Thread: Screw spiders!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was a child I kept A LOT of spiders in my room and even let two of them loose... to make webs to eat the bugs for me, Good memories.

Hmm... but a bad image for the rest of you ahahah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    Okay, so here I am doing a bit of uni work @ 3am (my favorite activity), whenl all of a sudden this spider the size of my pinkie crawls up next to my wall, now I have MASSIVE arachnophobia so as soon as I saw it I pushed my chair away at the speed of light (what it felt like to me) and the bastard dropped down, I sat there frozen for next 5minues looking around trying to find it (it was all black and I have black carpet.. yay!). I leaped out of my chair and my room into the kitchen to get the bug spray and yay there's hardly any left, so I carefully walk back into my room and look around and can't see him so I spray around where I saw him and where he would've dropped down to, next thing you know he's like 5inches away from my foot, now me being the manly man that I am I shout and jump onto my bed, now here's where this has me worried/curious, that dude was jumping around like peter rabbit, he jumped behind my cupboard and I sprayed the living sh*t out of where he went in and where he can get out. I swear I could hear him jumping around behind it, hitting the wall and the wood and I'm thinking it's dead now.. hopefully but now it's almost 5am and I got very little work down.. screw spiders. Anyone seen this kind of spider before? Know anything about it? Is it poisonous/harmful?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.. had to vent to get rid of the chills.
    It's probably a huntsman, dont worry they're total bros, they hunt down insects and stuff around the house, and they arent poisonous, just creepy.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    The existence of spiders is vital to the earth. Spiders eat many types of harmful insects, helping to keep gardens free of pests. Not only do they help pollinate plants, they also help recycle dead animals and plants back into the earth. Spiders are also a food source for many small mammals, birds and fish.

Don't hate or fear the poor things, they helped us for thousands of years! All they want is a warm and quite corner in your house, now is that so much to ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    Do you realize that in your house there are hundreds of spiders? There really good at hiding and you wont notice them if you don't look for them, believe me if I tell you that that spider can bee 20 inches in diameter and it will still be scared more of you then you are of it

Awesome trick to get rid of spiders: leave the room and turn off the light, walk in 5 minutes later and it will be gone.
    (spiders don't move when the light is on unless you force them)

I don't like spiders to btw

-edit- Didn't notice you where from Australia, you better run and burn your house xS
    sleep what is this sleep you speak of?!

Quote Originally Posted by mechaclone View Post
    The existence of spiders is vital to the earth. Spiders eat many types of harmful insects, helping to keep gardens free of pests. Not only do they help pollinate plants, they also help recycle dead animals and plants back into the earth. Spiders are also a food source for many small mammals, birds and fish.

Don't hate or fear the poor things, they helped us for thousands of years! All they want is a warm and quite corner in your house, now is that so much to ask?
    Depends on the spider, huntsmen for example, or daddy long-legs are fine as long as they keep hidden and dont come out and scare the fuck outta me. Others, like redbacks and funnelwebs, yeah no.. Those things suck.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

AFAIK the only dangerous spiders in Australia are the Sydney Funnel Web (don't think they live near Adelaide) and the Redback (description doesn't match). So probably a Huntsman, like b0sanac said. I saw a couple huntsmen when I was in Australia and they were majorly creepy, but yeah, not dangerous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Depends on the spider, huntsmen for example, or daddy long-legs are fine as long as they keep hidden and dont come out and scare the fuck outta me. Others, like redbacks and funnelwebs, yeah no.. Those things suck.
    In honesty I find some spiders cute, I have one out the back on my window ledge, I always lift it a treat from the garden every so often for her, good times

Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    What I wanted to write was:

Don't fear or hate spiders. Spiders are your allies. They are content to weave their webs, with grace and cunning, ant help you to protect your living space against pests, filth spreaders like flies and mosqitoes, and cleaning up some discared webs is a minor chore compared to their help. Unless you're Australian, you have no reason for fear.

then I read the answer that you're Australian :P
    Another thing, people often find little sores on themselves assuming that they are spider bites. Spider bites are actually really rare and will have two little wounds rather than what most people assume is a spider bite.

In honesty I find some spiders cute, I have one out the back on my window ledge, I always lift it a treat from the garden every so often for her, good times
    In a normal country I probably wouldnt be so bothered by them, but this is Australia, we have more than one deadly species of spider roaming around the backyard so we gotta be careful. Gotta make a point of checking your shoes every time you go outside, you dont want any nasty suprises lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    In a normal country I probably wouldnt be so bothered by them, but this is Australia, we have more than one deadly species of spider roaming around the backyard so we gotta be careful. Gotta make a point of checking your shoes every time you go outside, you dont want any nasty suprises lol.
    Haha complete opposite of me! The spider out my back will happily walk around my hand and just generarly look cute, never been bitten by her though so I assume she's fine with it :P. She's more of the neglected family pet than anything! lol.

Although yes, i'm sure if you were to do what i'm doing there, would probably not end well :s

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Here's my spider horror story.

When I was 16, my old room with light carpeting, it was near time for bed, yet out the corner of my eye I saw something dark across my carpet under the window, and sure enough, a large black house spider with thick legs, about the width of a roll of tap, shuffled under it. I didn't want to sleep with a monster that large in my room, so I grabbed a cup on my bedside and a sheet of card, and approached it. I slammed the cup down, but only caught it on its back legs, so I grabbed another cup on my side, and as I went to cover the thing fully this time, it reared it front legs up at me looking like it was prepared to attack, so i tried to cover it, but knocked the other cup and the thing scuttled away behind my wardrobe.

I didn't sleep well that night thinking it was in my room, and tried to sleep, but around 3am, I woke up in a cold sweat, looking up, to my horror, it wasn't the spider I failed to capture earlier, but a smaller one hanging a foot above my pillow. I rolled out of bed, and saw two more of them hanging from the edge in the attic door (which was in my room), so I came running into my parents room screaming, my mum coming in to get rid of them.

I never found what happened to the large one who scuttled away, perhaps it had a dying wish on me.
    I swear, if my child ever has a situtation like this, he better grow balls real fast and kill the bastards, cuz im runnin my happy ass outta there! lmfao but here's my story O.o

Christmas Eve, windows open to let the chill in (i live in the desert :/) and im laying there half asleep wishing the night would go faster so i can get presents in the morning..I feel movement on my feet..then my leg......then my stomach. I poke my head up to see what it is, this large black spot on my stomach, I reach over, turn on the light..BAM! Giant ass tarantula just crawling on me..I am usually afraid of spiders, but the trooper in me that night made me calmly reach my hand under the monster and throw his hairy ass out the window! Needless to say, I felt like a champ Slept well after that lol
    Duck walks into a bar, says to the bartender, "Got any grapes?" Bartender says no, duck says "Got any grapes?" "No" "Got any grapes?" "NO!" "Got any--" "If you say got any grapes one more time I'm going to nail your bill to the wall..." "Got a nail?" "No." "Got any grapes?"

I hope you killed it before it had a chance to lay eggs in your mouth while you were sleeping!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I hope you killed it before it had a chance to lay eggs in your mouth while you were sleeping!
    Lolwhat! xD
    Spiders are not suicidal....they will not just walk into your mouth xD.

Humans aren't the only animals with brains!
    Last edited by mmocbc4bb7c1a7; 2012-11-05 at 06:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    believe me if I tell you that that spider can bee 20 inches in diameter and it will still be scared more of you then you are of it
    I'm not scared of spiders but if I saw a 20inch spider I would shit myself and run away like the wimpiest girl you have ever seen so I call BS on that one

Deleted
    I ate a spider when I was a kid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcorn1992 View Post
    I ate a spider when I was a kid.
    Get away from my back garden.
    No...What are you doing with fluffy...
    Fluffy....
    FLUFFY NOOOOO!

To be completely honest, yes, it is too much to ask. My spider story is quite traumatic.

I was about four years old at the time. When I was younger, my mother ran a store where she sold antiques, furniture, etc. I'd usually play out back by a large pine tree. One day, while playing by the tree, I felt an itching feeling on my back, legs, neck, and arms. I looked to see what it was, and saw 9 (give or take) black widows crawling on me. I know that they aren't that dangerous now, but at the time, I had never been so terrified before or since. Before I could do anything about them, my mother came outside to check on me, noticed the spiders, and had one of the worst breakdowns I have ever seen. I was already scared, but seeing my mother start freaking out didn't exactly help. My mother didn't know much about spiders, but knew black widows were poisonous which escalated the whole situation. She tries to regain her composure and starts telling me to stay calm and that everything would be ok, all that succeeded in doing was make me expect the absolute worst. My mom in her panic decided to call my dad at our house which was about 5 miles away. I had to stand there with black widows on me for a good 15 minutes waiting for my dad. In what seemed like 5 seconds, he parks the car, walks over to me, brushes the spiders off, and carries me inside the building (turns out he knew a lot more about spiders than my mom, thankfully). He explains to me that black widows aren't that dangerous and only bite people when threatened (a google search done a few years later told me that the poison can actually be fatal to children...made me really glad that they weren't pissed off enough to bite me). Even though I got away without anything happening, the damage was done and I've been terrified of the little spawns of satan ever since. Thankfully I don't live in Australia though, if I ever saw a spider that size anywhere near me, I'd burn the damn house down.

YES!!! Bitch better pay me some rent or pack them bags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    YES!!! Bitch better pay me some rent or pack them bags.
    Lol now I want spider employees thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by YugoXIII View Post
    To be completely honest, yes, it is too much to ask. My spider story is quite traumatic.

I was about four years old at the time. When I was younger, my mother ran a store where she sold antiques, furniture, etc. I'd usually play out back by a large pine tree. One day, while playing by the tree, I felt an itching feeling on my back, legs, neck, and arms. I looked to see what it was, and saw 9 (give or take) black widows crawling on me. I know that they aren't that dangerous now, but at the time, I had never been so terrified before or since. Before I could do anything about them, my mother came outside to check on me, noticed the spiders, and had one of the worst breakdowns I have ever seen. I was already scared, but seeing my mother start freaking out didn't exactly help. My mother didn't know much about spiders, but knew black widows were poisonous which escalated the whole situation. She tries to regain her composure and starts telling me to stay calm and that everything would be ok, all that succeeded in doing was make me expect the absolute worst. My mom in her panic decided to call my dad at our house which was about 5 miles away. I had to stand there with black widows on me for a good 15 minutes waiting for my dad. In what seemed like 5 seconds, he parks the car, walks over to me, brushes the spiders off, and carries me inside the building (turns out he knew a lot more about spiders than my mom, thankfully). He explains to me that black widows aren't that dangerous and only bite people when threatened (a google search done a few years later told me that the poison can actually be fatal to children...made me really glad that they weren't pissed off enough to bite me). Even though I got away without anything happening, the damage was done and I've been terrified of the little spawns of satan ever since. Thankfully I don't live in Australia though, if I ever saw a spider that size anywhere near me, I'd burn the damn house down.
    And yikes, guess it's a good thing they aren't passively aggressive then? :s. It seems odd that they ventured onto you though, must've liked you :s (Not being insulting etc)

Not really sure our spiders deserve the flak they get.
    No one in Australia has died from a spider bite since 1979. Anti-venom is readily available at hospitals and a lot bites aren't even envenomating.
    Funnel webs are pretty rare in Sydney suburban areas and as long as you remember to check inside your shoes before you put them on and don't go digging in the yard without gloves you will avoid them.
    Redbacks are bloody everywhere but they're kinda shy. White tails are the real pain in the arse 'cause they like to explore and tend to wander into your house at night.
    That said, I've been bitten by Redbacks and once by a white tail spider. The Redback bites made me a slightly nauseated. The white tail just left an itchy bump. Kinda painful though.
    Also, spiders are natures fly swatters. I like to keep a few webs set up outside under the roofing just so I can read out there in peace and quiet without having to constantly swat away flies.