Deleted

Calories in Gin?

Hi, I tried googling but got a lot of conflicted answers, can anyone tell me how many calories are in Gin? Say in a 1 liter bottle? I am sure Alcohol is killing my diet but I cannot find any real evidence, I only drink Vodka and Gin and apparently alcohol wise these are the best choices, that true?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Hi, I tried googling but got a lot of conflicted answers, can anyone tell me how many calories are in Gin? Say in a 1 liter bottle? I am sure Alcohol is killing my diet but I cannot find any real evidence, I only drink Vodka and Gin and apparently alcohol wise these are the best choices, that true?

Many thanks.
    Wine is the best choice as it has some health benefits. But to answer your question, 1 liter of gin is around 2500 calories. A bit less or more depending on the brand. Vodka is about the same.

Alcohol, in general, sucks for dieting not because of its calorie content but because you are far more likely to eat while drunk since it is much harder to control yourself when you are drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Wine is the best choice as it has some health benefits. But to answer your question, 1 liter of gin is around 2500 calories. A bit less or more depending on the brand. Vodka is about the same.

Alcohol, in general, sucks for dieting not because of its calorie content but because you are far more likely to eat while drunk since it is much harder to control yourself when you are drunk.
    2500 calories per liter? Are you 100% sure about that? I had no idea it was that high, no wonder my diet is lagging behind.

Deleted
    72 Calories per 1 shot.

2500 calories per liter? Are you 100% sure about that? I had no idea it was that high, no wonder my diet is lagging behind.
    It could be 2200 if its generic 40 proof. That's about 65 calories per oz and there are 33.814 oz per liter = 2198 calories.

Deleted
    Crikey, time to cut down then. Thanks for the swift answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexedlol View Post
    72 Calories per 1 shot.
    It's actually somewhat higher depending on what you're drinking. I've seen numbers range from 55 to 135 calories per oz. To put that into perspective, a can of coca-cola is about 160 calories.

Of course it depends on the Gin or Vodka.

Deleted
    I always drink it with zero calorie tonic water, i know for a fact that stuff wont hurt my diet. Seems like the booze itself is the issue not the mixer.

Deleted
    alcohol contains a lot of calories, and i would suggest staying away from it if you can.

its really not benefitial for your health in any way. not in any way thats obtainable from other (and more healthy) food products

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    alcohol contains a lot of calories, and i would suggest staying away from it if you can.

its really not benefitial for your health in any way. not in any way thats obtainable from other (and more healthy) food products
    I drink it purely for pleasure and fun.

I drink it purely for pleasure and fun.

or you can use drugs, barley have any colories.

But they are illegal..
    Except for weed in my country... but that's just me. But beer stay away from that. it contains alot of calories.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

It's best to cut way back on drinking if you're on a diet. Alcohol contains more calories (per gram) than carbonhydrate and protein .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    or you can use drugs, barley have any colories.

But they are illegal..
    Except for weed in my country... but that's just me. But beer stay away from that. it contains alot of calories.
    Not really an option with my job, not that that was a sensible suggestion to start with, thanks.

Alcohol has the second greatest amount of calories per weight, only just behind fat. In addition, alcohol is burnt preferentially over fat, carbohydrate, and protein, because it is a toxin. This means alcohol is the first energy source to be burnt by the body, and this prevents fat from being burnt until all the alcohol has been oxidized. Any fat that is not burnt because alcohol has been used preferentially is stored.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    It's best to cut way back on drinking if you're on a diet. Alcohol contains more calories (per gram) than carbonhydrate and protein .
    Yeah, I think I will drink once a month as a treat, thats when I have my treat day too. Better to have one really bad cheat day than several bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezee View Post
    Alcohol has the second greatest amount of calories per weight, only just behind fat. In addition, alcohol is burnt preferentially over fat, carbohydrate, and protein, because it is a toxin. This means alcohol is the first energy source to be burnt by the body, and this prevents fat from being burnt until all the alcohol has been oxidized. Any fat that is not burnt because alcohol has been used preferentially is stored.
    ... I was with you until the last three sentences as it is irrelevant what source of energy the body uses first. Excess calories are stored as fat (and muscle to a lesser degree). Period.