is ele really that bad for PvP? (no bads plz)

Are ele shammys really that bad or are bads just bad at playing?
    from what I see, we get ridiculous amounts of free LvBs from mastery and the talent, even though the dmg might be low, yes sure ascendance is cc'able, but don't pop it in the middle of the arena with 3 ppl on you. put out pressure, cc, then pop it near a pole, then come out to burst, and don't LET them cc it out.
    as for the stun totem, people are bitching about the 5 second cast time.. well.. pop it early then port it near the person(s) you want to cc 4 seconds later?

Yes, I know that survivability sucks, but its always been that way; you need to LOS and cc

I don't really understand the point of this but i'd thought i'd post as I doubt anyone else will (especially seeing how obnoxious your thread title is).
    Ele has low survivability in comparison with every other caster in this game. Go check out one of the many, many other more sophisticated threads for detailed explanation and discussions.
    Are they really that bad for PvP? Does PvP mean Arena? RBGS? WPVP? "(no bads plz)" -just wow.

The class is only as good as the user.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lap View Post
    I don't really understand the point of this but i'd thought i'd post as I doubt anyone else will (especially seeing how obnoxious your thread title is).
    Ele has low survivability in comparison with every other caster in this game. Go check out one of the many, many other more sophisticated threads for detailed explanation and discussions.
    Are they really that bad for PvP? Does PvP mean Arena? RBGS? WPVP? "(no bads plz)" -just wow.
    this is wow. PvP means arena lol.
    ele has always had low survivability in comparison to every other caster since, well, as long as i can remember. this doesn't make them unviable.

Quote Originally Posted by algroshaw View Post
    ele has always had low survivability in comparison to every other caster since, well, as long as i can remember. this doesn't make them unviable.
    There is too much that's wrong with this to even think about beginning to correct you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    I can agree with this guy... Ive seen some pretty shocking warriors mages and hunters... But then are just some expectional players from other classes that arent op
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry. What game are you playing? I just want to remind you that this forum is a WoW forum. I'm just making sure because your statement is definitely not directed to WoW.

Even Blizzard will tell you that's bullshit, especially for PvP. Their have been hardcore class advantages in arena since season 1 and there still is.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    From what I'm seeing...

Rank-1 level people are hitting around 2,3-2,5k rating as Ele as things are now.
    Make them play a "better spec" and they'd probably be a lot higher.

It's also a lot about how good our teammates are, obviously. If they can support you so that you can overcome Eles weaknesses and play to your strengths... Then yes, it's "viable".

What game are u playing? o_O

Deleted
    Haha, laughed out oud . Come on, we are wow characters, not a camera

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how he titled the thread "no bads" yet he's only posted 4 times here. I smell irony.

OT: I find resto to be far more fun in arena and BGs again. Way more so than in cata when I went ele all the time. Ele is good if you get left alone to hard cast, but if a melee is on you or you're getting spell locked you're pretty much completely useless. An ele shaman will always be one of my first targets because of that very reason.

I find the title stupid as well, "no badz" sounds like a leet arena player. If you want to be leet and pro, go to AJ. If you're not a bad you get your account and you'll get fewer responses from badz...

anyway on topic.

Compare cc, off healing, defensive cd's of ele with eg spriest.
    Elemental isn't that bad, but in the whole picture weaker than the other casters.

I find the lack of baseline defensive cd most annoying. And that healing surge has the same spell coefficient as resto's HS who has mastery and tidal waves.
    Our fast expensive heal (the only one we have) is worse than what other hybrids. And we have less defensive cd's. Also no dispell protection on FS which has 5sec cd and isn't spammable like the dot of other casters but as important for damage. I don't need the old dispell protection back, but just reset shock cd and give a free shock when FS gets dispelled. I find Ele really fun in bg's, but in arena, I'd just do resto in 2's and have already some pieces for enhance in 3's.

Deleted
    So not true... If it were player X with skill Y could do Z with class A B C and D, however in WoW even if the player is really skilled he/she can only do so much with one class, while he/she can do so much more with another. It's called class imbalance and it has always been the biggest factor in WoW. Whilst skill is definitely a huge factor, its strength quickly diminishes when you face opposition of equal skill and imbalance will play a MUCH larger role.

Elemental Shaman is incredibly weak in PvP, tried it throughout all of Wrath and a bit of Cata, then I finally gave up and switched to Warlock... I can do so much more even though I'm nowhere near OP (unlike Warr and BM hunter). Whenever I face an Ele sham it's basically a free kill, even as a hard caster which they are supposed to be strong against.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-11-06 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    So not true... If it were player X with skill Y could do Z with class A B C and D, however in WoW even if the player is really skilled he/she can only do so much with one class, while he/she can do so much more with another. It's called class imbalance and it has always been the biggest factor in WoW. Whilst skill is definitely a huge factor, its strength quickly diminishes when you face opposition of equal skill and imbalance will play a MUCH larger role.
    Its not class imbalance at all. Its called being good with a specific class. Each class works differently, therefore being good with say, resto shaman (as I am) doesn't mean I know anything about playing a disc priest or a holy pally. In fact I downright suck at those two classes/ specs.

Noone, and I mean NOONE is equally skilled with all classes and specs in this game. Its just not possible. When you've been playing one for 8 years and another for 2, you're just not as good at the one you've only played for 2. And even if you've played 2 for 8 years each, I doubt both of them have seen exactly the same amount of raid time and difficult situations that you had to think on your feet to survive or do the best you could and learn new tactics. Its just not feasable. Skill is more important than anything.

To sum it up for you Elemental shaman are weak in pvp and i could write you a book. The moment you can virtually do anything(ascendance) you will be cc'd or silenced rending you useless there on out. If you are pressured by any class you will not win(lets say their skill level is high with yours for this moment). Outside of cooldowns and being left alone you are impartial to any other dps class or ranged. Blizzard has yet to address this issue in years and continue to ignore it. Lightning bolts and lava burst damage outside of cooldowns is downright laughable(Wotlk it was ok)to where healers can just heal through your damage, or simply dispel flameshock...over and over again....yes even with int+pvp power gems. You have to hardcast to do anything at all and with the amount of control, burst, and cc's all the other classes have at a click of a button now its very difficult to survive and dps at the same time.

Moral is, if you want to pvp in bg's you can get by but be prepared to step away from your keyboard if pressured by melee as you wont be able to do anything. I highly suggest playing another class or go resto. There are going to be a few who disagree with me because they didnt cc a shaman in ascendance, or because they're not pressured and feel the class is ok which it clearly isnt.

Making an argument about offhealing is also a bad argument. Unless you have clearcasting up be prepared to lose tons of mana for minimal output healing. Did i forget we have to cast to heal and dont have one single HoT? The issue with offhealing is really on the other hybrids(priests spells and dots heal them along with their HoT in shadowform AND shield, and can get out of form and heal just as good if they somehow need too...druids can rejuv AND healing touch AND Tranq as boomkin AND have 15% damage reduction PASSIVE AND barskin as some examples of what i mean)

If you STILL don't believe me have a look here - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012669/
    See all the posts about ele damage sucking it up? most are towards pvp just click anyone and you will see everything i just said being repeated over and over again. I don't like putting my opinion on how to fix pvp on here because i constantly get bashed and flamed anyways. I always get pissed off mentioning this because of how ridiculously obvious it is that theres a problem and blizzard doesnt even acknowledge it...AT ALL yet continue to focus on everything else but shamans. Hell if they said we're aware of the shaman issues and working on a solution i would be happy. Yet we get no information at all, and no acknowledgement.(i follow the devs on twitter amongst checking mmo champion once a day)

I did a few bgs with some friends they were laughing at elemental shamans being nothing but a free kill. Seriously? I have a fire mage buddy who is having no issues whatsoever in bgs in 0 pvp gear. He got a few pieces and went 23-1. I would go into pve too but thats off subject on what we're talking about here(hes ahead in terms of dps with the same gear).

Alot of talents need reworking as well. Blizzard responded about lv45 talents in our tree needing some work and they're eyeing it when the expansion dropped. After that we have received no information at all or a sense of direction for the future of our talent trees. literally our first line of talents for suvivability is a joke. It's been outlined plenty of times on here and on the wow forums so i wont bring that up for the 900th time.

Your probably reading this wondering why the hell im even playing the class? Well for one i enjoy playing elemental shaman for fun. i like how the class is made up(even with the issues) and how it plays a little differently than just dots dots dots dots nuke fear fear fear. I've been playing ele for years so i have achievements..cooking and fishing leveled etc etc and i really don't feel like devoting effort to do the same on a completely different toon(i hate questing too). Although it has been tempting to do ive somehow still managed to wait it out while leveling other classes for when i get over the edge on tolerance.

One other thing.
    WHY DOES FROST SHOCK EXIST? PLEASE LORD get rid of the damn thing or find a use for it

Sorry for the wall of text. Just alot of frustration
    Last edited by Rawfury; 2012-11-06 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by algroshaw View Post
    Yes, but they used to make up for that in damage/lust. Now we have neither. Currently elemental does everything pretty okayish, while every other class is actually good at something, be it damage or crazy CC.