously fetching for the link is going to be a hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    My android itself doesn't seem to want to display youtube to begin with, so I don't know much to do with that.
    However if you 'want'. You can do this with adblock (implying you don't use it anywhere else).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35156/ytex.png
    What it does is turn on adblock for that specific site, in this case mmo-champion.com. Everywhere else it will be off. You can add as many sites to that code.
    You may disable whenever you want, but that does require some extra effort.
    Obviously fetching for the link is going to be a hassle.
    Yeah, that's a little bit above what I want. It's not really worth the hassle since I'm not that choked for bandwidth, I just think it's the kind of feature the forums should have, because it makes sense and because I think a lot of people --myself included -- would appreciate it.

| twitch | bsky
    |