Hunter PTR Changes, PvP

The three things I want to discuss are...

-The new aimed shot Glyph
    -The removal of Aotf
    -The changes to Careful aim
    -The changes to Steady Aim

At first glance these buffs didn't seem all that big to me, because I was a little intoxicated. Then I realized the extra damage SS and CS will get from Aoth or Aoti will allow double scaling with gear (yea i know it already did that but aotf kinda made it a bit annoying to use successfully in some pvp situations.) Top that off with the buffs to careful aim and steady aim and you get some serious numbers to crunch around. Then throw in the new aimed shot glyph and bam. You have now have a MM hunter who is capable of putting up constant damage while on the move with high amounts of burst capabilities, that do more damage based on if the target is at high health.

So with all those things taken into account, and if it goes live, is anyone else afraid of the massive scaling that hunters will receive over the next few seasons? or will this just bring MM hunters up to par with class/specs like arms warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    The three things I want to discuss are...

-The new aimed shot Glyph
    -The removal of Aotf
    -The changes to Careful aim
    -The changes to Steady Aim
    I chuckled a little bit...
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

this isn't enough when chimera shot hits less than kill command, costs more focus and has 3 more seconds of cooldown.

I really hope MM becomes the pvp spec of choice again as I wouldnt mind seeing BM unplayable (always been the least skilled hunter spec, pretty much least skilled of any spec). MM hunters were essentially "ranged rogues" in cata and had imo the highest skillcap and had r1 viable comps. They dont need stupid high damage like BM does now with the amount of control, mobility, and utility that hunters can bring. Allowing MM to essentially always move while doing anything but not buffing the damage seems like a good change to me, as long as BM gets toned down by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by thisnamesucks View Post
    I really hope MM becomes the pvp spec of choice again as I wouldnt mind seeing BM unplayable (always been the least skilled hunter spec, pretty much least skilled of any spec). MM hunters were essentially "ranged rogues" in cata and had imo the highest skillcap and had r1 viable comps. They dont need stupid high damage like BM does now with the amount of control, mobility, and utility that hunters can bring. Allowing MM to essentially always move while doing anything but not buffing the damage seems like a good change to me, as long as BM gets toned down by a lot.
    do you even play a hunter?

to play BM properly it takes the most player skill.. granted you are talking PvP and PvP is always going to be far more about gear then skill...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sorry but as of right now, BM is one of the most complex rotations in the game. With no defined 'rotation' besides understanding which abilities goes best together and knowing how to make proper use of the many cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post

to play BM properly it takes the most player skill.. granted you are talking PvP and PvP is always going to be far more about gear then skill...
    Sorry your favorite spec is getting nerfed, sorry it needs to happen, don't worry, if you are a skilled as you say you should be able to find a way around it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 02:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Switchshot View Post
    Yeah sorry but as of right now, BM is one of the most complex rotations in the game. With no defined 'rotation' besides understanding which abilities goes best together and knowing how to make proper use of the many cooldowns.
    It can be that way... or it can be simpletons using 1 shot macros and mashing arcane shot till something dies.

Sorry your favorite spec is getting nerfed, sorry it needs to happen, don't worry, if you are a skilled as you say you should be able to find a way around it.

It can be that way... or it can be simpletons using 1 shot macros and mashing arcane shot till something dies.
    BM nerfed? lol maybe in pvp but from a pure pve standpoint all we got is a buff.

Edit: my bad didn't read all of the title... Just saw the "Hunter PTR Changes" part. Didn't know it was a pvp thread.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-11-04 at 04:24 AM.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Deleted

But the thing is, even as MM, hunters take (at top levels) the most skill to play perfectly and its effort to reward ratio have never been really high enough. So, if you want skill from a player, no matter the spec, a hunter will probably be your choice of class.

And then adding even more skill to that with going BM of MM as you say is just a retarded, assuming they perform equally.

Dude stop your bullshit TBC attitude, it doesn't have to be about killing one spec for another spec to live, I enjoy all three specs and everyone have the right to favor whatever spec he likes based on his play style.

Deleted
    i guess you are feeling bitter but sorry to say , Bm has been fixed not nerfed, dont get it wrong.. there might have been one unreasnable change but not a deal breaker.... just telling u so you wont stop being bitter nd continue qqin for bm nerf..............

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 06:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    Dude stop your bullshit TBC attitude, it doesn't have to be about killing one spec for another spec to live, I enjoy all three specs and everyone have the right to favor whatever spec he likes based on his play style.
    well said..........................

MM and surv will still be horrible after this change. Damage from both of those specs (from a pvp standpoint) is terrible. There will need to be A LOT more buffs to those specs and MM in general before they are viable. Steady hitting for 1000 more damage is great and all but it still hits like a wet noodle and is blown away by cobra shot. These QOL are just that and that have been long overdue. The aim shot buff is basically a BG buff because in any arena you won't be able to chain cast aimed shots against decent teams.

Deleted

Our spec isn't nerfed, it's toned to what it should be in the first place, if anything with the aspect changes, we'll be more powerful than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    this isn't enough when chimera shot hits less than kill command, costs more focus and has 3 more seconds of cooldown.
    this.. Buff the damage also and mm can make a comback
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

MM just doesn't do enough pressure, and those PTR changes don't look that great either. Those glyphs are more of a quality-of-life improvement imo, as some of them have been suggested many seasons ago iirc.

BM may have the burst, but with Stampede 'unbugged', it's biggest CD is now quite laughable, something that all high-end PvP hunters will need to adapt to, and in this case, switching specs is something that I'm sure they are all definitely considering, if feasible. I'm definitely hoping MM gets some further improvements and buffs to its damage.

With regards to the glyphs - some more mobility letting us cast Aimed Shot on the move is great, but it won't really be game changing or substantial, as we really need some damage buffs in some of our other departments. As some people have already brought up, making Chimera Shot hit harder is a good start, since it has a long CD and costs a bit more focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Our spec isn't nerfed, it's toned to what it should be in the first place, if anything with the aspect changes, we'll be more powerful than before.
    You're....kidding....right? The aspect change gives you a few K (that's being generous) more damage on cobra shot and makes it so you don't have to aspect dance (something decent hunters could already do), it definitely does NOT make BM spec "more powerful than before". The change to Bestial Wrath is enough to seriously change (read: cripple) the spec as it is. I'm all for toning down Stampede and I don't even really care that they changed Lynx Rush, but changing Bestial Wrath sticks a fork in the spec IMO and leaves it high and dry. The damage and/or burst of BM is centered around have BW up every minute and having a consistent source of damage in a pet that can't be CC'd. Since healers can only dispell once every 8secs and the mend pet glyph is still meh, expect quite a few of your BWs to be nullified due to your pet being CC'd and you waiting on mend pet to tick.

Sweeping changes with no real compensation or buffs (to other specs or in general) are why after getting 22xx or 23xx in Cata that I quite doing arena/pvp as a whole for the duration of the expansion. Hunter was horrible as a class in Cata unless they were being coddled/carried/babysat by the FOTM classes (feral, dk, warrior). I hope that Blizzard isn't going to go that same route and shaft the class. I wouldn't be surprised if they did however, as it didn't really matter much to them in Cata so I don't see why it would now.

BM requires the least player skill of any of the specs because you have a nigh unstoppable (thank god for this change to BW) pet that does most of your damage without you having to think. Plus LOS is less of a problem because hunters are now essentially 40 yrd melee and the fact that your pet is still on targets in LOS. All cc is ranged and instant, I havent played a hunter in MoP but I did in cata and MM was very difficult because you had to chain cc effectively and positioning and setting up burst is crucial. Now I walk into 2200 mmr matchs against kfc where hunters blow everything and spam all cds out of stealth and get a kill in 5 seconds. Havent played an arena since the stampede hotfix so hopefully its more reasonable but still. We are talking pvp here ofc.

Why would you actually want hunters to only have 2/3 viable specs. Cant we just get 3 viable specs and choose what we like or to fill a certain niche in a raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknrule View Post
    Why would you actually want hunters to only have 2/3 viable specs. Cant we just get 3 viable specs and choose what we like or to fill a certain niche in a raid.
    Or just have marks in top spot in pvp, let pve be w.e cos it's easy to pve.