Deleted

My mage needs help.

Link to armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%B3x/advanced
    Tried second boss in Heart of Fear today, got an avarage dps between 45-50k dps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes I'm not getting any crit at all and most of the times not getting a good early burst. What should I do so I can pull out around 60-70k on most fights? Should I gem differently (just regemmed more to pure crit to see if it helps)? Do I have enough gear to pull that dps?

Please post what you think I should do, I'm really appreciating all forms of help.

learn how to use world of logs and upload and link a log - thats the best way to get help

From your armory though
    - you're below hit cap
    - second boss is a high movement fight you really should be taking scorch
    - ice barrier is awful temporal shield is for pros (and increases dps because its off the GCD)
    - make sure you're evocating at safe times, having to stop mid-evocate to run is really really bad for dps.
    - unglyph combustion to reduce RNG influence. the glyph is only really good for bosses with significant burn phases
    ^probably don't do that, actually
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2012-11-06 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    - you're below hit cap
    funny how people STILL don't realize exp=hit. He's actually 59 points over the hit cap, which is still bad as he could probably get closer to exact.
    - unglyph combustion to reduce RNG influence. the glyph is only really good for bosses with significant burn phases
    just no.

OP: read the fire Mage guide on these forums. The first thing I notice is you're way below the first haste plateau of 3056. I know SOME mages are choosing to ignore that and just stack crit, but I don't think that's the best way to go, personally. Also, you're missing leg enchant and belt buckle. I'd also replace the one pure int gem you have with int/crit, but that's a very minor thing. I'd be willing to bet it's more about playstyle than anything else. Do like the above poster said and post logs, it'll be a bigger help.

Just to emphasize it again, READ THE GUIDE ON THESE FORUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    funny how people STILL don't realize exp=hit. He's actually 59 points over the hit cap, which is still bad as he could probably get closer to exact.
    I realize expertise = hit. I did not realize that the armory doesnt factor both into its hit value like your spell hit in the character sheet does

What I said about the combustion glyph isnt incorrect, but you're right that it may not be advisable. Scratch that one then

Deleted
    - ice barrier is awful temporal shield is for pros (and increases dps because its off the GCD)
    This entirely depents on the fight. Learn to use IB properly and it's better in most cases.

What I said about the combustion glyph isnt incorrect, but you're right that it may not be advisable. Scratch that one then
    Glyphing it allows you to get twice as much out of a Combustion during Heroism, which you will be using on every fight and cannot cast two Combustions in unglyphed.
    It also tends to math out to slightly longer duration in a 3 or 6 minute fight, such as we are having now.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Glyphing it allows you to get twice as much out of a Combustion during Heroism, which you will be using on every fight and cannot cast two Combustions in unglyphed.
    It also tends to math out to slightly longer duration in a 3 or 6 minute fight, such as we are having now.
    True

It should have shorter total uptime in a 7 minute fight, for example, but (assuming you get a great combustion) heroism's bonus mitigates that difference. As I said though, unglyphed its much less RNG. With the AT/PoM method you have a very significant chance of getting a great combustion, but its still no guarantee. Unglyphed mitigates that to an extent. As for whether or not its worth it, on average no of course not, but in practice it may be something worth looking into. Personally I prefer stable damage to gambling on the maximum possible damage.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Friyn View Post
    This entirely depents on the fight. Learn to use IB properly and it's better in most cases.
    These are the scenarios where IB is better for dps
    - You are about to take a hit that would otherwise kill you and you do not have cauterize available (hint:this shouldn't ever happen)
    - You are taking very small very rapid hits for a significant duration where ice barrier's pushback prevention is saving you casting time (hint: this never happens)

In all other scenarios TS is a dps increase simply because its off the GCD
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2012-11-06 at 06:17 PM.

Titan Gas, Pheremones and Amber Shaper's Slime AOE Aura cause pulsing AOE damage over a significant time, even in the cases that do not cause spell pushback IB is still superior for absorbing this because it lasts for a minute or until it expires, rather than TS's incredibly short duration.

As they are both survival cooldowns, which one provides better DPS is not a particularly interesting debate because the answer is that to get the maximum DPS you wouldn't necessarily bother casting either.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Titan Gas, Pheremones and Amber Shaper's Slime AOE Aura cause pulsing AOE damage over a significant time, even in the cases that do not cause spell pushback IB is still superior for absorbing this because it lasts for a minute or until it expires, rather than TS's incredibly short duration.

As they are both survival cooldowns, which one provides better DPS is not a particularly interesting debate because the answer is that to get the maximum DPS you wouldn't necessarily bother casting either.
    titan gas will break your barrier in about 2 seconds, meaning that TS would have been just as much healing anyway. Yes TS's duration is very short and takes some skill to use but once you've internalized the ability and its uses on a fight-by-fight basis it should be far stronger than IB

Being an effective raid member isnt JUST about dps or JUST survivability, its about optimizing both. TS allows you to optimize your dps 100% because you dont spend a single GCD casting it

You can optimize your DPS, but I find that Barrier does more to help healers because they tend to heal me back up before TS has time to do much.

tell em not to :P
    same as I tell my healers not to pay too much attention to me on my druid since I heal so much with PS procs

tell em not to :P
    same as I tell my healers not to pay too much attention to me on my druid since I heal so much with PS procs
    Which is a very bad thing to do if your healers aint raiding at top level.. Sure healers can see you having the heal on your, but still its a 6 second heal which might heal something silly like 75% of your hp, now should they leave you at 25-50% for the first 2 seconds to avoid you getting owned by random damage that will happen in heroic raids, prolly not.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Which is a very bad thing to do if your healers aint raiding at top level.. Sure healers can see you having the heal on your, but still its a 6 second heal which might heal something silly like 75% of your hp, now should they leave you at 25-50% for the first 2 seconds to avoid you getting owned by random damage that will happen in heroic raids, prolly not.
    depends on the fight, obviously with random incidental raid damage yes you're correct and I'm not really familiar with the heroic encounters so I can't speak to that, but on most of the normals its quite viable