need help with a raider, pick him apart!

Hey guys looking for some feedback from some boomies out there.

We are a 10m normal raiding guild. We raid two nights a week and have been struggling to get complete guild runs so it’s slowing our progression quite a bit (4/6n). This week we’ll be the first that we have a full 10m guild run. Hopefully we get Elegon down this week.

Ok, so our boomy is a little frustrated with his dps. His gear is on par with our other casters yet he seems to be low on almost all the fights. The WOL I link below he had all the gear he’s wearing now, considering that his gear is better than mine I find it hard to believe that it’s the class and not his performance.

Please keep feedback constructive, this guy is a RL friend and we want him to improve. He does great with raid mechanics so if we can get a bit more dps out of him then we’ll be better off. Feel free to look up any of our logs, he has been there for most of the runs.

Armory
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...oggin/advanced

WOL
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2...?s=2266&e=2885

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT - I wanted to add that ive never played boomy so i can't realyl tear his WOL apart. I can see some spells are being casted more than others but when I talk to my boomy he says that its a proc based spell to cast. Which i guess crit helps get more procs... dunno.
    Last edited by Mazar; 2012-11-06 at 04:21 PM.

A good suggestion would be to head over to Elitistjerks.com, check their forums for help on gear, specc and rotation, run through all details again and dont skip anything ^^ and make sure that he does the right rotation.
    Thats always a good start

Well, one thing is that he isnt reaching his 5273 Haste cap, yet he is still going for haste. Im fairly certain that if you cant reach the cap, you are supposed to go with Crit > Haste > Mastery. So since he isnt reaching that cap, Crit will net him more overall DPS.

Hes not reaching it with gems, even, so I would regem / reforge for a crit focused spec until he gets something like the Elegon trinket.
    Last edited by moveth; 2012-11-06 at 04:23 PM.

Sunfire dot only has 84% uptime on Spirit Kings, and He only cast 32 Starsurges over a 10 minute fight. Even without them being automatically reset he missed out on at least 8 of them.

Looking at Feng his uptime seems ever worse, in the 80's on both Dots. Only 21/28 Possible Starsurges.

Just some things I noticed that are counter intuitive to guides that I have read, but I do not play a Boomkin currently, so take it with a grain of salt and compare to other resources.

Quote Originally Posted by OJntoast View Post
    Sunfire dot only has 84% uptime on Spirit Kings, and He only cast 32 Starsurges over a 10 minute fight. Even without them being automatically reset he missed out on at least 8 of them.

Looking at Feng his uptime seems ever worse, in the 80's on both Dots. Only 21/28 Possible Starsurges.

Just some things I noticed that are counter intuitive to guides that I have read, but I do not play a Boomkin currently, so take it with a grain of salt and compare to other resources.
    The starsurges here are a good thing for him to work on. Those should be only ever be delayed if you are 1 cast from an eclipse. However, with dots, they are not reapplying. apply them once per eclipse and don't waste GCD's reapplying them.

The starsurge tip was a good catch that I missed, though.

Thanks guys, Ima have him read this thread. Keep the tips coming!

Wish I knew more about boomies to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by OJntoast View Post

Looking at his Armory:

He is going full Haste even though he can't reach the cap. Tell him to reforge all crit until he can reach the cap (5273) and then pour everything into hit.
    He isn't hit capped. I suggest getting an addon like ReforgeLite that will do all the reforging for you.
    Is he really using Soul of the Forest over Incarnation? Realsies?

Looking at your Spirit Kings kill on WoL:

He used Celestial Alignment once and Nature's Vigil twice. It's a 10 minute fight. 3 minute CD that he should be using at the start of the fight and everytime it is up. He should be using CA and Nature's Vigil three times during that fight. He should also be pairing it with Incarnation, which he chooses Soul of the Forest over it for some reason.

Something minor I saw was that he didn't pre-pot, which I'm going to go ahead and assume you guys are doing progression raids and so he should be, specially with the incredible amount of burst we do in the first 30-45 seconds of any fight.

His Dot hit counts are way too high. It's a single target fight so his dot's should not be his 1st and 2nd damage done. He might be moving too much and/or just spamming moonfire/starfire. Starfire/Starsurge should probably be the 1/2 damage done for this fight. He cast 81 Moonfire's and 55 Sunfires, We did this fight last night and I cast 26 Sunfire/27 Moonfire. I'm not sure why he is casting Moonfire so much. That number should really be much closer seeing how the debuffs have similar duration and should both be cast at the same time when they fall off.

This is my WoL from last night when we did Spirit Kings:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/g...3/?s=355&e=710

He can take a look and just compare numbers if he likes.

Deleted
    It's not only the starsurge issue, it is his sunfire uptime. Timing of cd's problaly, cause the ammount of uses is off with the length of the fight, also the damage he does while they are up must be below par. Maybe he is clipping starfall's or something with opening? But even more concerning is 39 mushroom hits!!! WTF? There damage has been nerfed and it is not even worth the gcd's it cost to place and detonate them.

Also why SotF, Incarnate is much better talent for dps atm for him. I would advice him to use his JC gems for haste atm, because he is not reaching his hastecap. This will increase his dps more then the extra intellect. Also not dps related, why glyph of innervate? As a moonkin you are rarely if ever oom, stampede is better for raid utility plus he stays in moonkin during stampede so he can keep on dpsing.

Let him read one proper moonkin guide, and he will be much better if he follows it. Elitistjerkist or something.

Not sure at what point, iLvl-wise, that Soul of the Forest is better than Incarnation (I'm sure someone on EJ has done the math), but you might want to have him swap out SotF for Incarnation. Even if it's just on a test dummy, that'll be an easy way to potentially increase his DPS.

One fairly worrying thing I noticed from the logs is he's only using Celestial Alignment once. And that's not just because the fight isn't long enough; every attempt and kill over the 3 min CD on Celestial Alignment only had him using it the once. On the Spirits Kings kill (over 10 minutes) that's 2 wasted increases in DPS minimum.

WOW, thanks for the break down guys.

Just by looking at the logs i see things are wrong. For instance, his top damage skill was his dots (moonfire/sunfire) on a fight that is 90% of the time single target (Spirit Kings). That tells me hes struggling with movement, cuz when we're moving the only thing we can do really is spam the (ideally eclipsed) dot.

Also, he used mushrooms a few times... is he trying to break maddening shout with that? Dont see why he would use that for any other reason...

I wanted to say thanks again guys. I spoke with our boomy last night and a lot of what you guys mentioned he kinda knew. I guess he needed a little push to impliment some of the changes from MOP.

many thanks!