Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    why on earth would you go hunting when you can just go to the store, how can it possibly be called sport> I understand if you are starving and need food - but to just go out for fun and shoot animals, its lame, its not even manly - standing half a mile away sniping at an animal that doesnnt know you are there, really lame - I think its small penis complex
    That part made me laugh... because it truly shows you do not know anything about hunting.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have never hunted and don't feel the need to. Not that I think it's bad to hunt (as in quite some occasions it's better for the biodiversity), but I just don't think it's my type of "sports".
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    FYI. someone who pays $20,000 to shoot an Elephant in Africa for a tusk, isn't a hunter. It's a tourist.
    Not to mention all those "hunts" are staged anyway.

No but it's a bit out of left field to include hunting safaris in Africa with someone hunting a deer in the rocky mountains.

You're suffering from the same problem EagleOwl is, grouping all hunters together.
    Well..... hunting for sport is hunting for sport. Maybe you've been mostly talking about hunting deer in the Rockies, I don't know, I didn't read all your posts or post in reply to you in particular.

That said, I don't really know how killing an African lion is different to killing a Grizzly bear, or a Siberian tiger. You shoot them, they are dead, and that's it. Useless. Hunting for food is a different story, as I posted before.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not to mention all those "hunts" are staged anyway.
    ...and more to do with the corruption of the governments for allowing the exploitation of animals in their lands in such a manner. Looking at you Tanzania and Mozambique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mountain Lion is a colloquialism. But seriously, is this what this discussion is degenerated into? Arguing semantic bullshit?

You're still making broad-stroke generalizations on what a hunter is and what their motives are.

FYI. someone who pays $20,000 to shoot an Elephant in Africa for a tusk, isn't a hunter. It's a tourist.
    Hunter who kills for: Trophies, Sport, thrill of the hunt or because he/she is too picky to eat beef is bad. imo

Hunter who kills because he/she has too is okay.

It's funny looking at the attempt we made at an honest conversation turned into, but I kinda have to go back to Jayloc's OP and realize he titled the OP "Hunting for Sport..."

I don't think most hunters do it strictly as a sport. Sport implies some sort of competition or winner, and as a hunter, I don't think that's what it's about at all.

That, I agree with you completely.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Well..... hunting for sport is hunting for sport. Maybe you've been mostly talking about hunting deer in the Rockies, I don't know, I didn't read all your posts or post in reply to you in particular.

That said, I don't really know how killing an African lion is different to killing a Grizzly bear, or a Siberian tiger. You shoot them, they are dead, and that's it. Useless. Hunting for food is a different story, as I posted before.
    I chalk it up to a misnomer at fault of the OP initially and it was "reformed" as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Hunter who kills for: Trophies, Sport, thrill of the hunt or because he/she is too picky to eat beef is bad. imo

And those who hunter for another reason?

...and more to do with the corruption of the governments for allowing the exploitation of animals in their lands in such a manner. Looking at you Tanzania and Mozambique.
    Aren't most of them on farms anyway? I know in the USA we have buffalo farms that you can pay and go shoot one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    That part made me laugh... because it truly shows you do not know anything about hunting.
    Are you going to keep flapping your gums and waving your arms around screaming "You just don't understand!" or are you actually going to explain why?

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    And those who hunter for another reason?
    Such as? Pretty sure I got them all.

Deleted
    Next year when i get my license, i will

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post

See that's the problem there. You group sport hunters (assholes who shoot something for trophies and leave it to rot) and people who hunt as part of tradition/gathering/whatever, for fresh meat. Into the same group...

One of those reasons has no purpose. I'm shocked you don't see the difference yet.

Well, I don't necessarily do it just for sport. I hunt deer, but I keep the meat and donate the fur. I love deer steak, deer jerky, deer burger, deer sausage...pretty much however you want to slice it I love it. If I get a big one I'll pass out some of the meat to my relatives and put the rest in the deep freezer. I don't really agree with killing animals just to put a trophy on your wall though. If you aren't going to use it, at least give it to someone that will.

Edit: I only hunt with bow and arrow though. At least there is some challenge there.
    Last edited by tibben; 2012-11-05 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Aren't most of them on farms anyway? I know in the USA we have buffalo farms that you can pay and go shoot one.
    Yeah probably, but we've already been enlightened that killing shit on farms is apparently a-ok. Because it was born to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    It's funny looking at the attempt we made at an honest conversation turned into, but I kinda have to go back to Jayloc's OP and realize he titled the OP "Hunting for Sport..."

I don't think most hunters do it strictly as a sport. Sport implies some sort of competition or winner, and as a hunter, I don't think that's what it's about at all.
    I have the strong belief (as in no proof) that most hunters hunt for food. If they happen to score a 14 point buck then happy days. I don't believe that is their goal though when they go out to find a deer. It is the very small minority that make it seem like all hunters are bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    See that's the problem there. You group sport hunters (assholes who shoot something for trophies and leave it to rot) and people who hunt as part of tradition/gathering/whatever, for fresh meat. Into the same group...

One of those reasons has no purpose. I'm shocked you don't see the difference yet.
    I group them in because I feel the same way about them.

Yeah probably, but we've already been enlightened that killing shit on farms is apparently a-ok. Because it was born to die.
    Every time I bicycle past a cattle farm, I always threaten the cattle that I'm going to turn them into a taco.

i consider hunting for sport the same as killing people.
    i eat meat, but killing animal for fun is simply wrong.