Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mogu'Shan Vaults with Ranged DPS only

Hi guys and girls,

I'm a raidleader in slight distress, I've two of my melee dps drop out of our raiding group recently. This makes that I now have to tackle Mogu'shan 10 man with 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 ranged dps. Aside the fact this messes up my buff plan, and let's also not discuss the fact that this means we will have to change tactics, train 2 new people etc, my question is very simple:

Is it possible to tackle the various bosses in Mogu'Shan Vaults with only Ranged DPS?

My view on this is that it hugely depends from boss to boss:

- Stone Guard: Yes, if somewhat awkward with the chains and our healers might not be that happy if raid is spread too much
    - Feng: Probably yes, although this might make for a tough fight in phases 2 and 3 due to the fire trails and Arcane resonance
    - Garaja-fellow: I doubt it is possible to do this fight without melee
    - Spirit Kings: Might be doable, depends hugely on people not getting caught in flanking orders and with averag people spread of ranged dps, this might be problematic
    - Elegon: now here's a fight I think might pass with only ranged dps, if only the tanks job will be hellish
    - Qu-Jin: No idea how to tackle this without melee dps

Please give me your ideas about this,

Thanks in advance,

Tolben

Yes it can be done with all range, personally i find it easier with out melle

Deleted
    Its overall easier with only ranged, but loot distrubition sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, Ill send some melee from my guild to yours and you give me those darn ranged people.

We usually raid with just 1 or 2 ranged... And when only 2 healers needed I can go SP.
    So what you have there is something I would actually like to experience

Deleted
    Thanks for your responses, this actually gives me some hope for tomorrow evening

T.

It'll be easier with all ranged. Especially on fights like stoneguard and feng, reduced raid damage mostly.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Tolben View Post
    Hi guys and girls,

I'm a raidleader in slight distress, I've two of my melee dps drop out of our raiding group recently. This makes that I now have to tackle Mogu'shan 10 man with 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 ranged dps. Aside the fact this messes up my buff plan, and let's also not discuss the fact that this means we will have to change tactics, train 2 new people etc, my question is very simple:

Is it possible to tackle the various bosses in Mogu'Shan Vaults with only Ranged DPS?

- Stone Guard: Yes, if somewhat awkward with the chains and our healers might not be that happy if raid is spread too much
    - Feng: Probably yes, although this might make for a tough fight in phases 2 and 3 due to the fire trails and Arcane resonance
    - Spirit Kings: Might be doable, depends hugely on people not getting caught in flanking orders and with averag people spread of ranged dps, this might be problematic
    - Elegon: now here's a fight I think might pass with only ranged dps, if only the tanks job will be hellish

Thanks in advance,

Tolben

- Stone Guard: why would chains ever bother ranged, the only time they move is out of bombs or pools, melee also move every time the tanks taunt or move the mobs.
    - Feng: no real issue, ranged better for EQ phase, arcane phase shouldn't be a problem, plenty space to spread in 10 man
    - Garaja-fellow: ranged better, they can attack everything in shadow realm from the same spot the totem ported them, without running around, and healers top them up much easier because they're stacked
    - Spirit Kings: ranged no different than melee, either way you need to stack or move at different times.
    - Elegon: ranged better in almost every aspect (except for maybe burst on sparks), attacking protectors/elegon without running around, not having to run out to reset debuff, alternating between sparks to boss without running back to melee range.
    - Qu-Jin: have one ranged dps with good mobility "tank" strength just like any melee would, or even have one of the tanks tank a strength together with the boss dancing will be tougher, but just zerg it faster.

Not sure why you would be worried outside of covering buffs. I'm struggling to find a fight that would be easier with melee in it.

Stone guard: Less chance of a ranged being chained to someone miles away so most of your raid can stick close together to make things easier for your healers.

Feng: Melee will have no impact on fire or resonance. If everyone is executing the tactics properly it won't matter at all. In fact the fire will probably be easier as you won't have any melee losing uptime on the boss to move out.

Garajal: Again no melee shouldn't make any difference to the tactics or their execution.

Spirit kings: As long as people are stacking for maddening shout and for the cleave on the first boss, having more ranged to spread out and kite stuff should actually make this easier. Unless they are being stupid and stacking during arrows. No-one should get hit by flanking orders regardless of ranged or melee. The damn things move so slow you could probably swim through treacle fast enough to get out of it.

Elegon: Just flat out easier due to uptime on the boss.

WoE: Depends what you usually have your melee do. We only bring one and he usually comes off the boss to tank the strength so if you do that you may lose the boss dps between gasses. You can easily have a ranged do that job as well though. I've tanked the occasional strength on my hunter just to prove how easy it was to our melee so they would stop moaning about it. If your not sitting anyone on the boss just make sure your multi-dotters keeping dotting up the bosses while dealing with the adds.

Tldr: Yeah it will be fine without melee.

6 people above me failed sarcasm detection.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Holy shit guys, hook, line and sinker.

Engage brains then post!

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't be too hard, the raid will be mostly stacked up
    Fire trails will be easier, and you'll have higher uptime on bosses (most range can cast atleast some spells while moving), for P3 stay within about 6 yards of the boss, whoever gets the debuff run away and the rest stacks up. Not too hard.
    Oh, you're so funny.. No seriously it'll be easier as you'll have higher uptime on the adds in the spirit realm.
    Range have it easier if they don't suck, you'll have higher uptime on the boss (not needing to worry about moving away from the boss during flanking orders), they can stay in the middle (mostly) and have more time to react to flanking orders, and not at all a problem.
    Why will the tanks problem get harder? They have to change litterally NOTHING to deal with this change. Drag the mobs to the same place, kill at the same place, run back to the boss, repeat. Also higher uptime on the adds.
    It's not a dps race, and you'll have more dps to kill the adds, so more time on the boss for you range (strengths might be slightly annoying, but having a Hpala with Righteous fury tanking it shouldn't be too much of a problem (if you have one that is), otherwise just MD on a person with a shield and zerg them)

So uhm.. Where were your problems?
    Last edited by Temp name; 2012-11-04 at 11:57 AM.

The only one I see you having issues with is H SK. Two of the mobs in there require substantial interrupts to make life easier. Every melee has a 15s interrupt while not every ranged does.

You may have some issues with HoF though. Half the fights in there heavily favor cleaving, which certain melee excel at. Blade Flurry is godly on bosses 3, 4, and 5; and the enrages can be tight if you're undergeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Holy shit guys, hook, line and sinker.

Engage brains then post!
    Perhaps some of us are less cynical than others and believe a forum may actually be used by someone with genuine questions. Some of us like to help and not just mock everyone else.

Clearly that sentiment is lost on the pair of you. I'll remember next time you dare as a question on these forums though....

Quote Originally Posted by XanderJS View Post
    Perhaps some of us are less cynical than others and believe a forum may actually be used by someone with genuine questions. Some of us like to help and not just mock everyone else.

Clearly that sentiment is lost on the pair of you. I'll remember next time you dare as a question on these forums though....
    1) Every single ability listed in the first post favors ranged over melee (every single player who has done the instance in normal mode knows it)
    2) It's no secret that melee has serious disadvantage in every single raid encounter for the last five years or so, with the exception of Ragnaros.
    3) This forum has become cesspool of the worst of WoW community over the past few years.

So yeah... Odds at this thread being genuine ask for help is about the same as the droprate of Ashes of Al'ar.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    1) Every single ability listed in the first post favors ranged over melee (every single player who has done the instance in normal mode knows it)
    2) It's no secret that melee has serious disadvantage in every single raid encounter for the last five years or so, with the exception of Ragnaros.
    3) This forum has become cesspool of the worst of WoW community over the past few years.

So yeah... Odds at this thread being genuine ask for help is about the same as the droprate of Ashes of Al'ar.
    My previous comment remains. As for your 3rd point, you've made a conscious decision to post a mocking comment. So rather than look at the thread, have a little chuckle to yourself and move on you thought it would be a better idea to add to the cesspool? Intriguing logic I must say.

spirit kings heroic will kinda suck with not enough interrupts (you need 3 interrupts for 15s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tolben View Post
    Hi guys and girls,

I think having all ranged would make this actually easier because all of the ranged and healer can stack together in one group.
    Once again having groups in the center would make it easier for positioning of fire drops and also for Arcane resonance as you won't have to worry about melee hitting tanks or running out and hitting ranged
    Not sure what pivotal role melee plays for your group but your casters could stand by the totem spawn points for easy transition in and out of spirit realm
    If people are getting caught in flanking orders thats just bad play...in essence it should be easier for casters to see where it is coming from since they aren't directly on top of the boss
    Just because they are ranged doesn't mean they have to be max distance to the boss. I would suggest a couple small groups within taunt range.
    Not sure what the issues are here since adds are coming from everywhere you should see better dps output from ranged as they won't have to run from target to target.

Thanks in advance,

Tolben
    Please see responses in bold above.

the droprate of Ashes of Al'ar.
    It was buffed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This forum has become cesspool of the worst of WoW community over the past few years.
    Hakahaka haruuuuuuuuuunghh???
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Every fight in Mogu Vault favors ranged in somewhay. Feng and Guards (no ranged chained to melee ftw) should be way easier with just ranged, Garajal is much better as well cause ranged ppl have a much easier time killing adds on spirit realm since they dont have to waste anytime walking from an add to the other and they cna also preenptvely stay on the totem range while they wait the group whos inside to come out and melee cant (unless youre willing to waste the dps on the boss but thats suboptmal to say the least), Elegon ranged can just stay on the edge of the circle and drop debufs by simply stepping out for a sec also they have an easier time switching from one orb to the next if they kill the orb theyre focusing on phase 2 and need to move less overall on the pilar killing phase, Spirit Kings is much easier for ranged cause all the movement that goes on (they dont need ot try to keep up with the bosses (can just scater to avoid mehcanics and still dps the boss) and Will of the Emperor with adds everywhere also favor ranged as they dont need to get to melee range (therofore wasting time) before they can kill the adds (melee mostly sits on the boss on this fight, if you need someone else dodging devastating combos for extra damage on boss have a hunter or somethign go melee range with one of the bosses and sit there the whole fight, he can even kill adds while on the boss melee range somethign a melee wouldnt be able to do).

On the history of WoW there are very few fights that favor melee over ranged, its almost always the other way around. Heart of fear also seens to follow this trend with basicaly every fight beeing easier to be handled by ranged than melee.
    Last edited by DakonBlackblade; 2012-11-04 at 03:12 PM.