Deleted

WoW: Wierd lags ("buffer lags"?)

Hello all,

i consitently suffer from something very odd. Sometimes when I play (prefferably during raids) I get wierd lags. Wierd because its not a generelly high latency, but it feels very much like a disconnect at first. Everything just stops. Castanimations that are still running keep running even if the cast should have finished already, the other peoples characters stop moving (they are running in their spot) and so forth. Then, after about 5 or so seconds, anything that happened during the lag happens super fast: People that were beside me when the lag began are now 50meters away from me etc. I have dubbed this "buffer lag" because it seems to me that all the data is hold up at some point and then released all at once.

I have no idea what this is, and I hope you guys understnad what I am describing here. My latency is always around 30-50ms (home and world), so I guess that can't be it.

Maybe somebody knows what this is and how I can fix it?

Deleted
    I have exactly the same problem so you arent alone the lagg started sometime 2 weeks ago tought i do get realy high world ms but home ms stays at 30-40.

same thing happens to me randomly, especially in raids/rbgs. i usually just tune my graphics down to high or normal and it stops

Deleted
    Hey,
    thank you for your answer. I had the tool run but according to its result my ISP is not shaping traffic, and I googled about traffic shaping and the sites I checked said the same thing.
    Could id be related to portforwarding? Because I remember doing that ages ago and everything was fine but I am pretty certain that it is not active anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by synthaxx View Post
    the "buffer lag" you experience is quite common in wow when the connection isn't running optimally. In other games, they might have "modem support", while others will slowly adjust the other characters into position.

First thing i'd do is check if your isp is traffic shaping. In case you're unaware, wow's traffic is often viewed as p2p traffic to the outside world, an unfortunate side effect of offloading more and more to the client (such as position). Because of this, isp's can impose lower transmission rates for that specific type of traffic. Here's one tool you can use to potentially check for traffic shaping; http://www.measurementlab.net/measur...ab-tools#tool5 (note: i've not personally verified this, but the tool should do as it says).

Alternatively, you can try the following temporarily;

open command prompt and type the following;
    Code:
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "local area connection" mtu=576 store=persistent
    then try wow again. If your isp is traffic shaping, then you'll no longer lag (or shouldn't do), but if it isn't and you still lag, then the issue lies elsewhere. This will affect your download speed, and so i advise typing the following if it doesn't fix it;

Code:
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "local area connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent
    that'll reset the mtu to default and you should look elsewhere for potential issues.
    after doing this went from 110ms to 41ms i love you admin

Sick avatar/Signature by Ammeg