Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The problem is with your definition of necessity. It's not a necessity for people to buy beef that's chocked full of hormones and is, in general, not that great for you, or be forced to pay $8 a pound for organic meat. They can go out and get their own meat for the cost of a bow and some arrows or a gun and some bullets, and a knife for skinning and butchering of course. You think that grocery stores automatically make hunting unnecessary. Not everyone shares that point of view.
    I know, that's why we have hunters. I don't agree with it so I will argue against it.

Deleted
    I would like to try it sometime. Even if to simply spite PETA and animal rights activists.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I know, that's why we have hunters. I don't agree with it so I will argue against it.
    You arent arguing against it... you are demonizing it
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    You arent arguing against it... you are demonizing it
    It should also be noted that falling back on "because I don't agree with it" without giving solid reasons why tends to make your side of the argument rather weak.

Edit: Not yours Shadoweye. The person I am referring to knows who they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Duck hunting is great with a faithful, loving labrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Duck hunting is great with a faithful, loving labrador.
    pheasant hunting with a brittany...
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Then where do you draw the line? I agree that people who go out, kill an animal then let it rot are scum. But I am just lost on the concept of "necessity" and how you consider those who take pride in hunting for their own meat bad.
    Because they don't need to hunt in order to obtain meat. It is killing something when you don't need too.

Lets focus on the second half. What distinguishes a person hunting for food and disliking the experience and someone who hunts for food and likes the experience other than the subjective feelings they may have towards the process? In the end the results are the same, they find something that they can eat and bring it home to be cooked. Neither of them are just out there to kill for the sake of killing.
    It depends on the situation. If you can't afford meat from your grocery store then by all means go hunt, because then it is necessary. It doesn't matter if you derive enjoyment from it.

The first half now. Do you live with just your necessity and nothing more? After all anything outside your necessity is apparently bad.
    I usually get into this problem when arguing with people. I make decisions based on statistics and necessity. I usually don't let moral ambiguity dictate how I feel about things.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 01:58 PM ----------

It should also be noted that falling back on "because I don't agree with it" without giving solid reasons why tends to make your side of the argument rather weak.

Edit: Not yours Shadoweye. The person I am referring to knows who they are.
    I've given ample reason. It isn't needed.

It doesn't matter if you derive enjoyment from it.
    DING DING DING! Glad to see you finally figured it out.

sorry eagleowl, but i dont care for you definition of "necessary" at all. imo your view here is seriously skewed. i can understand a stance against thrill-killing type of hunting, but telling people "just get your meat from a supermarket!" just doesnt cut it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    do you not remember how many hikers were killed the last several years because of these?
    And I wonder how many of them we have killed over the last several years.

I don't have a problem with people hunting for survival, people hunting because they have a craving for Roe deer meat just doesn't cut it for me. It isn't inherently about cruelty for me. It's about necessity, people who hunt simply don't need too in our society. It is needless killing.
    So is the meat industry, but thats something you consider a necessity. There is no logic in your argumentation.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    sorry eagleowl, but i dont care for you definition of "necessary" at all. imo your view here is seriously skewed. i can understand a stance against thrill-killing type of hunting, but telling people "just get your meat from a supermarket!" just doesnt cut it
    Why though? Tell me why you need to kill and eat wild animals.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    So is the meat industry, but thats something you consider a necessity. There is no logic in your argumentation.
    Yes there is, where would we get enough meat for our population without damaging the environment beyond repair? The earth can not support us, hunting could not support all of us.

I am actually in the process of getting a hunter's permit.. Currently having theoritical sessions about ethics, laws and such stuff. Its a quite long-drawn course, so if all goes well, I'll have my license by April next year.

Oh and yes, of course, I intend to eat what I will eventually shoot. Would never kill just to kill.
    Last edited by Nudi; 2012-11-05 at 10:10 PM.

Deleted
    No, I find it abhorrent. Hunters should be forced by law to eat what they kill, it shouldn't be treated as a sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is the ethical difference between killing and eating a wild animal vs. a farm raised animal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    DING DING DING! Glad to see you finally figured it out.
    That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was trying to make.

Yes there is, where would we get enough meat for our population without damaging the environment beyond repair? The earth can not support us, hunting could not support all of us.
    Hence why there are hunting licenses and strict rules on what you can shoot and how much. Not to mention seasons to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOwl
    No but it explains our point exactly. People who hunt do so out of necessity. Wanna know what that necessity is? It might surprise you. Because they have to eat. Whether they get their meat from a deer or the store it doesn't matter as long as they use the meat and not let it rot.
    Last edited by ngc2440; 2012-11-05 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    I love that almost everyone thinks its wrong to hunt animals and they suffer, its painful and morally wrong <3

I hope that all of you "NAY-sayers" also are veggies?
    Cus in my opinion its much more morally wrong to eat cow or pig or such animals which basically just stand still in one place their entire life just to get fat fast so they can get killed. THAT is really animal suffering, etc, etc...

The animal you hunt and kill have lived in the free wild, hopefully a good life and DEFINITELY a better and more joyful life than a "super-breeded, eat-alot-cow" which only seen the ass of its brother while eating its entire life.

I know some ppl like to watch ass and eat a whole life, but I would surely choose the wild animals life and get killed in the wild instead of a frikking fabric with 100000 other livestock.

Hunting = Ecological Meat

i personally dont. but i have no objection to those who do hunt to eat. and yes, there are people around here that DO hunt for food, partly because they are poor. there are even programs that allow a hunter to donate his kill to groups that will feed poor and homeless people with it.

as for need? people need to eat. it's not your call what they eat or how they get it

sustainability? that's why there are regulations, when you can hunt, with what type of weapon, how many your can harvest

10+ Year Old Account

i dont think you even know what point you were going to make, i believe all your debatable cards have been played. and they have all been trumped.

you should have left it at "killing for fun = bad" and walked away.