Thread: The BMAH Scam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    When people sit on +20 million gold they simply do not care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    mimirons head for me, reminds me of dr robotnik from mega man
    Since when was dr robotnik a bad guy in mega man?
    wrong game, wrong platform even
    dr robotnik was the bad guy in sonic the hedgehog.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Theres a bug with the BMAH that makes you bid on wrong items, im not really sure how it works (could be due to AH addons) but all I know is that someone in my guild wanted to bid on an item but ended up bidding on a cat instead. He has a screenshot where it says in the chat that he bid on the item but when he clicked on the item it did not say he had the highest bid. After checking all the items on BMAH he saw that he had the winning bid on a pet. He reported it to blizzard but they didnt want to help him and he ended up with a 10k bombay cat. This is the first time I've heard about it on my server so it must be quite rare but Im sure its not a one time only either.
    People use the "Hot Item" option on the right side of the AH pane rather than the little Bid button at the bottom of the AH pane. This is the most often cause of mistaken bids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Must we always worry about what other people do with their time?
    Nobody is worrying we're laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Theres a bug with the BMAH that makes you bid on wrong items, im not really sure how it works (could be due to AH addons) but all I know is that someone in my guild wanted to bid on an item but ended up bidding on a cat instead. He has a screenshot where it says in the chat that he bid on the item but when he clicked on the item it did not say he had the highest bid. After checking all the items on BMAH he saw that he had the winning bid on a pet. He reported it to blizzard but they didnt want to help him and he ended up with a 10k bombay cat. This is the first time I've heard about it on my server so it must be quite rare but Im sure its not a one time only either.
    Pretty sure it's not a bug. It's a confusing UI: on the right side of the BMAH screen there's a 'hot item!' section, which is always the same item regardless of what you're clicked on. So you can click on the item you want to bid on, then go to the right to make the bid, but you're actually bidding on the 'hot item' which isn't what you really want to bid on.

The actual bidding interface you want is at the bottom of the window. I'd bet this is what your friend did.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Some poor sap was prolly bidding on the drake LOL he will have a pleasant surprise in his mail box
    Either that or he thought it was the vampiric batling.

On Grim Batol-EU the Cat Carrier (Bombay) has a bid of 200k gold with 2-12 hours left. This pet can be bought from the crazy cat lady in Elwynn Forest for 40s. I can't stop laughing at the stupidity of some people.

Deleted
    the one on my server `defias brotherhood eu` is a load of rubbish, everytime ive checked it all ive seen is useless stuff, vanity pets u can get for cheap etc.....at the moment theres 1 item on there 1! and its a freaking siamese cat that youd have to be an idiot to pay 10k for anyway, so much hype about the bmah and turns out it was all bs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    WoW needed a gold sink badly. While it saddens me to see unique pets/mounts trivialized even further, there is no disputing this as the single most effective gold sink they've ever come up with.
    I guess this is true in some way. Then again people know that the good items go for 100-500k so they actively farm more gold specifically for those items and therefore overall more gold gets into the cycle.
    I paint you a picture:

heroic agility necklace comes into the bmah for the first time. it goes for 100k to the highest bidder. A lot of people see this and follow the auction even though they cant buy it.

after the auction is done, lets say 1 rogue, 2 hunters, 1 enhancer and 1 monk keep the price in mind and start farming gold: 50k 100k 200k, just in case it'll be more expensive the next time around.

2 weeks later the same hc agility necklace is listed in the bmah. all 5 start bidding, the hunter has a little more gold than the others and wins the item but he is back at zero gold. However, the other 4 players now have a combined amount of gold of 800k that they wouldnt have farmed if there was no bmah and that gold goes into the cycle.

you are partially right though as there are some players who already have a huge amount of gold and dont need to farm for gold so they can buy something in the bmah. it'll be a nice gold sink for them because usually there are more than just a few players with >1million gold.

I guess there are 2 effects the BMAH causes:

1. increase overall trading and crafting
    2. the gap between the rich and the "poor" players gets smaller

not a bad idea if you think about it

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Create an alt
    Send money via neutral AH
    Bingo!

What with account bound mounts/pets there's no excuse... It's blatant stupidity

Personally I think it's a practical joke by Blizzard on rich eejits
    Not just an alt... a DK. You will get out of the starting zone with about 10-15gold. More than enough for more of the opposite faction pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    2. the gap between the rich and the "poor" players gets smaller
    That really doesn't happen. A blue post said it is such a small % of players who have over 50k gold on them which means they just don't make gold. I don't make a ton of gold a day probly about 10-15k, and I know people who make a lot more than me. The blue post makes me feel that a lot of people just don't care about that part of the economy which is fine, but it wouldn't cause to close the gap between rich and poor. What you do is close the gap between the Uber Rich and the Rich.
    Last edited by Hardcream; 2012-11-06 at 02:09 PM.

Deleted
    I'm still wondering if there is Corrupted Ashbringer on the BMAH. I heard some people saying it was for 500k starting price however I highly doubt that..can anyone confirm that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    I've seen one of the cats from Elwynn Forest be sold for over 120k.

I so want to know who it was who bought it xD
    good for the old lady in Elwynn ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleepz View Post
    I'm still wondering if there is Corrupted Ashbringer on the BMAH. I heard some people saying it was for 500k starting price however I highly doubt that..can anyone confirm that?
    Tigole said that it was a "mistake" to ever let the weapon get in the hands of players.

Knowing this is Blizzard's stance on it, would you think they'd ever reintroduce it in this manner? Those few of us who kept it and still play are extremely lucky.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha that's awesome, NPC scammers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcream View Post
    That really doesn't happen. A blue post said it is such a small % of players who have over 50k gold on them which means they just don't make gold. I don't make a ton of gold a day probly about 10-15k, and I know people who make a lot more than me. The blue post makes me feel that a lot of people just don't care about that part of the economy which is fine, but it wouldn't cause to close the gap between rich and poor. What you do is close the gap between the Uber Rich and the Rich.
    did not know that. interesting though

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a 509 ring for 55k and later was called by the Kor'kron that it was in fact STOLEN PROPERTY and GARROSH wanted his ring back. I almost challenged him to a duel over it, but figured he'd just poison his weapon again so I gave it back.

@sharlok you're wrong when you say "Then again people know that the good items go for 100-500k so they actively farm more gold specifically for those items and therefore overall more gold gets into the cycle." More gold changes hands, more gold does NOT enter the economy. Big difference. Gold enters the game through quests, monsters, guild perks (completing things/10%) and vendering items. It leaves the game through people being banned, buying items off vendors (including BMAH and mounts) and repairs. (Not an exhaustive list). Money changing hands is not the same as money entering the game. Its the difference between buying/selling in real life, and printing money.
    Last edited by Darkfriend; 2012-11-06 at 04:22 PM.