Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dailies, Post-Burnout

When Pandaria came out, I powered to 90 (on a new main with 0 professions) so that I could start the daily grind, several hours every day, burned out hard, and quit dailies for a couple weeks (and turned off wow entirely for a week) shortly after getting Golden Lotus to Revered.

Over the past few days, I've started them up again. One day I came on, thought, hey, maybe I'll do some Anglers today, and go ahead and catch all the fish I need to finish out my cooking Ways. The next day I felt like doing Shado-Pan and running heroics to finish off my valor. Yesterday I only did the cooking dailies and started working on one of my alts. Tonight I think I'll finally try out pet battles.

Now that I've finally given up this idea that doing dailies is mandatory, and my guild is no longer pressuring us to max out everything, I'm starting to think that these dailies are actually kind of fun. Now, I log on and it actually feels more like there's a variety of things to choose from, rather than a long list of chores to do. I'm interested to see how this balance keeps up in future patches.

Anyone else starting to come around from the other side of burnout?

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy the daily quests at a relaxing pace that fits my play style. At first I was rushing to fill that rep bar but now I just do the daily quests while waiting on LFG or LFR to pop.

It's a good time waster for me and beats sitting idle doing nothing.

What burnout? still doing every possible daily I need from factions that aren't already exalted since the day 1 of 90.

Deleted
    i'm soon exalted with all pandarian factions, and i have been running on fumes for a very long time

Also its a shit ton of money. Not just from doing the quests, but drops, skinning/herbing/mining etc, motes (selling crafting gear).

Since starting dailies 2 weeks ago (I was one of the daily haters who swore to never do a single one) I've made around 75k, which may not seem like much to the rich, but its more gold than I have ever had ever.

I never felt pressured to complete the dailies as fast as possible. I only did Golden Lotus every day and that did get a bit annoying, but nothing worth crying about. I'm done with that rep though so now it's all sunshine and roses. I actually really enjoy doing these dailies. I don't do them if I'm valor capped though.

I find the dailies fun. But at the same time, I only do them (with a few exceptions) when at least one other person is doing the same ones. We just blow right thru them, chattering away and making jokes about the game. We will, in our best bug voices, start and end the Klaxxi dailies with our mantra of "Klaxxi dailies are eternal. Chitter-chitter."

Yea, I grinding the valor giving reps up to revered along with tillers to exalted. Now that it's done, I've only been doing maybe a group a day if that, which leads having to run a few extra dungeons to get valor capped each week. I haven't even started on the other "fun" factions, and I probably won't get exalted with all of them by 5.1. In a way I'm holding off a bit since the rep will go faster when that happens though (on the other hand they are adding a new daily grind).

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I've been saying. You don't have to max your dailies every single day to maintain or progress.

Never burned out because that's how I've been doing my dailies from the start. This is exactly what everyone arguing in those "Dailies are awful" topics are saying, the quests are not mandatory and actually feel like decent content when you're not imposing this artificial need upon yourself to get them all done every single day. Grinding all the rep asap doesn't even help gearing much either, since you're limited by valor not rep.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This is what I've been saying. You don't have to max your dailies every single day to maintain or progress.
    That's arguable. The reward system and routing everything to dailies in the end is still super shitty. Ideally, the individual activities would all provide rewards, not currency that can only be used when you grind rep with dailies.

You have to sacrifice being at the top of your game, being competitive, and generally not approaching the game like they have hammered into our heads since the beginning. While I personally have come to a place of zen with this, it's pretty shallow to demand that of anyone else. (not speaking to you personally)

I haven't even done any dailies, beside the 3 times I had to for my cloud serpent, and I wish I hadn't skipped them all because I missed out feeling like I raised my mount as it took me about 24 hours to go from neutral to exalted. I'm now at 463 i level with a few 476s and 1 496.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Elrith/simple

They are a choice, meant to be something to do when you feel like it. The idea they are mandatory is a joke, and your guild is a joke if they're making you do them now.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:34 PM ----------

I don't see why they are any more mandatory a grind than the Hodir rep or the Firelands rep.

I find all professions to be a dull grind, so I don't see why doing dailies for a recipe is worse than grinding cooking or enchanting in the first place.
    Last edited by Yig; 2012-11-05 at 08:33 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Same here since I've dinged exalted with GL. I'll do some dailies on a whim but really I just enjoy playing alts when I'm not raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    after leveling up 3-90s, and working on a 4th and 5th simultaneously, i made a conscious effort to avoid dailies for as long as i could. i spent the 6-7 months prior to MoP going live taking a break from WoW and in the month before MoP, i came back renewed and grinded through all the rep i could for achievs/mounts/etc., but got burned out on dailies again. now that im gonna start raiding soon, ive just started the rep grind again, but made an effort to just do the dailies i feel like in order to avoid burnout again, as ive noticed some guildies who raced to 90, then grinded dailies for their cloud serpents no longer even log, except for raiding.

Deleted
    To be honest I stopped them at revered lotus & klaxxi, i have quite a lot of vp items & raid drop epics forming total ilvl of 482. Only blue items still left are weapon (which isn't available outside of raids anyway) and one trinket but i'll get that elegon trinket some day, be it from raid drop or from coin (it's damn good one, normal ofc, not talking bout raid finder version). Now i just do some quests here and there, as long as it isn't enforced 2-3 hour grind per day I'm fine with it. Exalted rewards are vanity stuff only, I can max them whenever I decide i want. And 5.1 patch only adds 1 more faction with 496 ivl rewards, one is completely bearable. As long as there won't be too many gathering quests, these are real pain on my full server. Currently I'm raiding hardcore progression mode (5-7 raids per week) so I don't really have time for vanity stuff but when the content is on farm and time taken to clear a raid greatly decreases I'll do them.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2012-11-05 at 09:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up weeks ago. I told my guild Im not doing anymore. I got my Klaxxi neck and Golden Lotus bits thats enough. Was far to much for me even at that. Get my gear from raids so dont see the issue.

Now I just plant my songbells and be on my way. Dailies can die in a fire.

Problem is without doing EVERY daily, I have to run dungeons. Valor rewards are so measly -.-

Deleted
    People QQ about valor cap being such a grind.
    People QQ about WoW not being Vanilla anymore, all you really did there is grinding.

Oh the irony.

I quit WoW because of the dailies, i just did nothing else in the game, did every quest in Pandaria, kill this 12 times, kill that 12, collect 20 teeth (with a 0.5 drop chance) oh yeah. Great storyline, but i don't like the way they had to do the quests/dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    What burnout? still doing every possible daily I need from factions that aren't already exalted since the day 1 of 90.
    ^I've been doing them since my quest log allowed me to pick all the dailies of a zone. Now that i'm almost done (need only Shado-pan and August Celestial) i'll never have to do them again. NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's arguable. The reward system and routing everything to dailies in the end is still super shitty. Ideally, the individual activities would all provide rewards, not currency that can only be used when you grind rep with dailies.

You have to sacrifice being at the top of your game, being competitive, and generally not approaching the game like they have hammered into our heads since the beginning. While I personally have come to a place of zen with this, it's pretty shallow to demand that of anyone else. (not speaking to you personally)
    No, it's not arguable. Dailies are optional, valor point gear is optional. If you were truly competitive and at the top of your game, you'd already be decked out in heroic MSV gear and you'd laugh at people doing dailies.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by klorx View Post
    People QQ about valor cap being such a grind.
    People QQ about WoW not being Vanilla anymore, all you really did there is grinding.

Oh the irony.

I quit WoW because of the dailies, i just did nothing else in the game, did every quest in Pandaria, kill this 12 times, kill that 12, collect 20 teeth (with a 0.5 drop chance) oh yeah. Great storyline, but i don't like the way they had to do the quests/dailies.
    It's ironic that you mock people for QQing about the daily grind and then immediately QQ about the daily grind. Your post gave me a headache.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    I gave up weeks ago. I told my guild Im not doing anymore. I got my Klaxxi neck and Golden Lotus bits thats enough. Was far to much for me even at that. Get my gear from raids so dont see the issue.

Now I just plant my songbells and be on my way. Dailies can die in a fire.

Problem is without doing EVERY daily, I have to run dungeons. Valor rewards are so measly -.-
    Every daily? I don't think you meant that. That's a weird thing to say. I've valor capped every week since week one and I've never done the Anglers dailies and I've never done more than three factions in one day. Next week it will be much easier to valor cap. LFR x4 = 360 valor points, only need 640 more. One heroic 5 man a day = 80x7 = 560 valor points. Puts you a 920 total. At that point, you only need 80 more. Can run two extra 5 mans, can run a random scenario three days of that week, or you can do 16 daily quests during the week. Or, of course, run a non-LFR raid.

Deleted
    @LuminousAether the way people see 'QQ' is different for each individual. For instance smoking: there's people who find 1 sigarette a day much and there's people who find 20 sigarettes to 1 pack a day much.

I have read the words 'valor cap' and 'grinding' in 1 sentence way too much, so i see it as QQing.

I guess you find my post 'QQingly' because i'm giving a point, which some people agree with, by ranting about it.

I don't find it QQingly at all. It's just a matter of how see you the difference between QQing and giving a reason / ranting.