10+ Year Old Account

[Fury]Need some help

Hey guys.

I've picked up PvE Fury as my offspec (Prot being main). I've asked for some help in the Fury sticky, which was awesome and has already greatly improved my DPS.

However, as I'm still new to the whole Fury thing, I think it would be beneficial to me to have some addon guide me a little bit, and allow me to focus on what's going on around me more, rather then scanning my action bars to see what filler move would be best.

I know I shouldn't be to reliant on an addon to tell me what to do, and I don't think I'll need it for very long, but it's just to help me through the start and get more of a feel for the rotation and usage of filler's and cooldowns.

I was thinking either Slam and Awe or Enraged. I was mainly looking for something to show some big ass icons on what's next.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
    Warlock (SL main)

I use TellMeWhen to track proccs, cooldowns of abilities, etc. It doesn't do the work for you (though to a certain extent it might be possible, with all the available filters), but it's a lot easier to play decently when the information is displayed like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    I use TellMeWhen to track proccs, cooldowns of abilities, etc. It doesn't do the work for you (though to a certain extent it might be possible, with all the available filters), but it's a lot easier to play decently when the information is displayed like that.
    10 times this.

Get TellMeWhen or WeakAuras and set it up so you can see trinket buffs, enrage, raging blows etc. You can also display the amount of stacks and duration with WeakAuras (I guess TellMeWhen can do so aswell). Place it preferably somewhere around your character. I also have another bartender bar right beneath my character with extra big buttons where I put all my commonly used spells in to see what spell is about to come up next in the corner of my eyesight. Oh, yea and above my spell bar is an external rage bar.
    Also, I have set player+target frames around my character so I can actually always look at my character and still see what buffs I have, how much life and rage I have and how much cooldown my spells have remaining.

hope i could help

10+ Year Old Account
    TellMeWhen. Ok, I'll look into it.

Seems like I could use that one for other characters as well.

*edit*
    It does not really help with the rotation/priority bit tho. It just shows which abilities are on cool down, which buffs are up etc. It does not show what button would be right to push at what time, which I kinda need help with atm.
    Last edited by Thundertom; 2012-11-04 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Looked into it.
    Warlock (SL main)

Personally I use WeakAuras. It's a very powerful addon, but can be a bit overwhelming at first. Once you get used to it, it's a breeze. As far as playing good is concerned, using slamandawe is no bad idea. It's not perfect, but it can vastly help you do more dps with its priority system.

I personally don't use addons at all. I'm 100% with you on the "shouldn't be too reliant on an addon to tell me what to do" idea. Not to start a flamewar, but I think addons are crutches, and they genuinely lower the skill cap needed to play WoW. However, that's entirely my opinion. Others disagree, and that's fine.

What do I do for Enrage procs? Glyph of Burning Anger. When you're enraged, you start on fire. Also, when you proc an enrage, you see your Raging Blow light up. You know it's going to last for the next 6 seconds. It's not as easy to see as an addon, but being a nazi purist, I like that it's just part of the game.

Same thing for rage an Colossus Smash. You can move your portrait and your target's portrait anywhere on the screen. Right near your character is a good choice, so you can see your Colossus Smash debuff and rage you're pooling to unload.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have used TellMeWhen ever since I downloaded and played with a great many number of addons in wotlk before deciding it was my favorite. I have not felt the need for anything else besides an easier way to track my rage. But that fell out, just started memorizing the swing timers.

plus it looks great

I think I actually had to install OmniCC to get the number counter on them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    I personally don't use addons at all. Not to start a flamewar, but I think addons are crutches, and they genuinely lower the skill cap needed to play WoW.
    ololol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I have used TellMeWhen ever since I downloaded and played with a great many number of addons in wotlk before deciding it was my favorite. I have not felt the need for anything else besides an easier way to track my rage. But that fell out, just started memorizing the swing timers.

plus it looks great

I think I actually had to install OmniCC to get the number counter on them though.

ololol
    Very similar to how my UI is set up. I also have another external rage bar above my commonly used spells so I can basically look on my character most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account

plus it looks great

ololol
    Question; Do those larger icons below your character change order depending on priority, or does it just show them when they're up?
    Warlock (SL main)

The add-on you are looking for is SlamAndAwe.

A quick search on Curse would have told you this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Question; Do those larger icons below your character change order depending on priority, or does it just show them when they're up?
    it just shows when they're up

but not much to know about warriors

we're balanced around colossus smash which means that you should be pooling rage and dumping everything into a CS

if you need a priority sequence, you should just check the sticky

but i believe it's CS > BT > Filler > Filler (RB > WS or shout, if rage is needed) or at the very least, something similar

15 of your american dollars would keep a child in africa from starving

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmal View Post
    The add-on you are looking for is SlamAndAwe.

A quick read of my original post would have told you I knew this already.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 07:06 PM ----------

it just shows when they're up

but not much to know about warriors

we're balanced around colossus smash which means that you should be pooling rage and dumping everything into a CS

if you need a priority sequence, you should just check the sticky

but i believe it's CS > BT > Filler > Filler (RB > WS or shout, if rage is needed) or at the very least, something similar
    Aye, I've read the sticky, and know the priorities. I just struggle with the fillers sometimes. Thanks!
    Warlock (SL main)

If you knew those two add-ons did exactly what you want, show large icons with what should be pressed, then what was the point of this thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmal View Post
    If you knew those two add-ons did exactly what you want, show large icons with what should be pressed, then what was the point of this thread?
    I have no experience with addons like this. Some may be better then others. I was merely asking for warrior advice on a warrior forum. No point in re inventing the wheel.
    Warlock (SL main)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore Darmal, 7 posts, probably 7 trolls. Seems to think he's awesome, and never had to ask for help/advise.
    "WHY? Because I have green hair". "Screw the money I have rules, wait... that's not right".

I personally use TellMeWhen to Track important buff/debuff up times such as Enrage, Colossus Smash Debuff, and important trinket procs if applicable. I also use NeedtoKnow to track when certain ablities are up in a large bar directly in my forefront so as not to miss a bloodthirst or raging blow to keep me informed of things like bloodsurge, etc.

Slam and Awe is a good addon as well, though I dont use it as my UI provides me what I need, but the priority bar on SaA is great for someone who isnt yet completly comfortable.

I'm sorry if I can't provide too much more information, but this is the setup I use and I find it very usefull and easy to use and it fufils all my needs. The main things to keep in mind whne you're designing your UI for a specific task:

What are the important things for you to track?
    For Fury you need to keep very close eye on colossus smash debuffs and rage to dump during those periods as well as enrage up times as well as cooldowns on important abilities (such as colossus smash, dragon roar, deadly calm, etc).

Vision
    Of course the most important part of any wow UI is vision. If your view is so confined that you miss visual ques for mechanics (fire, lava walls, etc) then your UI has a flaw. I personally use bartender and grid to keep my UI as uncluttered as possible and to move things that I dont have keybound to an easily reachable and clickable (shield wall macros, things for specific mechanics like the item for the Archimonde fight, etc). Dont clutter too much into your UI and miss things that get you killed

Good lUck

10+ Year Old Account
    The rotation bit I'm just fine with. I just find it confusing on what fillers to use. I think it's a flaw in the Fury setup, IMO. There should be a low damage free to hit ability you can press at all times. It's confusing to go through every ability you have to see what's up (DR up? No, HT up? No, BS up? No...right, what do?)

Slam and Awe helps me especially on choosing the right filler moves.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Much appreciated.
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    The rotation bit I'm just fine with. I just find it confusing on what fillers to use. I think it's a flaw in the Fury setup, IMO. There should be a low damage free to hit ability you can press at all times. It's confusing to go through every ability you have to see what's up (DR up? No, HT up? No, BS up? No...right, what do?)

Slam and Awe helps me especially on choosing the right filler moves.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Much appreciated.
    Yeah, as I said, play around with SlamAndAwe for a while. I did, and now I'm playing without, playing better than with the addon. Just take the big step up once you feel comfortable with what SnA suggests, then you'll be fine.
    On the notion of addons lowering the skillcap, sure, it might do, but when you try to be the best at something you pull at all the stops to get an advantage over your opponents. Just don't overdo it to the extent of cheating