Page 1 of 2
LastLast

25M Resto switching to 10M, LF tips, advice etc.

As the title says, I'm gonna be switching to 10M raiding next reset, I've like to know what to expect. Should there any differences in gearing, ie. more or less spirit, changes in glyphs, etc.

Is it with the same guild or did you join a new one? I guess the biggest difference in 10 man healing is that you may not have strict healing assignments, and roles often overlap. In my 10 man healing team, all of us usually "just heal everything" and because of this, rotation centric builds like SotF may not always work.

Spirit and glyphs can still change depending on the encounter.
    Ashr

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    Is it with the same guild or did you join a new one? I guess the biggest difference in 10 man healing is that you may not have strict healing assignments, and roles often overlap. In my 10 man healing team, all of us usually "just heal everything" and because of this, rotation centric builds like SotF may not always work.

Spirit and glyphs can still change depending on the encounter.
    You hard cast in 10 man a lot more I've noticed, as opposed to the Rejuv-fest that is 25s =D

Its a new guild that I'm joining. I'm guessing I have to focus on tanks a bit more than I do in 25s. I think I'm moreso concerned over how mana will feel in 10's. I used to have 2 mana tides in my previous guild so I never had any real mana issues.

I can agree with that feeling of "heal everything" on 10man, when I switched a few times to 25 I tried to do the same "heal everything" and got really screwed up mana wise real quick trying to heal everyone. Once we got the healing assignments out it actually seemed easier since I had really only my own group to worry about.

Also, in 10 mans you have a lot less cds, just like you noticed, u won't have that many mana tides nor a ton of tranqs and shit like that. I find healers communication essential on 10man, specially on 2 healing fights where one healer gets stunned/phased/drinking (i.e. garajal spir realm), you need to know that other healer is down and plan for that in advance (i.e. LB blanked with tree of life or whatnot).

Funny enough, my own guild is moving off from 10 to 25 soon and I'm really curious how as a resto druid I'll perform. On the few 25 runs we did in the past, i felt like we suck for not having huge aoe heals like healing rain except for tranq etc. I guess on mushrooms might be the solution for that on 25 man, but for 10 I just simply ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    I can agree with that feeling of "heal everything" on 10man, when I switched a few times to 25 I tried to do the same "heal everything" and got really screwed up mana wise real quick trying to heal everyone. Once we got the healing assignments out it actually seemed easier since I had really only my own group to worry about.

Also, in 10 mans you have a lot less cds, just like you noticed, u won't have that many mana tides nor a ton of tranqs and shit like that. I find healers communication essential on 10man, specially on 2 healing fights where one healer gets stunned/phased/drinking (i.e. garajal spir realm), you need to know that other healer is down and plan for that in advance (i.e. LB blanked with tree of life or whatnot).

Funny enough, my own guild is moving off from 10 to 25 soon and I'm really curious how as a resto druid I'll perform. On the few 25 runs we did in the past, i felt like we suck for not having huge aoe heals like healing rain except for tranq etc. I guess on mushrooms might be the solution for that on 25 man, but for 10 I just simply ignore them.
    Effervescence is druid's healing rain - remember not to use it on someone standing alone for just the initial heal, the aoe healing it does is very significant

Healing in 10 man is alot easier compared to 25 man - there's alot less targets to care about, and your Wild Growth will hit basicly everyone, making your aoe-healing more effective. And of course, abilities in general deals less damage in 10 man.
    Something you may want to consider is the glyph of lifebloom, for fights where there are tank switches (blade lord, Garajal, Feng, Empress, Ambershaper off the top of my head currently). The tank that isn't tanking is rarely going to be taking damage, and you don't have 5 healers worth of passive abilities sitting on them, only two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Healing in 10 man is alot easier compared to 25 man - there's alot less targets to care about, and your Wild Growth will hit basicly everyone, making your aoe-healing more effective. And of course, abilities in general deals less damage in 10 man.
    Something you may want to consider is the glyph of lifebloom, for fights where there are tank switches (blade lord, Garajal, Feng, Empress, Ambershaper off the top of my head currently). The tank that isn't tanking is rarely going to be taking damage, and you don't have 5 healers worth of passive abilities sitting on them, only two.
    wat.

25m healing requires more coordination to reduce overhealing, its not intrinsically harder

You will have to switch some of your rotations and have a high awareness of your cd's. If you look at Wind Lord Mel'jarak for example you need to be aware that you need to be able to heal through a whole aoe in phase 2 allone if the other healer doesn't have any cd's ready.
    Mana shouldn't be an issue if it wasn't in 25-man. You have less cd's but the raid will also get less damage. There's a bit more hard casting than in 25-mans, because the raid is much more spread out usually than it is in 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Effervescence is druid's healing rain - remember not to use it on someone standing alone for just the initial heal, the aoe healing it does is very significant
    Efflorescence only really hits 3 targets vs everyone with standing on it with healing rain

wat.

25m healing requires more coordination to reduce overhealing, its not intrinsically harder
    And 10 man requires no coordination at all, basicly. And even with "assigned" groups and targets in 25 man, thats a horribly inefficient way to do it on anything that isn't Yorsahj's purple phase, as damage will usually hit random people, so if others do not help a person with their group, people might die =P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    And 10 man requires no coordination at all, basicly. And even with "assigned" groups and targets in 25 man, thats a horribly inefficient way to do it on anything that isn't Yorsahj's purple phase, as damage will usually hit random people, so if others do not help a person with their group, people might die =P.
    you're correct for example on fights where the healing required between the tank and raid is similar enough that one healer can heal the tank and the other raid heal

Unfortunately that isn't the case on the vast majority of fights. Plus, I was referring to coordination in the sense that good teams play well together, not literal vocal pre-coordination of healing targets.

you're correct for example on fights where the healing required between the tank and raid is similar enough that one healer can heal the tank and the other raid heal

Unfortunately that isn't the case on the vast majority of fights. Plus, I was referring to coordination in the sense that good teams play well together, not literal vocal pre-coordination of healing targets.
    As a resto druid, the majority of the time you spend healing is either putting hots on a target and leaving them, or filler-nourish/healing touching the tank (dependant on damage intake) anyway. You can't coordinate WG, and the other healers should be looking out for your rejuvs, so they don't waste their mana and make them overheal *shrugh*.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    * Less hots
    * Less WG
    * More nourish
    * More healing touch
    * More regrowth
    * More tank healing
    * Mana conscious healing
    * More nourish
    * Guaranteeing WG hits maximum targets (people are more spread out)
    * Guaranteeing Efflo hits maximum targets (harder to do with using it to keep a tank from dying as a insta-heal)
    * No spamming heals "on CD" - don't spam WG / SM just cause. There needs to be a strategy.

Overall you need to insure that the decisions you're making are guaranteeing the least amount of over heal. Resto druids in particular are obviously already subjected to overhealing concerns but in 10 man it's that much more important because you are generally under healing a lot of fights. Basically most 10 man fights (if your guild isn't drool cup) you can imagine the healing feeling like pre-nerf heroic spine was on 25 man - constantly bringing more dps and less heals thereby making your efficiency incredibly important. Turn off meters and worry about strategy - plan out all your healing CDs and proactively use your own Barkskin on yourself and Ironbark on the tank. Every aspect of a fight is much more important for you to pay attention to - you are raid and tank healing at all times.

LB tank, nourish refresh LB, Reju less (or when its needed), WG alot, place your Elflorecent mostly on Melee so tank can benefit from it, or reju yourself and run towards a place where Elflorecent benefit others (Tell the raid if you see the circle, get in).

Do not spam direct heals such as HT, you will go oom so quick...Omen clarity will proc quite often where you can benefit some quick heals from Regrowth glyph (avg 80k heals or you can HT if you want), and top them with WG.

LB Glyph is quite useful. Example, when you are doing Elegon, you can save mana by just switching LB target, and WG when needed. Swiftness + HT is too good to give up.

Incarnation with raid is taking consistant dmg, reju yourself, WG, Elflorecent yourself on a place where ppl is standing and spam LB. When Tree is nearly off and you need to top, Tranq, and if you still need to have more heals, Nature's vigil with 3 shroom, reju yourself, break shroom and elflorecent then WG which gives a good burst in heal.

btw, i still think resto dru is kinda a weaksauce now which is quite dissapointing in some fights.

imo, Resto dru is a class to not let ppl die so quick, i don't heal people to full if its not necessary, and if you pair with a Holy Pally, pretty much nothing can go wrong.

Tho it is really hard to heal more than a shaman(healing rain) when the raid is stacked. Efflo duration is low, while healing rain will stay there for the whole time.

btw: What do you people think about wild growth glyph in 10man?
    Last edited by Rorschachs; 2012-11-07 at 01:00 AM.

I've really like to thank everyone for the replies so far. Quite a bit of useful tidbits of information.

Quote Originally Posted by manamonster View Post
    generally under healing a lot of fights. Basically most 10 man fights (if your guild isn't drool cup) you can imagine the healing feeling like pre-nerf heroic spine was on 25 man - constantly bringing more dps and less heals thereby making your efficiency incredibly important.
    I have to cut in here - unless you're solo healing the fights, then you're "usually" bringing in far more comparable healing power than a 25 man. With 2 healers (the normal 10 man go-to healing setup) you get 1 healer per 5 persons. With 3, you get 1 healer per 3.34 persons. In 25 man, with 5 healers, you get 1 healer per 5 persons, and even with 7 (which is the max we've used, on shek'zeer and garalon), is 1 per 3.57 players. So yea. Considering 25 man drops to 3-4 healers on garajal and spirit kings, then 10 man is not the difficulty that has issues with "underhealing" stuff.
    The only fights where it's balanced, is when 25 man uses 5 and 10 man uses 2.

For ten man you'll need to change up your gear modifications. Regem any pure spirit gems to int/spirit (for all blue slots). Change your meta from Revitalizing to Burning. Any red gem slots should be straight int, any yellow gem slots should be int/mastery (or int/haste if it makes the haste breakpoint cleaner). I run with ~7400 spirit with darkmoon card and the MV trash trinket macro'd to wild growth and usually have much less mana issues than either my main healer partner, a shaman, or the ret/holy paladin we have when we have to 3 heal something.

Healing on 10 man is much more hectic than 25 man because, as others have said, you are healing everything. You will normally roll lifebloom on the tank that is the beacon or the one without earthshield, etc. Roll rejuv on both tanks most of the fight (if both are tanking at the same time), keeping wild growth uptime high and swiftmend on cd (no reason not to) and making sure mastery stays up. You heal through aura damage, spike tank damage, multi target aoe damage all with the same toolkit and with usually only 1 other healer to rely on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    I run with ~7400 spirit with darkmoon card and the MV trash trinket macro'd to wild growth and usually have much less mana issues than either my main healer partner, a shaman, or the ret/holy paladin we have when we have to 3 heal something..
    7400 spirit WITH those buffs, or without them?

EDIT: Well, logically, you're saying without them, since they alone give almost 6500 spirit or something.

Concensus, agreed on the numbers.