Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just because I want to eat a burger, doesnt mean I want to be the one to kill the cow.

Hunting is not something I am interested in. Ive never even held a gun in my 24 years on this planet.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Because they don't need to hunt in order to obtain meat. It is killing something when you don't need too.

According to your point of view, I shouldn't raise cattle, chickens, goats, ducks, geese, bees, etc; because I can buy the items in the store?

There's no difference in me raising those animals, which I do, and hunting deer on my property. It all goes in the freezer and gets eaten.

Hunting is not a sport, it is a recreational activity. Much like bushwalking and rock climbing.

There's no sport in killing something that's defenceless.

Yes there is, where would we get enough meat for our population without damaging the environment beyond repair? The earth can not support us, hunting could not support all of us.
    No there really isn't. You consider the meat industry a necessity(it's really not, it's a choice, we could go vegitarian), something that is highly unatural, cattle, or rather the animals we domesticated was never meant to live the way they do, but condemn something that is actually quite natural, something we've done for fucking 1000s of years, not to mention that controled, regulated hunt doesn't even affect wild life negatively, rather the opposit if there are no natural predators.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    i dont think you even know what point you were going to make, i believe all your debatable cards have been played. and they have all been trumped.

you should have left it at "killing for fun = bad" and walked away.
    Not really, the only retorts I've got are "But I like to eat wild meat!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    pheasant hunting with a brittany...
    Nothing like a beautiful hunting dog.

OT:

I think a lot of people misunderstand hunters. No one loves the wildlife and wants to conserve more than a hunter does. You have to respect, sympathize, understand, and love the wildlife to be a true woodsman. I'll give you a perfect example. I once got in a fairly long argument with some guy from canada about how he wants to shoot black bears that come on his property.

I tried to explain to this bloke that black bears are one of the most peaceful, timid animals in the world, and there is no reason to be afraid of them coming on his property. Even a mother black bear won't attack to protect her cubs because that would be counter productive to teaching them to run up a tree from danger. He seemed to be fairly convinced black bears were no different than grizzly bears. This guy was no hunter.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-11-05 at 10:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    You have selective reading then...sry.
    I have yet to see anyone provide me with a reason as to why hunting is necessary in our society.

I have yet to see anyone provide me with a reason as to why hunting is necessary in our society.
    actually, i did. but you must have missed it. around here, and in other parts of the country, people that are living in poverty hunt to help sustain themselves. also, it is a legit means of population control. unless you think cullings, ie massacres where a lot is wasted to no good end is a better solution

It's called reading. You should try it sometime. I hear it helps with understanding things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, selective reading. Try scanning through everyone's comments and replies to you.
    I have. None of the reasons make me believe our society needs hunters. It simply doesn't.

Hunting is in no way necessary for our survival anymore. That is why I don't support it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    It's called reading. You should try it sometime. I hear it helps with understanding things.
    People liking to eat different forms of meats and liking to do things doesn't make it necessary.

Killing something - taking the life of another organism, merely for sport, for play, is disgusting and immoral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    actually, i did. but you must have missed it. around here, and in other parts of the country, people that are living in poverty hunt to help sustain themselves. also, it is a legit means of population control. unless you think cullings, ie massacres where a lot is wasted to no good end is a better solution
    having outliers in our society doesn't make the concept necessary. If you can't afford meat then by all means go hunting, I've never disputed that you should be able too. However, every hunter on this site can't use that excuse, if you can access the internet then you can afford meat.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:31 PM ----------

But you support cows being raised in concrete factories, never seeing pastries or fresh open air, just for the sole purpose of being eaten? That's right, but hunting wild animals is not? Did I get that right?
    Probably the 8th time I've said this, I don't support the treatment of cattle, i just understand why we have it.

I have. None of the reasons make me believe our society needs hunters. It simply doesn't.

Hunting is in no way necessary for our survival anymore. That is why I don't support it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:28 PM ----------

People liking to eat different forms of meats and liking to do things doesn't make it necessary.
    /facepalm

Well this was a nice way to build my post count but you are obviously being obtuse. I am going to spend my time doing something better than beating my head against the brick wall that is your "logic".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    /facepalm

Well this was a nice way to build my post count but you are obviously being obtuse. I am going to spend my time doing something better than beating my head against the brick wall that is your "logic".
    So you can't think of a reason as to why our society, or you for example, need hunting?

I hunt humans, so be polite next time you cross a stranger's path.

This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..

I really hope all of you preaching this are vegans. Then again if you're a vegan, you might want to look up how many animals get killed in the process of gathering your grains/vegetables and clearing of land for the farms.
    Last edited by anveena; 2012-11-05 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, then why do people grow their own veggies and get their own eggs and milk from their own animals? Is that wrong to you? So we all need to buy our food directly from the stores for it to be considered moral and right?
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.

having outliers in our society doesn't make the concept necessary. If you can't afford meat then by all means go hunting, I've never disputed that you should be able too. However, every hunter on this site can't use that excuse, if you can access the internet then you can afford meat.
    i think you underestimate the number of people that are scraping by in rural areas... you know, where the deer are. also you might be underestimating the price of meat. or overestimating the quality. or underestimating the amount of concern about hormones and such that are prevalent in american beef and chicken.

you also failed to address my point about population control.

and at the end of the day, killing an animal for food is killing an animal for food. there is nothing more moral about a cow being killed than a deer. or a chicken.

to be technical, no animal has to die for people to eat. we can all be vegetarians, but some things flat out come down to choice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..

I really hope all you preaching this are vegans. Then again if you're a vegan, you might want to look up how many animals get killed in the process of gathering your grains/vegetables and clearing of land for the farms.
    I remember finding a deer foot in a bale of hay one time when feeding my parent's horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.
    Being capable of being self reliant, while not necessary during "good" times, is never a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps