Glyph of Chain Lightning, working as intended?

I've got a technical question. Our elemental shaman was only using Glyph of Chain Lightning when there would be 4+ targets. However, it's showing *higher* dps for us even with just 3 targets. I know that training dummies aren't a good measure, I get that. Raid buffs, raid debuffs, etc. etc. But I thought this would at least be inconsistent if that were the case, but it's not. He is targeting the set of 3 Raid dummies on top of the entrance to Valley of Honor.

We ran exactly 20 tests. Recount consistently showed him pulling 68k-71k without Glyph of Chain Lightning (10 tests), and consistently showed him pulling 77k-80k WITH Glyph of Chain Lightning (10 tests). We kept the time frame the same for each one (roughly 60 seconds).

What is causing this to happen on just 3 targets? Does anyone have any idea? He's not popping any CDs, and only hitting Chain Lightning button for 60 straight seconds on the leftmost button. He has the Echo of Elements talent if that helps any. The other talents are all use buttons and not passive, so that shouldn't effect anything. He also has Lightweave and Relic of Yulon, and that's where the 60ish second test came from. We waited for the SECOND set of procs to disappear to end the test.

I guess the big question is if the mastery/Echo of Elements is somehow getting all 5 hits on just 3 targets instead of the 3 hits that it's "supposed" to? Not sure how that works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurvis View Post
    I've got a technical question. Our elemental shaman was only using Glyph of Chain Lightning when there would be 4+ targets. However, it's showing *higher* dps for us even with just 3 targets. I know that training dummies aren't a good measure, I get that. Raid buffs, raid debuffs, etc. etc. But I thought this would at least be inconsistent if that were the case, but it's not. He is targeting the set of 3 Raid dummies on top of the entrance to Valley of Honor.

We ran exactly 20 tests. Recount consistently showed him pulling 68k-71k without Glyph of Chain Lightning (10 tests), and consistently showed him pulling 77k-80k WITH Glyph of Chain Lightning (10 tests). We kept the time frame the same for each one (roughly 60 seconds).
    Honestly, 10 minutes of testing for each isn't enough to start controlling from random variation. When we were running beta tests, we were pulling together logs of hours of testing. I did about 3 hours of CL spam on dummies for one test, for instance, and that was for proc rates, which are easier to figure out than damage.

On 3 targets, Glyph of CL is going to be a little lower, on average, than normal CL. On 4, it's about break-even, and on 5, it's ideal.

Yeah, I knew it was supposed to be lower. I figured at least one test out of 20 would correlate with how it was supposed to work. But that range I listed wasn't an averge, it was a min-max. Minimum of 68k dps and maximum of 71k without the glyph on 3 targets, and 77k-80k WITH the glyph. So I thought there was possibly a bug from a hotfix or patch somewhere recently. Something with the mastery/Echo possibly acting with the glyph in a funny way.

Oh well, I'll tell him to keep messing with it if he gets the chance to get more data. I'm aware that 20 minutes on a dummy without full buffs doesn't mean much, but like I said... the blatant split between both situations seemed odd. Not a fan of believing we just so happened to get 10 heads in a row, then turn around and get 10 tails in a row. With those odds, I need to buy a lottery ticket.

If you really want to do tests for the glyph alone, take off all gear and remove the echo talent.

This could help remove any inconsistency issues with trinket/enchant procs or echo RNG.

Deleted
    R to the N to the G yo. Get used it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    If you really want to do tests for the glyph alone, take off all gear and remove the echo talent.

This could help remove any inconsistency issues with trinket/enchant procs or echo RNG.
    But you'd get RNG from misses happening and not happening so that's not really going to remove all inconsistency either.