Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    You have to understand you're posting on a video game forum, most people here probably think all you have to do is line up the sights and you can kill anything in LoS.
    Trust me, i know this, lol... most people here do not understand what bullet drop or drift are, or what to do to sight in a rifle at 100, 200, or 300 yards. let alone stalking techniques.

Aren't you more likely to just maim the deer though? Genuine question.

If it is more likely to just maim the deer/cause undue suffering, I'd rather a gun were used for a quicker less painful death.
    If you dont know what you are doing, yes.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I'm not taking a moral stance on killing animals, I'm taking a moral stance on the unnecessary killing of animals I.E Sport hunting.
    But in all your posts you've been grouping sport hunting in with hunting for food and saying it's not necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    The more I think about it the more I come to realize why you are against hunting but are ok with cattle farms. It all boils down to death. With a cattle farm you see the cows alive then the next thing you know they are already cut up into pieces that have zero resemblance to their original form. With hunting you are the one doing the killing so it makes the kill that much more personal. While there are people who enjoy being the one that is responsible for killing their own food you seem to distance yourself as much as possible from it.
    Not at all, I am against hunting because often it is unnecessary. That is it.

And for the last fucking time I'm not okay with the treatment of cattle, I just realize that with the size of our population we need a source of meat that can easilly be produced and distributed.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    But in all your posts you've been grouping sport hunting in with hunting for food and saying it's not necessary.
    Hunting for food is unnecessary when you have a grocery store down the street.

I've said multiple times that it is not okay, I don't support it. I just see that it is necessary.
    It's not necessary. You can survive on a vegitarian diet. Your reasoning is totally out of order as far as I'm concerned.

Hunting on the other hand can actually be necessary at times, to cull the wildlife, if there are no natural predators for example.

I don't actually eat much meat at all, the gf is a fully sick vegitarian so it would make little sense to cook two different meals for dinner, but I do like to eat a nice roe deer steak for example. Not that I mind the meat industry as such, as long as they try to avoid animal abuse, and follow the regulations put in place.

But I really don't see the logic in your reasoning.

There is no real cruelty involved in hunting, the animal doesn't even see it coming(English fox hunt is different, is it english btw?), while high(er) stress levels for animals in a slaughterhouse is probably a lot more likely. Some of the most nature knowledgable/loving people I know, are long time hunters.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Not at all, I am against hunting because often it is the unnecessary. That is it.

And for the last fucking time I'm not okay with the treatment of cattle, I just realize that with the size of our population we need a source of meat that can easilly be produced and distributed.

Or people could hunt their own food and make grocery meat more abundant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think its pretty fucking sick to hunt for sport. Food is okay but shooting living - and defenseless - animals for the sake of it is disgusting. Wanna target practice? Shoot a clay pigeon instead.
    Fully agreed. We need to eat, and I can understand hunting for food. I can understand hunting if you're stuck somewhere and have nothing to eat. I can understand fishing for food. I can understand fishing because you fish to feed others.
    I can even understand hunting and fishing if the species has grown too much in numbers and is threatening other animals or humans.

I can and will never understand if you hunt and fish to put a trophy on a wall or make a picture. That is just sick. And while we're here, I will also not understand killing to get fur coats either, especially when there's cheaper and better materials to warm yourself. As someone said, this is just vanity.

Not at all, I am against hunting because often it is the unnecessary. That is it.

I'll remember the next time there's 15 starving deers in my back yard because of overpopulating to let them starve to death instead of shooting them

True hunting is unnecessary. What with meat costing next to nothing.

I give up, no matter how much we try to explain our stance on hunting you keep going "Hunting is bad, lalala". Hopefully one day you come to realize that hunting is not as bad as you make it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    It's not necessary. You can survive on a vegitarian diet. Your reasoning is totally out of order as far as I'm concerned.

Hunting on the other hand can actually be necessary at times, to cull the wildlife, if there are no natural predators for example.

I don't actually eat much meat at all, the gf is a fully sick vegitarian so it would make little sense to cook two different meals for dinner, but I do like to eat a nice roe deer steak for example. Not that I mind the meat industry as such, as long as they try to avoid animal abuse, and follow the regulations put in place.

But I really don't see the logic in your reasoning.

There is no real cruelty involved in hunting, the animal doesn't even see it coming(English fox hunt is different, is it english btw?), while high(er) stress levels for animals in a slaughterhouse is probably a lot more likely. Some of the most nature knowledgable/loving people I know, are long time hunters.
    I don't have a problem with people hunting for survival, people hunting because they have a craving for Roe deer meat just doesn't cut it for me. It isn't inherently about cruelty for me. It's about necessity, people who hunt simply don't need too in our society. It is needless killing.

I don't have a problem with people hunting for survival, people hunting because they have a craving for Roe deer meat just doesn't cut it for me. It isn't inherently about cruelty for me. It's about necessity, people who hunt simply don't need too in our society. It is needless killing.
    I agree, anything that I don't like should be banned.
    Let's all move to California.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    True hunting is unnecessary. What with meat costing next to nothing.

I give up, no matter how much we try to explain our stance on hunting you keep going "Hunting is bad, lalala". Hopefully one day you come to realize that hunting is not as bad as you make it out to be.
    Hunting isn't inherently bad, hunting without necessity is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    I agree, anything that I don't like should be banned.
    Let's all move to California.
    What if we dont like california

if it is going to be put to use it doesnt bother me at all. taking the head to the taxidermist and leaving the body lay does. at that point there is no reason for it but the joy of killing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    I'll remember the next time there's 15 starving deers in my back yard because of overpopulating to let them starve to death instead of shooting them
    In that situation a deer cull would be ordered. Ironically, if hunting hadn't reduced all of North Americas predators to endangered stats Deer populations could be more easily maintained.

The problem is with your definition of necessity. It's not a necessity for people to buy beef that's chocked full of hormones and is, in general, not that great for you, or be forced to pay $8 a pound for organic meat. They can go out and get their own meat for the cost of a bow and some arrows or a gun and some bullets, and a knife for skinning and butchering of course. You think that grocery stores automatically make hunting unnecessary. Not everyone shares that point of view.

I look at it like this, hunting controls population, which may not necessarily regulate itself efficiently. If you use what you kill (meat, fur, whatever), you are not wasting it. However, I think there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Hunting with a gun or bow on foot at least gives the animal the chance to run and hide. Traps, imo, are a very cruel way to kill an animal. I also think shooting from a helicopter is wrong, as the animal has no chance to get away from that. I also don't believe in killing endangered species and I think seasonal hunting is appropriate as well, to avoid killing a mother and leaving young to die.

In that situation a deer cull would be ordered. Ironically, if hunting hadn't reduced all of North Americas predators to endangered stats Deer populations could be more easily maintained.
    Its funny that you say that, because the wolf population around yellowstone has exploded and there has been licenses issued to control their population, because they are killing off the elk herds.

10+ Year Old Account
    do you not remember how many hikers were killed the last several years because of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The problem is with your definition of necessity. It's not a necessity for people to buy beef that's chocked full of hormones and is, in general, not that great for you, or be forced to pay $8 a pound for organic meat. They can go out and get their own meat for the cost of a bow and some arrows or a gun and some bullets, and a knife for skinning and butchering of course. You think that grocery stores automatically make hunting unnecessary. Not everyone shares that point of view.
    I tried that one on like page 6 already. Best of luck, maybe it sticks this time.

Then where do you draw the line? I agree that people who go out, kill an animal then let it rot are scum. But I am just lost on the concept of "necessity" and how you consider those who take pride in hunting for their own meat bad.

Lets focus on the second half. What distinguishes a person hunting for food and disliking the experience and someone who hunts for food and likes the experience other than the subjective feelings they may have towards the process? In the end the results are the same, they find something that they can eat and bring it home to be cooked. Neither of them are just out there to kill for the sake of killing.

The first half now. Do you live with just your necessity and nothing more? After all anything outside your necessity is apparently bad.