Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    It's well known that males treat females differently than they would treat other males, also vice-versa with how females treat males etc. Mix that with flirty lonely people that play MMOs (That's not everyone ofcourse) then you get a hilarious moment of a later explanation mostly going "Owwh....your male....why didn't you say before we...nevermind" that could be HILARIOUS on RP realms, I watch too much YouTube.

Erm...Yeah I just play the same gender as I am, male, however that's just my own opinion, is not everyone's!

1. Why do you play as a character of the opposite gender?
    Because I enjoy it. It puts me in a different position, even though it does not affect the game that much, I find it easier to put different traits on a male character than on a female character.

2. Does it influence/change your gaming experience? How? (i.e. social aspects, aesthetics, makes the game easier, etc.)
    It does not affect it to much of a degree.

3. Do you identify with your character? How?
    I consider it to be the masculine aspect of myself, which allows me to let out that masculinity in other ways.

4. Have you done gender-bending before? In what games?
    WoW, SWToR, Skyrim, Oblivion, Terraria, KoToR, KoToR II, any game where you have to play a male character.

5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly? For example, are the graphics and designs more attractive than in other games?
    I don't find it much different to other games.

6. Do you enjoy playing as the opposite gender in single-player games?
    I do, as it still puts me in a different position to where I would normally be.

7. Do you admit to your real gender while interacting with other players?
    If they ask, yes.

8. Would you pose as someone of the opposite gender outside games?
    I do.

Deleted
    I don't play male characters if female is an option (I'm female) so I've skipped the first few questions. My reason for playing female characters isn't really about identifying with them, it's that I far prefer the aesthetics of females in pretty much every game I've played that has the choice, also I use the same names across a wide variety of games and my names are by and large, fairly feminine.

5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly? For example, are the graphics and designs more attractive than in other games? - Considering GW is a highly aesthetics based game, and that the models, and the armor that those models wear are really quite different for males and females, I do feel that a lot of people will play the gender of a character based on what they want that character to look like so it definitely gives a good reason and plenty of encouragement to play both genders.

6. Do you enjoy playing as the opposite gender in single-player games? - Can't say I enjoy it more or less in any way, if I'm playing a single player and the character is male (for example, Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, etc) then I don't enjoy it any more or less than if I had been able to choose female. I can identify with a character regardless of their gender. I do not personally see how the gender of your in-game character would affect enjoyment of the game.

7. Do you admit to your real gender while interacting with other players? - I've certainly never hidden my gender, neither do I feel the need to point it out to every new person I meet. I have made jokes about being a guy before, because of the cliche of girls not playing games, girls not being good at games, etc. but only if there's someone around who will get the joke :P I can be pretty flirty in games but I flirt with both males and females equally because it's just a bit of fun and banter, I see no reason to care what sex someone actually is in real life or whether they are the correct sex for the character.

8. Would you pose as someone of the opposite gender outside games? - No. I see no reason why I would pose as a man in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer playing female chars and have been doing so for aslong as i remember + alot of the time males just look ugly in games. sometimes i make an exception for better animations or something but it doesnt happen often... guild wars 2 wise male charr are ugly so i made a female (not that i play GW2 much anymore after the first week i got bored and just dont like it anymore, having to explore the world again is painfull -_-).

3. Do you identify with your character? How? well... i tend to spend time on char creation if its as extensive as some games so i dont endup hating the look or wishing i went with hairstyle A rather than B, i also tend to stick to the same options when making a new char like i have in WoW all my chars of the same race use the same hairstyle, face type, skin type etc.
    (plus female chars in games tend to get freebee's sometime's which is quite funny)

hmm as the person above mentions i tend to stick to the same names too (if available) which tend to be female/feminine although Achaman is a male name which i tend to only use on forums or things like steam but ive never liked it as a character name, the only character name ie used for both male and female chars is Cavendish which is usually a last name so it works...
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-11-05 at 08:57 AM.

I play as females because I have always been given that role in stories. Ever since the old RPG's I was always the sidekick to my brother who was usually the main character. It still stays that way today and I have grown accustomed to female characters. Many times I just prefer playing slimmer characters to get back screen real estate of the world.

2. Does it influence/change your gaming experience? How? (i.e. social aspects, aesthetics, makes the game easier, etc.)
    At first it influenced how I interacted with people as I did not use a mic. They really thought I was a girl and they actually started giving me gear for no other reason in WoW. I thought it was a joke they were calling me a girl but they were serious.
    I will say though that my typing reflects that of a teenage girl. I type with faces and hearts in game to express thanks or feelings.

Nowadays I let people know that I am a guy right away. It can get awkward very quickly if I am associated with being a woman.

Pretty much every game I could.

5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly?
    I'd say both sexes are relatively equal in looks.

Yes. I enjoy both male and female single player games. Persona 3 Portable is a great example of where gender doesn't hinder the gameplay or story at all.

Yes. It can get awkward if I don't.

As a day-to-day thing? No, only for one time events (holidays, parties, etc).

Deleted
    As a heterosexual male I prefer looking at the female form, it's aesthetically more pleasing.

In GW2 & wow it makes no appreciable difference, other than aesthetics, as I don't identify with the character as I don't RP in those games.

Only in FPS games where I am the character, but in other games like mmorpg's the answer is no. For example in Lotro I roleplay a female bard, and I try to give her as full a character/personality as possible. In no way do I become the character, but rather I do my best to bring the character to life. In many ways it's like how an author will try and flesh out all of his main characters.

If by gender-bending you mean simply play a female character, then I do so in most games where you can see the character i.e mmorpg's. In other games such as fps's where you don't see the character then I will be playing as myself and as such will probably pick a male avatar.

5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly? For example, are the graphics and designs more attractive than in other games?
    Well the graphics and design are far more aesthetically pleasing and of a much higher quality than previous games like wow etc, so in that way yes it is more friendly, but then the community is just as indifferent to your characters gender in GW2 as it is in any other game.

In fps games where I play as myself, I will normally pick a male avatar, especially if its first person perspective and I don't have to look at my own character. In games where I can see the character, then I usually pick a female character.

My friends already know my gender, and I don't consider it relevant to anyone elses business. My standard response when someone asks my gender is that I can be whatever they need me to be, as role play can be fun. That usually gets rid of them pretty quickly.

Short of using it as a clever disguise for committing a murder, no I wouldn't. Not that I could anyway, as a 6' male with a beer belly and a beard I doubt that I would make a convincing female

Deleted
    1. Because I like strong ladies. Also, I usually first think of a possible personality for them, gender and some sort of partial story. When that is done I create the character. So when I don't make them just because I like strong ladies, I make them because I feel that personality fits that gender(usually I seem to associate strengh with ladies somehow). When it's not story the reason, it's usually because I hate the male model, for example tauren in WoW, I dislike their haunch so much I'd never play a male one.
    2. No. I like seeing my characters, and admit I like the female characters more but that doesn't really affect anything. I still fail at some challenges with either gender of characters.
    3. Yes and no. I do because the story behind each character I make somewhat relate to a part of my life. For example, I chose engineer in Guild Wars because I like tweaking with stuff in real life and building stuff. Though I don't build turrets and stuff, I still feel it's a part of me. I chose mesmer because the character is modeled after someone and I felt the mesmer way of life, with illusions and stuff fits said person good.
    4.Yes, in most games where it's possible. Even single player games. WoW, GW2, Rift, Skyrim, Spellforce 1, 2, SWToR... there's so many! In fact I think I played more female characters then male ones.
    5. No, it's about the same as other games.
    6. Yes.
    7. Yes, if asked, otherwise I don't go screaming "I'm a male!". Because, in a game, in first place, I'm a sylvari/night elf/cyborg/mathosian etc, I play games to get away from real life. If they ask, I tell the truth, if not, I won't say anything.
    8. If it's for an important reason, yes. For example if I'm chased by assassins in Middle East I'd throw a veil on me to seem like a woman to get away. Otherwise I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    If I like the aesthetics or combat animations of that particular race/gender combo. I do have both male and female gender characters in GW2.

Nope.

Not really - I can enjoy the way it looks, but I can't say that I identify with it (only really identify with characters that I've played for a long time and have thought of back story for - like my Shaman in WoW. I'm not at that stage with any GW2 characters).

In a variety of RPG games - WoW, Champions Online, GW2, Dragon Age games, Elder scrolls games etc. I tend to have characters of both genders, but usually more female than male.

I find there is a lot more option to make male characters that I like the look of in GW2 - in WoW for example, my only male character is a worgen - I find males of other races just don't look as good as their female counterparts. In GW2, this isn't a problem - I like the looks of both genders for most races. So I guess, yeah, I think the designs are well done for both genders in GW2

Yes

Only people in my guild. Random players I'm unlikely to interact with on a regular basis, so my gender has no bearing on the limited interaction I have with them.

Nope.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

I'm a 27 year old female.

Sometimes, I just get an idea for a fun character concept to RP. Sometimes that individual happens to be male. I am an author IRL and have a plethora of male and female characters in my stories. I'm also an RPer on MMOs, so sometimes I like, for fun, to take characters from my own personal stories and recreate a version of them to RP in a game. Again, some of these happen to be male.

Actually, for me it does. When I play a male character, I feel oddly nervous sometimes. I'm not sure why. I just have this weird fear that people are going to be mean to me rather than courteous, though when I'm playing as a female character I never feel that people are decent or nice to me because I'm female, but rather because I am courteous and respectful back to them. I become afraid that this attitude from me won't matter though if I'm playing a male and that people will be mean or something. So I tend to respond less in chat, say less in party or PUG situations, and keep to myself for fear of backlash. It's weird and I don't know why, but I feel that way even on a subconscious level.

Yes and no. I never feel these characters are me. I feel personally silly (though never think poorly of others for it) trying to make myself in a game. I'm me for all of my life since birth until I die, so when I'm playing a game, I enjoy becoming someone else in character. Again, I am an author, so I enjoy fabricating new characters/personalities and seeing how engaging I can make them when I RP. So yes, I identify in that I get into character when I roleplay, but I never think of these people as me in some way. Granted, they're naturally an extension of myself because their personalities are only what I am capable of imagining and portraying through them. But they're not "me".

Yes! I tried it multiple times in WoW, but the male models aren't appealing to me. The closest I got was keeping a male Belf and Worgen until around level 20 before they got deleted. I have fun playing as both male and female in games, but I am not fond of being a 'roided out Biff McBeefcake, and that's almost all that WoW offers as far as males go. However, in SWTOR, my main is a male trooper and I really love how he looks. I think they did an excellent job on the male models in that game and so far as giving variety and choice to selecting physical build. (Body type #2, ftw.)

Hm. I think in a way, perhaps. Anet introduced the Sylvari race, an (as far as I know, at least) unique concept for an MMO playable race. They appear male and female, but underneath, they are in a way both the same, interchangeable. That race seems flexible in general and I think if someone was looking to explore such a thing, that would be a good starter race for them to use. Also, I think giving both genders (of each race) multiple builds to select from helps in this aspect. Women who don't like really beefy looking characters to play as could select a male who is more slender and even give him a 'softer' face (see male humans and some male sylvari faces). I think it creates a comfort zone in a way, so yes, I think it is more friendly to that. You can play as the opposite gender while still maintaining certain aspects of your own.

Yes and no. I'd not mind making a male character, but most single player games don't offer many options for guys who aren't, again, giant and muscly, which is not to my taste. I usually will make a complete playthrough first with a female character before creating a male, though Dragon Age 2 was the exception. My first playthrough was a male rogue and he was awesome.

I do if I'm playing a character of my own gender (because the assumption in MMOs is "male until proven otherwise"). But really only if asked or if I come to know a person well/add them to friends list etc. When I am playing as a male character, though, I tend to try and keep that hidden, but only because I just don't talk as much in general (again for some bizarre fear of backlash). Again, if I know someone somewhat well, or in certain situations, I'll tell them I'm a female, usually if I happen to say something that, I dunno, somehow betrays me and doesn't seem typically male or masculine. (I tend to be notorious for using ^_^ and :3 faces, saying things are cute, etc. Just a bad habit of mine.)

Hm. I've always wondered this, actually. I admire the bravery and courage of transgender people who decide to go through with their transition. I am quite happy being female, myself, and while ever exploring the idea would be fascinating me, I don't know that I would want to deceive people in such a way (ie, as I would just be posing/portraying the male gender rather than actually being it) and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable. Again, I think I'd fear a weird backlash or bias, because I tend to be a very gentle and softspoken person IRL and on games. In fact, after writing all of these responses, I think I've come to the conclusion that I have this ingrained fear that being seen as a male (in game or out) and maintaining a 'feminine' or softer personality will generate hostility or cruelty toward me, so therefore I feel a tad bit uncomfortable at times. (For the record, I have never and will never act mean toward a male who acts feminine. I just somehow feel that other men would be more cruel to them, so in assuming that role, I feel nervous. lol I dunno.)
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-11-05 at 04:03 PM.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Dr. Carl Sagan

Deleted
    I'm a guy irl and only played GW2 for like an hour, so take it however you want.

1. Why do you play as a character of the opposite gender? For the looks. I find that getting new pieces of gear presents no incentive for me to enjoy dressing up my character up when it's a male, but I'm always excited when getting a new gear model.

2. Does it influence/change your gaming experience? How? (i.e. social aspects, aesthetics, makes the game easier, etc.) Yes, actually, I find that I'm a magnet for horny 16 yo-s and it becomes pretty embarassing when they do /flirt, /kiss or, in some cases, using their characters to mimic certain...movements.

3. Do you identify with your character? How? Not really.

4. Have you done gender-bending before? In what games? In all, but usually RPG games. I don't play female characters in games such as FPS-s or games that don't emphasize the "dressing up" aspect.

5. Is Guild Wars 2 more gender-bending friendly? For example, are the graphics and designs more attractive than in other games? Yes, the female models are very well done. However, I would say that Rift and TERA have better looking characters.

6. Do you enjoy playing as the opposite gender in single-player games? Yes if it's an RPG

7. Do you admit to your real gender while interacting with other players? Certainly. It's nothing to be ashamed of and everyone is doing it. It's also better to state your real life gender in a group/guild before...situations such as described at nr.2, start happening.

8. Would you pose as someone of the opposite gender outside games? NO!

Few reason, but primarily becuase I prefer the way the females look. This game is very stereotypical - so you don't *in general* have agile male characters. In short: for aesthetics.

Not really. Everyone knows I'm a guy.

Sure, Gender doesn't make a character - the character of a character makes the character.

Most games that Stereotype the Steroids packing muscular guy vs the finesse heavy small girl.

Wasn't even aware this was a GW2 thread until this question - haha. However I don't understand the 'gender bending friendly' aspect of this question. As for the example - nothing special. All about the same in my experience.

Usually. It brings more of a skillful/agile character rather than somethign that beats everyone down. Even though it's generally an aesthetic choice, I still prefer it.

Yes.

Not sure... I couldn't pull it off I think.

I actually only tried playing a male character once and I REALLY did not like it. It just felt really weird to me because I view my characters as a representation of myself in game and it just felt weird. Like in a way I felt like I was lying to everyone who saw my character which is silly I admit, but still it's what I felt.

I do think it is true that depending on various things some people still perceive females to inherently be better at certain roles than others. Like when I played a female tank or melee dps people either assumed I was a guy and did a good job or some people found out I was a chick and wouldn't even give me a chance. Obviously that's not everyone, but that mentality is still out there.

I do. Like I said I view my characters as a visual representation of me in games and their stories become my stories.

Only tried it in WoW. I didn't like it and haven't tried again.

I don't know about that honestly. I still feel no inclination to make a male character.

Not really but I tolerate it because there just haven't historically been that many single player games where the main character is female and that is just the way it is.

Not usually until I get to know them a bit. I won't even talk on mumble/vent until I get to know people. If it is assumed I am male I let it go because that doesn't really matter to me.

Nope.

Ill only play as a female character if i feel a certain class fits better as a female.
    I dont think it changes my game experience in a game like gw2 because im not that interactive with my servers community, i would have to pose as a girl and try and get benifits and thats not why i play the game.
    Nope.
    WoW, Maplestory.
    GW2 graphics designs are not more attractive than other games, Tera has way more attractive females.
    I dont think i play many games where their is even a female lead. And most RPG's ill pick Male over female. last game i played where i picked female over male was Dragon Age 2 because i knew my warrior would be male and wanted to make a female thief because female thiefs are awesome.
    Only if they as me, but like i said im not talking with other players most of the time to even lead to that question.
    Hell No

It depends on what MMO I play and how characters are designed. Normally I roll with the idea of "if I have to look at an ass, it better be a female ass"
    It doesn't really change much, except when I'm in a trolling mood where I make people believe I'm female IRL( don't try to get any benefits from it though)
    nope not at all.
    don't think gender-bending is the appropriate term but yes I have. In WoW for example I play a female Blood Elf Paladin. Granted, if Undead paladin would be a thing, I would play UD male.
    Having sylvari in the game, you could say GW2 is pretty friendly towards gender-bending
    I have no issues with it, though I tend to play male characters in solo rpg games.
    I always do, but when they ask me if I'm female before I said anything about my gender I can't help to play a prank on them.
    Never.

- Fantasy. I think one of the major attractions of any game is stepping outside your own life and into another world, and/or walking in someone else's shoes for a while.

- Yes. Socially, people tend to be a lot more polite if they perceive you as a female, but that is something that is slightly off-putting for me, (I'd rather be treated the same, regardless of gender). Perhaps the main thing for me though is the roleplaying - I think playing a different gender has a different feel to it in terms of your character's journey. For example, I would perceive female characters having to rely on their personal charm and diplomatic skills more, and relying less on aggression and brute strength. The aesthetics are also a plus.

- Yes. When I'm roleplaying, my character is usually based on aspects of my own personality, but also allows me to behave in ways that I couldn't in real life.

- Yes. World of Warcraft, and other role-playing games.

- The visuals are more realistic than other games I have played, and the gear looks, frankly, a lot hotter

- Sometimes. Depends on the game and what I feel like.

- Sometimes. Usually, however, I don't like to reveal anything personal about myself while online. I prefer playing with real life friends online, rather than finding new online friends. They shouldn't care about my real life identity.

- No. Although I do openly admit I often feel like I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. I find it a lot easier to hang out with women than with guys.

I find them more visually and astetically attractive.

I enjoy a game a bit more when I can freely choose a gender.

Almost all of my female characters in games (RPGs mostly) are nicknamed after my wife who likes to watch me play. If there is a appearance character creation in a game, we often discuss how she will look like.

Almost all RPGs. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Mass Effect series etc.

It is qute attractive, but I find it hard to understand to why I cannot make a bad looking character (deformed, fat etc.).

Yes.

Not really. When I'm online I like to appear as genderless.

Nope.

Female, 31

because it fits a certain area of the game in my opinion (eg Draenei DK I think is cool as male, while for a caster type Id pick a female. funny voice accent (male dwarf) etc)

social aspects not that much, people seem to assume mostly you are a guy
    it makes me giggle everytime my char says something

I identify with roles (my main is a dps warrior so I get all AAARGH ATTACK, LETS SMASH THINGS) but gender doesn't seem to matter that much cause I just realised male would maybe be more fitting for warrior (i made this female char not very conscious)

no, only play 1 game (wow)

females look better, so no not for me. same as in most games: girl chars attract me more

definitely!

mostly yes. when in group with strangers (LFD) I don't always as some people don't believe or make stupid jokes

nah, love being a girl too much. like someone else said: being the other gender for a while would be very interesting, but for pretending I feel no need at all (don't think I could pull it off anyhow)

I'm male, 21 years old.
    It depends, usually for the animation and looks, sometimes to create a fun concept (like a little gnome Warrior in WoW). A lot of times I plan on creating a male, but when I try the female character creation I end up playing a female character.

Yes, usually I like to troll more when my character is male (I RP as myself ). I grown more attached to my female characters, sticking with it for more time.

Only when I am playing a male character, (as I said) I usually troll and generally "don't care" a lot more, like I do in real life.

Almost every MMO I created at least one female character.

Not really, the character creation is better for females though, and the female voice acting is good but usually too generic for my liking.

Squad and group based games (like Baldur's Gate, xCom, NWN, Mass Effect) I go with a male character to be the "leader". Single player RPG's I can go either way, but only go with a female If I know there's no romance options in game or if I know there will be lesbian options .

Always.

I would be a real ugly female, haha. Maybe as a joke, if I was really drunk.

Male, 43

I don't in all cases. It depends entirely on looks / animations. Specifically in GW2, my human and norn toons are female. Charr are male. In WoW, my blood elves are female, all other classes / toons are male.

Doesn't change it at all from my perspective, aside from aestetics mentioned above. I don't assume that other female characters are in fact, female players at all. (quite the opposite actually). I don't see folks go out of their way to be nicer to my female toons one way or the other.

No. I don't roleplay, and it's been a long time since I felt any sort of identification with an online avatar.

Yes. See above.

Probably due to more customization, sure.

Depends on the game. I could take it or leave it.

If asked, yes.

For Halloween perhaps. Beyond that, no.

Deleted
    Concept of the Class, Look (Armor, Animation, Voice-Over)... my cloth-classes are usually females because robes look stupid on the typical MMO-bodybuilder-male character, my heavy-armor classes are usually males because tiny girls with huge axes look stupid.

Nope. Most of the MMO-players know that 95% of female characters aren't necessarily played by females.

Naw, I'm not into role-playing (in MMOs ... ), also: not enough story/character background to really identify with the standard mmo-avatar.

Diablo 1/2 for obvious reasons ... almost exclusively in MMOs (Tera for example ... because of obvious reasons!), I find it hard to impersonate a female character in more story-heavy games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.

not really ... Tera on the other hand is almost playable soft porn

naw.

If asked, i don't join a group and hit a " /s FIY I'm a guy!" macro.

hells no. I'm over 6 foot tall (1,95 meters ... seriously, switch to the SI system already) and i have a beard. No one would believe me.