Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Ham fisting us into every event ruins the story - plain and simple. We can't literally be everywhere and there is no practically in us being certain place eg. Night Elves killed by Twilights Hammer, when Thrall gets chucked into another time line, Thrall confronting Alexstraza, Anduin being locked in Ironforge, the Druid meeting after the Night Elf attacks, Varian hurting Anduin etc etc etc. Our role is not to be in on every political meeting or slaughter at every point in Azeroth at every point in time. Books give us the opportunity to see everything without having to be a part of it.

So no ham fisting us in doesn't work. As I mentioned in my OP you're again listing the bolder parts of the story, the subtle parts cannot be done. We are not there to X leader's best buddy in the story.

Warcraft RTS worked because were were actually playing the the characters/armies in the story rather than a bystander. This is again another flaw with trying to tell and RTS story in a MMORPG.

Yet it was nothing like the books at all. Guess why? Because it was personal to Thrall and were were not personally involved at all.

SWTOR would like a word with you then. People began to hate the constant cutscenes even if they liked the story. As I mentioned before hand gaming is meant to be interactive, it isn't meant to consist of you sitting around watching some other bloke do something.
    But you're exaggerating what I'm saying. I don't think we should be part of every single conversation and event, but it would be good if we could see some of the more major events in game, especially the city or even world wide events that happen in the books but don't get mentioned in games. I haven't personally read Tides of War of played Theramore's Fall but that's the approach they should be taking more often: The in game event gives you the main gist of it from the perspective of the adventurers, while the book gives a bit more of an in-depth look with personal character conflicts ect. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    But you're exaggerating what I'm saying. I don't think we should be part of every single conversation and event, but it would be good if we could see some of the more major events in game, especially the city or even world wide events that happen in the books but don't get mentioned in games. I haven't personally read Tides of War of played Theramore's Fall but that's the approach they should be taking more often: The in game event gives you the main gist of it from the perspective of the adventurers, while the book gives a bit more of an in-depth look with personal character conflicts ect. etc.
    The problem with putting only snippets in is that the cause and effect of the the actions in lore may not be seen which leads to the in game story feeling disjointed. I thought the Siege of Theramore was poorly done and from a story perspective I hated it. You get real feeling for Jaina's anguish and loss as you aren't brought up to prior to it with the characters she knows and loves and the true after effects it has on her mental health, those type of things are not easy if at all possible in a game.
    WoW can do the event itself, but as a game it simply cannot show the before and after of story arc or highlight things truly from a first person narrative of of the hero in question.
    I took it over the top because I'm trying to illustrate why the books are needed and why not everything can be shown in game.

But yes I'd like to see more story in game, and tbh we're getting it in 5.1. For the first time we're actually getting involved with leaders which is great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    The problem with putting only snippets in is that the cause and effect of the the actions in lore may not be seen which leads to the in game story feeling disjointed. I thought the Siege of Theramore was poorly done and from a story perspective I hated it. You get real feeling for Jaina's anguish and loss as you aren't brought up to prior to it with the characters she knows and loves and the true after effects it has on her mental health, those type of things are not easy if at all possible in a game.
    WoW can do the event itself, but as a game it simply cannot show the before and after of story arc or highlight things truly from a first person narrative of of the hero in question.
    I took it over the top because I'm trying to illustrate why the books are needed and why not everything can be shown in game.

But yes I'd like to see more story in game, and tbh we're getting it in 5.1. For the first time we're actually getting involved with leaders which is great.
    Yes, those problems can arise, but only if it's done poorly. It's a process that takes a lot of finesse to get right I'll admit. So make sure that in game every thing matches up on it's own, but the novels do inform things a bit more, showing us the character's private moments, telling us where so and so was when this was going on etc. etc.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I hope they start doing that more and using scenarios to relay important plot points from the novels. Theramore was a failure in telling the high points of that novel and Blizzard got the resounding feedback for scenarios to tell more story.
    well thats a fine line Blizz has to walk
    They have to tell enough story to get the point across
    But they cant bog down players with constant lore in scenarios, especially if you cant just skip over it

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Someone did an excellent machinima surrounding Garrosh's appointment as warchief.
    didnt they put that part in-game
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit off subject...but is there a list of all the books that concern the full lore of WoW..meaning...from first book to present and how many there are...anyone known of this list or the books themselves? Cancel this request of info just found the list haha....
    Last edited by MouseD; 2012-11-05 at 11:22 PM.