Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I think people who need to should, but I also think people who do it for sport or do it simply because they wan't to eat a Deer are disgusting

Necessity----> Vanity.

You can keep putting words in my mouth though.
    So it's vanity now? It's actually impossible to put words in your mouth because you've gone through the entire gamut there's no room left. You went from cruelty/barbarism, to a lack of necessity, basically calling someone a sociopath for using it as a family exercise, to now calling hunting for anything other than pure survival to be purely vane.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people who need to should, but I also think people who do it for sport or do it simply because they wan't to eat a Deer are disgusting

Necessity----> Vanity.

You can keep putting words in my mouth though.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:13 PM ----------

The simple solution is culls.
    But what's the point in letting it get to that point? That's why there is a bag limit, to limit your "vanity" hunters. Like I said in MY posts, i just enjoy nature in general, simply going on a hike is sufficient for me, I kill 2 deer a year for MEAT because I do not like beef or the treatment of cattle. It is healthier than beef by a long shot.
    Survival is Key

Necessity----> Vanity.
    Not to intrude on the conversation, here, but you keep making this point, and it's really not true, as I've explained. I understand you've a difference of opinion, and don't take this the wrong way, but if you really do live in Vancouver - I don't expect you to understand it. The fact that hunting is not a necessity, by your definition of the word, in modern society, does not imply it is a vanity.

Though I'd make the argument that hunting is a necessity in having a firm grasp of the reality of where our food comes from.

Deleted
    No, and wouldn't want to try it. Neither hunting nor fishing. I like eating meat, but hunting for sport? That's sick and barbaric. Killing an innocent life so that you could pride with a trophy of its head or something. How would you feel if someone killed you just to mount your head on a wall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    So it's vanity now? It's actually impossible to put words in your mouth because you've gone through the entire gamut there's no room left. You went from cruelty/barbarism, to a lack of necessity, basically calling someone a sociopath for using it as a family exercise, to now calling hunting for anything other than pure survival to be purely vane.
    Hunting for sport = Barbarism, cruelty, vanity

Hunting out of need = Necessary, Survival

The same action, with different motives. No different then say:

Murder to self defense.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    Not to intrude on the conversation, here, but you keep making this point, and it's really not true, as I've explained. I understand you've a difference of opinion, and don't take this the wrong way, but if you really do live in Vancouver - I don't expect you to understand it. The fact that hunting is not a necessity, by your definition of the word, in modern society, does not imply it is a vanity.

Though I'd make the argument that hunting is a necessity in having a firm grasp of the reality of where our food comes from.
    Then what would you call Sport hunting? I feel as though vanity is a perfect word to describe it.

I don't consider it a sport because there is no compitition, once you're hunting cougars/bears with a meleeweapon, we can think about calling it a sport. I can understand the apeal, stalking a prey, surviving in the elements, feeling like your ancestors, but you lose me at using firearms.

I'm somewhat of an amateur tracker, I spend quite some time in the forests here, I love doing that, but I don't see what the benefit would be in pulling a gun on the animals I've been tracking, I'd rather point my camera and shoot it with that. I can get proof of my tracking that way,instead of mounting their head on a wall.

I don't see it as a sport, I'm not going to discuss the moral points behind it.

Murder to self defense.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:23 PM ----------

Then what would you call Sport hunting? I feel as though vanity is a perfect word to describe it.

Well im just going to come out and say what most of us are thinking about now... You will never understand what hunting is, or means as you have a severely slanted view on the topic.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Never! I find it utterly disgusting. I wish all the world would just become vegetarian. Sure the animals might be less intelligent than humans but if you think about if for a second, they can still feel pain, horror and fear. I would never do that to another living being and I havent eaten animal meat since I was six.
    So do the immigrants harvesting your vegetables :P (no offense, it's a joke)

OnTopic: Never done it, but would try hunting FOR FOOD. A rabbit or a duck. However hunting for sport, especially endangered species like African lions (some rich sickos actually do this), is disgusting.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Murder to self defense.
    But you said that it wasn't a matter of ethics...so why barbarism and cruelty come into it at all is a mystery.

If someone goes hunting for a deer, shoots it and intends to eat it, versus buying a pack of venison meat at the grocery store what's the difference? A deer still had to die for it. The only difference is the intrinsic satisfaction a hunter gets from doing it themselves.

You seem to think it's like they're going out there mowing down herds of wild animals just to feel powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope and never will.
    I think we as a people do enough stupid shit to our planet and wildlife to just go around killing animals for fun. There are less destructive ways to enjoy oneself.

Hunting for food is a different matter. Aslong as it's clean and quick then it's fine. Even then I'm hesitant to do it myself.
    The last time I did anything of the sort was mackerel fishing with my dad down in Cornwall where you paid to go on a boat with others and fish. Barbed hooks, bashing the fish to death or keeping it out of water so it can't breath, I hated it.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-11-05 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Well im just going to come out and say what most of us are thinking about now... You will never understand what hunting is, or means as you have a severely slanted view on the topic.
    Then explain it too me.

No hunters that Ive ever known hunt for sport, they eat what they kill. I personally dont hunt but I support it 100% if you are hunting for food. Anyone kills just for the sake of killing is and idiot.

I've never hunted personally but I know lots of people who do. None of them do it solely for sport though. The meat is always used. Venison is mighty tasty and nothing beats deer jerky.

Deleted
    After getting my dog I've started considering it (well not hunting for sport, but hunting for food), would be the best way to feed my dog healthy BARF way. Especially when he's atm 5 months old and already eats 2-3 kilos a day.

Then explain it too me.
    It has been explained, several times by different people, Stede made an awesome post a page back, give it a read.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

I would only hunt to get the food I need to survive. I am against killing something just to kill, it slightly disturbing.

Before you say "What about bugs?" I have already covered that in a different thread. I put little bug signs up all around my yard that state, in Buganese (the most commonly used bug language) "All who enter forfeit their life if caught. If discovered outside their sentence will be determined on case by case."

'Sport' is a word that seems pretty indefensible. As you've presented and ddescribed it, 'sport hunting' seems as you've said. I'd counter that not all hunting falls into either the necessity bucket or the sport bucket.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've never hunted, and don't really have a desire to hunt (I don't generally like the outdoors, or traipsing around in the cold), but I can see why hunters do it, and I can see why they would find it enjoyable.

I have a feeling that The EagleOwlMage is having a problem with grouping hunters. It sounds like he'd have a problem with some rich guy going to Africa and shooting himself a Rhino. I might have a problem with that too.

But a deer hunter in the US. I think you have some misconceptions. Hunters may do it for the love of the sport, but it's not like they go BANG BANG and leave the carcass out in the woods.

But whatever, I'm tired of hearing the crying over the poor poor animals...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    It has been explained, several times by different people, Stede made an awesome post a page back, give it a read.

So you like hunting because you enjoy the grandeur of being a hunter? Sounds like vanity too me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Poll has been updated
    Thanks Darsithis