Thread: Green Party

Green Party

I'm one of those liberals who's disillusioned with Obama. At this point, I refuse to back either main stream candidate. Looking at the Green party, they represent many things I do agree with (though they do go too far for me in one aspect). I think they actually represent many things most liberals in this country agree with - at least far more so than the dems these days. There's one thing that stops me from taking them seriously though - if you go to any site of theirs, including the one about their presidential candidate, the top or second from the top item is always legalizing marijuana. I'm not opposed to legalization. However, imo, that should be so far down the ladder of what's important it shouldn't even make the front page. Anyone think the Green party might actually do notably better if they back-burnered that issue?

No, I don't.

I support many of their policies but they certainly aren't ready for the presidency. I would love to see a couple greens in Congress, however, and voted that way for my local legislature.

(Im in a very D state)

15+ Year Old Account
    Even though I think it makes good sense, in terms of allocation of law-enforcement and human resources, to not be arresting and jailing people for smoking marijuana, it does make them seem a little more of a hippie party, yes.

Legalization of small amounts of pot are on the ballot in CO/OR/WA, with pretty widespread support. It may not be something that's a fringe issue for much longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    No, I don't.

I support many of their policies but they certainly aren't ready for the presidency. I would love to see a couple greens in Congress, however, and voted that way for my local legislature.

(Im in a very D state)
    I am pretty much in the same position, but with the way we handle our primaries, it is unlikely that anyone outside the two main parties will be on the ballot for local elections.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I am pretty much in the same position, but with the way we handle our primaries, it is unlikely that anyone outside the two main parties will be on the ballot for local elections.
    We had Green for a couple, D all the way down, Lib most of the way down, then R most of the way down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    We had Green for a couple, D all the way down, Lib most of the way down, then R most of the way down.
    Top two primaries, none on my ballot.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Top two primaries, none on my ballot.
    There was actually space for like 4 more places on the machines here that weren't used. I could have voted Jill Stein or Gary Johnson, they were both on the ballot.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree. The Green Party has a lot of reason to dislike cruelty, with its liberal and environmentalist outlook. It seems perfectly natural that it would also oppose the cruelty in denying humans medical treatments that reduce suffering. Also the drug laws are often called "the war on drugs" by both sides of the issue. It feels appropriate to me that people who value peace would take serious issue with the drug laws. They have many reasons to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsker View Post
    I don't agree. The Green Party has a lot of reason to dislike cruelty, with its liberal and environmentalist outlook. It seems perfectly natural that it would also oppose the cruelty in denying humans medical treatments that reduce suffering. Also the drug laws are often called "the war on drugs" by both sides of the issue. It feels appropriate to me that people who value peace would take serious issue with the drug laws. They have many reasons to do so.
    They are not pushing specifically for medical treatment, which is already allowed in places. They're pushing for free flow of the drug. The question is, given issues like corporate bailouts, military expeditions in Afghanistan and other places, corporate malfeasance, and perhaps most importantly the situation with health care and poverty in this country, should the legalization of weed, even for medicinal purposes, really make it anywhere onto the visible portion of the platform, much less the top tier?

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    They are not pushing specifically for medical treatment, which is already allowed in places. They're pushing for free flow of the drug. The question is, given issues like corporate bailouts, military expeditions in Afghanistan and other places, corporate malfeasance, and perhaps most importantly the situation with health care and poverty in this country, should the legalization of weed, even for medicinal purposes, really make it anywhere onto the visible portion of the platform, much less the top tier?
    Have you looked at the Green Parties Website, or Jill Stein's listed Platform? Ending the war on drugs is far down on the list of things that she has as priorities.

Well Legalizing marijuana is one of the reasons why they call themselves the "Green" Party. That or something to do with the environment. . .

However, ending the prohibition on marijuana would illeviate some problems in the country. Farmers will finally be able to grow hemp, which would allow for them to sidestep buying rope. It would let a lot of decent non-violent people to be released from prisons.

Ending the war on drugs would help to as this only makes punishment for holding drugs more severe than the penalties should have ever been. It would also reduce funding for most police forces and would end the DEA and perhaps even ATF. Thus would be a large tax break to US citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Well Legalizing marijuana is one of the reasons why they call themselves the "Green" Party. That or something to do with the environment. . .
    However, ending the prohibition on marijuana would illeviate some problems in the country. Farmers will finally be able to grow hemp, which would allow for them to sidestep buying rope. It would let a lot of decent non-violent people to be released from prisons.
    Ending the war on drugs would help to as this only makes punishment for holding drugs more severe than the penalties should have ever been.
    They call themselves the Green Party because they believe in promoting green businesses and protecting nature. It is a major foundation for a lot of their policies, including economic and healthcare.

Going Libertarian myself.

Though I could never side with the green party because quite honestly I don't care what type of world we leave for our great grandchildren just as we have to deal with the problems brought on by our ancestors.

Besides leaving them with a steaming pile of crap should be enough motivation for them to do something about it and if not ..... sucks for them

Don't get me wrong even though I don't give a dam about nature or some spotted owls I don't hate them I just won't give up any of my freedoms to protect them as my survival of the fittest mentality outweighs that of my own morality.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 07:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post

Ending the war on drugs would help to as this only makes punishment for holding drugs more severe than the penalties should have ever been. It would also reduce funding for most police forces and would end the DEA and perhaps even ATF. Thus would be a large tax break to US citizens.
    Everything you said might be true but at the end of the day their is another truth which you simply cannot deny.

Don't get me wrong stoners have jobs and they work hard at those jobs but they pretty much spend the rest of their time sitting on their asses killing brain cells indulging in a mindless hobby that requires no movement whatsoever.

That being said stoners are also very innovative though most people don't realize it because procrastination is king in the world of the stoner thus most never act on the idea's because of the effort required to bring those idea;s to life and end up forgetting about them.
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-11-06 at 03:23 PM.

I am in the same boat as the OP.

imo the Green Party is not concerned with providing alternatives to problems they see, only ending their problems leaving gaping holes where they once were. Case in point is their approach towards energy. They'd happily shutdown every coal plant in the country but do this without (at least in their rhetoric) pushing hard and investing in things like Solar and Wind infrastructure as a replacement that's cost effective and has the same output. This mentality is no productive; while getting away from coal would be great, since it's an archaic and filthy source of power, they don't seem to get that the way to defeat them is to build alternative power stations and have them not only be cheaper and more reliable than coal, but also outshine its output and that requires sizable investment in research, training, and development (and investment is a bad word for them). Not being able to understand this and not having much vision is why they aren't a good party at all.

Farmers will finally be able to grow hemp, which would allow for them to sidestep buying rope
    Synthetics are mass produced, cheaper to make, faster to make and stronger than hemp ropes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    [Greens would] happily shutdown every coal plant in the country but do this without (at least in their rhetoric) pushing hard and investing in things like Solar and Wind infrastructure as a replacement that's cost effective and has the same output. This mentality is no productive; while getting away from coal would be great, since it's an archaic and filthy source of power, they don't seem to get that the way to defeat them is to build alternative power stations and have them not only be cheaper and more reliable than coal, but also outshine its output and that requires sizable investment in research, training, and development (and investment is a bad word for them).
    That may be the feeling you get from rhetoric you've heard from Greens, but their platform does indeed recognize that change from current energy policy to a sustainable architecture needs to happen incrementally in places to avoid economic shock (though with a decisive, drastic aim, they don't mince words saying it's a huge problem), and suggests many specific paths and in-place models towards the encouragement of renewables, including research and investment.

I don't deny that if they magically had control of government, the result would likely involve some immediate national pain and sacrifice. Their argument would be that continuing all-of-the-above as the two parties in control advocate only delays that pain. I think most people that believe that carbon emissions are changing Earth's climate know this deep down, but as a society, we're already treating it as inevitable exactly because of the amount of change required.

I vote for the soylent green party. They'll start with the liberal alarmists.