15+ Year Old Account

Talent question (already checked stickies for my question)

Before I get blasted or a thread locked for not reading the stickies, I did and my question was not answered there. The Sticky: [Rogue] Read Before Posting & Index thread is outdated with Cata information.

My question is what's the best general spec for assassination rogues? I just hit 90 and don't want to respec a second time. I have a completely unused second talent set I'm going to use for my spec. Thanks ahead of time for pointing me to my answer or answering my question.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know talents can be hot-swapped outside combat now right? Using tomes of the clear mind.

If you're seriously opposed to swapping them, though, I'll also go out on a limb and say you don't feint religiously... which only changes 1 option.

The only ones that really matter consistently (FOR PVE):

Shadow Focus (top +DPS)
    ---- (Combat Readiness if you find yourself tanking)
    Leeching Poison (free minor healing -- Elusiveness is often better for raiding, but requires you to actually feint -- some recommend cheat death occasionally)
    Shadowstep (many say prep, but if you're not swapping, time at target/easy out-of-damage >> extra mut/CoS every 5 minutes)
    ---- (Prey on the Weak situational DPS increase on stunnable targets)
    Anticipation (allows more consistent 5 CP finishers; less cost for making mistakes while learning and pressing CP gen buttons around cap, it's passive)

I'll see about generating an FAQ with pointers to places that already have a good breakdown on these types of questions.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-11-06 at 06:40 AM.

lvl 15: shadow focus. Subterfuge is good only for Sub.
    lvl 30: basically useless, but Combat readiness has some niche when there are fixate mechanics which don't require kiting
    lvl 45: i found leeching poisomn to translate most of the times into overhealing. Elusiveness is usually better since i found that i'm spamming feint in a lot of fights. For heroics until you have mastered them, cheat death is a godsend.
    lvl 60: Prep if you're against patchwerk, otherwise ShS is awesome.
    lvl 75: useless again, prey on the weak if you can stun something.
    lvl 90: Anticipation. Versatility is good if you need to switch a lot, but still not that good. ST is under study - still we aren't sure of it's effective power (but i don't think it's intended for it to be the main CP generator, and if it becomes, it will be nerfed).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    You haven't let us know what you are going to use the assassination spec for really. It is vital to be a flexible Rogue and adept your talents to the encounter which is (as Mugajak explained) now possible with Tome of the Clear Mind without a trainer nearby.

Also keep in mind it's vital to change/remove the glyph of Vendetta every time you can't dps your target for the full 30 seconds.