Advice on using a Laptop

Hello guys, so I bought a laptop a few days ago and since I'm knew to laptops, I'd like to ask 2 questions about proper use of a laptop.

1.What is the proper way to charge the battery?
    I just want to the battery to last so I'm wondering what's the best way of charging the battery?

2.I will sometimes use the laptop for games, but I'm aware that laptops tend to gain heat quickly, so I'm wondering what could I do to mitigate the effects of heating. I'm wondering? Am I safe to play demanding games for 2 hours straight for example?

Thanks

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well not all Labtops are the same so you've made post that isn't possible to answer, because you didn't tell us which labtop you have. Different hardware is more apt to heat up and labtops have different cooling set-ups.

1. As for some general things I don't really thing it matters how you charge your labtop. Your laptop isn't going to have a a great battery life while gaming and should be plugged in while gaming anyways.

2. Labtops have different "power states" that you can change which effects how much power it uses and throttles your performance to increase battery life. Make sure to adjust your power state to high performance to get your labtop at its highest performance.

3. People say that laptops cant be used for gaming, but with todays hardware its mostly bs unless you have a low spec labtop.

Again it might be helpful to post your specs.

Source (I game on a Alienware m17x Labtop)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Yea like threads about retards in LFG imply all WoW players are retards

I mean if you are fat then you are fat, this thread won't make you more offended than the mirror.

Ok no problem: So what I got is a SAMSUNG - NP350V5C
    CPU: i5-3210M
    GPU: AMD Radeon 7670M
    RAM: 4gig

I will mostly be playing Guild Wars 2, at medium details. I played for about 30 mins like that, CPU temperature went up to 72C and GPU went to 62 I think.

What do you think? I never play too much, not more than 2 hours straight, that's why I was wondering if the laptop will handle 2 hours of Guild Wars 2 this way.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Should've gone with a laptop with a better GPU, the 7670M isn't really oriented for gaming.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

To use the laptop for gaming you should invest in cooler pad for laptop to sit on cm storm has some pretty good ones and play with the laptop plugged in for better performance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by buggers View Post
    To use the laptop for gaming you should invest in cooler pad for laptop to sit on cm storm has some pretty good ones and play with the laptop plugged in for better performance
    Meh, i've gamed on a laptop for like 3 years, never bought one of those...

It's not that useful IMO.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    Ok no problem: So what I got is a SAMSUNG - NP350V5C
    CPU: i5-3210M
    GPU: AMD Radeon 7670M
    RAM: 4gig

I will mostly be playing Guild Wars 2, at medium details. I played for about 30 mins like that, CPU temperature went up to 72C and GPU went to 62 I think.

What do you think? I never play too much, not more than 2 hours straight, that's why I was wondering if the laptop will handle 2 hours of Guild Wars 2 this way.

Thanks
    As he said the 7670m isnt the greatest graphics card in the world, but if your getting decent frames per second in guild wars 2 then its probably good enough. Your cpu and gpu temperatures are well within normal range and they're actually pretty low so your good there. You could invent in a labtop cooler if you wanted, but if you keep your fans blown out with air like 1-2 times a month your labtop should run pretty cool as it is now.

I dont know whatelse your doing on the labtop, but if your running any programs like photoshop or Autodesk products 4gb of ram is pretty low and its very simple to upgrade your ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Yea like threads about retards in LFG imply all WoW players are retards

I mean if you are fat then you are fat, this thread won't make you more offended than the mirror.

Ok thanks for reassuring me. I'm just new to laptops and wasn't sure if such temperatures are all right.

I know the card isn't great, but I only really play Guild Wars 2 and on medium, I get 30-40 fps which are enough for me. I even got 20 fps on high. My budget was limited and this was the best I found. If I only wanted to buy something for gaming with the same money I would obviously build a computer and it would have been better but I had to choose a laptop for it's mobility etc.

As for the ram, I know it's not big deal to upgrade, I will surely add some RAM after some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    Meh, i've gamed on a laptop for like 3 years, never bought one of those...

It's not that useful IMO.
    This.

The airflow is bottlenecked by the intake grills on the laptop, if you really are going to buy one of those, it should only be for leveling the laptop up so the intake doesn't get blocked by ie. bedsheets.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using an ASUS G73 for a couple years now and have played pretty much any game on max settings and have never had a problem, so you should be okay to play GW2 more than two hours if you'd like.

Also... What is with the toss back and forth between "labtop" and "laptop"... It is a "laptop", it is meant to sit on your lap... not your Labrador running around with a bone in its mouth.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II