WoW windowed fullscreen mode Windows 8

/// EDIT ///

I FINALLY fixed it!

Apperantly the integrated option from Windows 8 to enable the taskbar on all Monitors is bugged or just too stupid to handle this correctly. Here is what I did.

- Disabled the option to show the taskbar on all monitors from Windows 8
    - Installed Ultramon
    - Enabled the SmartTaskbar from it

And now everything works! Seems like the SmartTaskbar from Ultramon (Which is a option from Ultramon to show a taskbar on all monitors) is better than the Windows 8 standard option and can handle everything correct.

Thanks for your input!

---

Hey!

I finally decided to make the jump to Windows 8 for 15$ and it's working really really great for me - I'm mostly ignoring the Metro part of the new OS, added myself a start button on the desktop and it seems to be really good.

So far I have only one problem. It's when I play World of Warcraft in windowed fullscreen mode. I'm running a dual-monitor setup, on Windows 7, I could quickly alt-tab to any other program (even if it was on the second monitor) and the taskbar showed up in front of my WoW.

Now, with Windows 8, the taskbar doesn't show up if you alt-tab to a program that is on the second screen and not on the main-wow-screen. I used the alt-tab to quickly get to my start button and my pinned programs on my taskbar, which was very comfortable for me.

Right now, in order to get the taskbar on my main screen when I'm playing WoW, I have to press my windows button on my keyboard, and since I'm using a Steelseries 6gv2 I only have the right windows key and it's really not comfortable at all.

I already thought about remapping another key (for example capslock) to work as my windows key, but that would be one of my last solutions.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem and have found a solution yet?

Oh, and please no "Just install Windows 7 again, Windows 8 is only for Tablets" replys. Thanks.

Regards
    Last edited by Bender16; 2012-11-08 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender16 View Post
    Hey!

... snip....

So I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem and have found a solution yet?
    I can't test this out as I am not with my Windows 8 box at the moment, but I *think* you can set the task-bar to behave the way you want.

Check out the "Multi-monitor taskbar options" section of this article:

blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

Where I am going with this is that if your main task-bar, on the window in which WoW is playing, is set to have icons for all applications, it should trigger when alt-tabbing to that application (again, haven't tested).

P.S. Got a good laugh out of your tablet comment.

Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    I can't test this out as I am not with my Windows 8 box at the moment, but I *think* you can set the task-bar to behave the way you want.

Check out the "Multi-monitor taskbar options" section of this article:

blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

Where I am going with this is that if your main task-bar, on the window in which WoW is playing, is set to have icons for all applications, it should trigger when alt-tabbing to that application (again, haven't tested).

P.S. Got a good laugh out of your tablet comment.

Great link with good information about multi monitors on Windows 8, thanks!

I just tried the option that the main taskbar has icons for all applications, sadly the taskbar doesn't show up even with this option on. The icons for all applications are on the main taskbar, but when I alt-tab switch to my, lets say Skype, on my second monitor, the taskbar on my WoW screen doesn't show up.

Really strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender16 View Post
    Great link with good information about multi monitors on Windows 8, thanks!

I just tried the option that the main taskbar has icons for all applications, sadly the taskbar doesn't show up even with this option on. The icons for all applications are on the main taskbar, but when I alt-tab switch to my, lets say Skype, on my second monitor, the taskbar on my WoW screen doesn't show up.

Really strange.
    Huh - bummer. Any different result if you shut off the taskbar on the second monitor? (i.e. make it so you only have the traditional taskbar on the main monitor?). This may not be your end goal, but now you have me interested .
    Last edited by voxnor; 2012-11-06 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Clearing up my question

Just tried disabling the "taskbar on all monitors" option.

It -kinda- works with this option.

This is what's happening: If I switch from my WoW on screen 1 to my fullscreen chrome on screen 2 it does show the taskbar on screen 1. However, if Chrome isn't maximized or if I switch to Skype (or any other application) , it doesn't show the taskbar.

This is really, really strange and I really have no Idea how to fix it, lol.

/// EDIT ///

I FINALLY fixed it!

Apperantly the integrated option from Windows 8 to enable the taskbar on all Monitors is bugged or just too stupid to handle this correctly. Here is what I did.

- Disabled the option to show the taskbar on all monitors from Windows 8
    - Installed Ultramon
    - Enabled the SmartTaskbar from it

And now everything works! Seems like the SmartTaskbar from Ultramon (Which is a option from Ultramon to show a taskbar on all monitors) is better than the Windows 8 standard option and can handle everything correct.

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Bender16; 2012-11-08 at 05:43 PM.