Backing up Steam games

When I use the Steam Backup and Restore feature it asks me what file size I want to use and there are two preset options for CD and DVD sizes and a custom size.

If I want to simply back it up to my HDD should I just use a custom size that is the size of the installation (for instance my Metro 2033 is 6780MB) and that's it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Easiest option? Copy the "Steam\steamapps\" folder in it's entirety. Or, if it's just 1 game, copy "steam\steamapps\<name of game>\". When you reinstall, simply install Steam (but don't start it once install is complete), then copy your game(s) back. Alternatively, just copy the whole folder, reinstall, then download Steam (but don't install it yet), copy the entire directory back to where you want it, and then install Steam as normal.

I've used that last one myself and it's really just a case that Steam simply reinstates the required registry entries and uses your existing files, with no need to redownload. You can move the Steam directory between systems and then just run the installer again and it'll work without a problem (no guarantees about across different versions of Windows and certainly none if copying between entirely different operating systems such as Windows to Mac or vice versa).

If you must use the backup and restore option, then yes, set it to the size of the installation.
    Ah thanks mate, copying the entire steamapps folder would be my choice but I wasn't sure about registry entries and stuff. I have over 100 games in my library and it'd be good being able to eventually download them all and put every single one into my backup HDD and copy it over when I want to play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Ah thanks mate, copying the entire steamapps folder would be my choice but I wasn't sure about registry entries and stuff. I have over 100 games in my library and it'd be good being able to eventually download them all and put every single one into my backup HDD and copy it over when I want to play it.
    If you wish, delete everything but the steamapps folder and the steam.exe. This way you can migrate it to any drive and the only thing you need to do is click the steam.exe and it'll reinstall only steam and you don't need to do anything else.
    Just move the entire folder.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

Done this to move my games from HDD to SSD.