Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Gardening - A precursor to player housing?

What with our very own successful gardens in MoP could this be a step towards player housing? The concept alone could be quite simple... Choose a house + theme located in the starter areas, have it phased/instanced, have your own garden, items bought or gained via rep, private bank etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this exact same topic, including the same path of logic (personal phased farm + upgrades to living environment + own mailbox), has come up before in a blue post.
    I think I can recall the blue saying 'basically yes, these could be seen as baby steps towards player housing, but no promises'.

Of course, I'd want to invite other players into my own personal phase-house too, so they can see my many books and inhale the scent of rich mahogany.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Why do people always speculate because of certain similarities? I can see that you'd want it but why can't it just be farming and that's it, why does it have to possibly lead to something else?

OT: I doubt they would implement it imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Why do we keep bringing up player housing, it's at best interesting for roleplayers.

I've accepted a lot under the years,but blizzard devoting a bunch of resources on making houses, wallpapers, furniture, items and whatnot for each race would be disastrous, and then there'd be a small but perhaps significant demand for additional items..

The Sims: Warcraft with DLC
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Well, they are indeed testing things with the farm but getting a house will only be useful if we can have some useful stuff in there.
    Mailbox would be nice but I don't see that as a reason for having player-housing.

Things like portals would be nice and also some storage. With features like these player-housing would be very useful.
    Then we will get the negatives as people would afk in their house and wait for a queue, going into the world would be out of the question if we would have several portals.
    So what would be the reason to have it? I am in doubt about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Well, they are indeed testing things with the farm but getting a house will only be useful if we can have some useful stuff in there.
    Mailbox would be nice but I don't see that as a reason for having player-housing.

Things like portals would be nice and also some storage. With features like these player-housing would be very useful.
    Then we will get the negatives as people would afk in their house and wait for a queue, going into the world would be out of the question if we would have several portals.
    just forbid queues while in your house and everything will be fine lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post

I don't get the purpose of it either... inviting people into your house to hang out would be somewhat ... rare I imagine unless you RP. So basically it would just be a place to afk in, or to grind out furniture or objects that only you will really ever see... and if they tie items into achives, an ingame trophy cabinet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the bady steps honestly. Rift is already doing it. And making so it is just amazingly customization.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that I care about housing per se, but would be nice if it came with storage.
    Like:
    - Wardrobe where you can store different sets of gear and especially always can recover the BoA gear. It's spread across several toon with me at the moment and I have completely lost track of where they are... would be nice to always be able to get it back in one spot, automatically removing it from the current character wearing it and assignable to the new one.
    - Pantry where you can store food and cooking supplies
    - Shed to store profession mats
    - Big closet for all the fun items you want to hang on to, like the spittoon, D.I.S.C.O., sandbox tigers etc.
    - And yes mailbox would be nice, but to be honest least important... just making more sense...

Would be best implemented if the house was account-wide. Would be nice to regain some space in my bank and bags.... Had to ditch a lot of stuff at the bgeinning of MoP already and it's getting harder to clear up every time since I have so many items I don't wanna get rid of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why do we keep bringing up player housing, it's at best interesting for roleplayers.

I've accepted a lot under the years,but blizzard devoting a bunch of resources on making houses, wallpapers, furniture, items and whatnot for each race would be disastrous, and then there'd be a small but perhaps significant demand for additional items..

The Sims: Warcraft with DLC
    Many people don't care for PvP or Raiding but accept others do and thus content catered to them, why can't you return the same courtesy?

Yes it's a roleplayer catered feature BUT this is an RPG and roleplayers are devoted players. We don't want much, just a house phased where we can invite friends and RP whilst collecting uniqe items. Everything is already in-game, it wouldn't take that much resources... Frankly I believe RPers deserve love too

I think it could work, not like anyone talks to each other in town as it is.

If they do make player housing I hope you can buy armor racks to place old/xmog gear on. I have no room in void storage or my bank (all 24 slot bags) from all my gear for mogging. Do want.

I don't really RP (though I have played on RP servers in the past), but I would still like player housing at some point. Like others have said, it would be fun to search for furniture/trophies to display. I think they could also implement some sort of upgrade system (maybe along the lines of a secondary profession or quest line). Not to mention extra storage, vendors, etc.

So yeah, I'm in favor of it.

Your house could be the site of the farming minigame if they decide they want to keep and improve it through future expansions, is the best use I can think of for it.

Say expansion 5 comes out, and people want to farm still. Will they make a new farm in (expansion 5) land? Will they have to make a new farm and story about why we care for every expansion? Easier to just put it all in one static location that isn't in any expansion content, your own private garden, in front of your own private house. :3

Then it can be opened for lower levels eventually too.

Honestly a lot of furniture could easily be made of already existing doodads. There are already models for tons of different chairs and tables, for example.

I kind of don't understand the point of player housing. Is it just that you don't want to run all over town for things, or is there a "The Sims" appeal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Amount of times I was talking about fishing and planting on the forums, surprised they implimented farming and did something with fishing beyond just the weekly tournament. But don't like the Sims3 version of planting though, and making that even about fighting. The competition with planting is volume produced!

But player housing if it does come, will have Blizzard's mark on it. After seeing suggestions offered and Blizz just had to make it their implimentation of it, I'm not hoping it will be housing that you can decorate freely with ingame items. It'll be something like LotR peg system or such, very limited (more so, since the professions don't support making housing goods. You'll then have to buy items or get them via quests/raids/dungeons and place them on predefined stands/tables and what not. EQ2 has the best system out there, all items can be place and rotated to fit your hall. Where other games trying to stack books causes the physics to push them out -- Oblivion anyone? EQ2, you can place the 100000001 books on your shelves as you like them in various angles...and they don't move. Take a while to do it, but house decorators like doing that stuff. I mean they make lofts in houses with rugs, even...lol).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    Why do people always speculate because of certain similarities? I can see that you'd want it but why can't it just be farming and that's it, why does it have to possibly lead to something else?

OT: I doubt they would implement it imo.
    Why the fuck not? Several Blizzard devs have said this is an experiment with content that could end up with something like housing, and many devs have said over the years housing is something they are not ruling out for the game.

A huge part of RPGs is in building up a collection of experiences and symbols of progression, a house is a huge symbol of such a thing.
    If you're just a power gamer, then you're loitering. Maybe enjoy the pieces of this game you like and stop trying to criticize the parts of the game you feel are unnecessary.
    Last edited by Yig; 2012-11-02 at 05:55 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I kind of don't understand the point of player housing. Is it just that you don't want to run all over town for things, or is there a "The Sims" appeal?
    You don't have to understand it... I personally don't understand the appeal of PvP but I don't demand no future PvP content

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see player housing. I really did enjoy it in FFXI. It was nice to decorate it with purchased paintings and whatnot from the AH or quests. I don't think it would turn into a negative WoW experience versus providing value enhancement. Sure, not everyone would use it, but I would love to see it.

I hope that if they implement housing it's a guild hall instead of player housing, or both maybe. But that's just me.