Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

What's stopping the United States from splitting...

What's stopping the US from splitting into 2 seperate countries. One favoring conservative views and another half being the liberal side. Each side with seperate views rules everything. Is something like this even possible?

Because there are conservative and liberal people in all the states, it's not like they're all grouped up in one half of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Not really. Democrats tend to do well in the coastal states, while the Republicans do well in the more rural states. It would make a pretty odd two countries to have one split in half by the other.

America is only a couple 100 years old. (Started Roughly 1776). Which means we are a VERY young country, with no history (Compared to european & other nations).

We could very easily have 1 or more civil wars before we solidify into something more stable.

the fact that a majority of the GOP states need DEM state money while the Democrats aren't idealogically opposed to working together?

Probably because that split would involve cutting the country down the middle with the "liberal nation" bordering the "conservative nation" on the west and east.

At least the new country could be called something catchy like "Flyoveria"

Quote Originally Posted by Razkul View Post
    What's stopping the US from splitting into 2 seperate countries. One favoring conservative views and another half being the liberal side. Each side with seperate views rules everything. Is something like this even possible?
    Because it was tried once and it failed miserably.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of things. Namely being there is no reason at all for the United States to split. People have opposing viewpoints, but notice the lack of violence in the US over politics besides places like, the Middle East. Or India. Or sub-saharan Africa.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Razkul View Post
    Have you heard about RFN and NRD? No? Then you should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it is no longer 1860 and we are not nearly as polarized as we were then, nor are we so neatly split into 2 regions. Plus, it happened once and didnt last long and is now illegal.

Honestly, I've wondered it myself. America is not much smaller than Europe, in terms of land mass (and I think the populations were pretty close as well, but I don't remember). Consider that Europe is made up of 50 countries (according to Wikipedia), and there are 50 states in the Unites States. With the way this country has gone, I wouldn't hate it, but it is also not realistic.

Who would be responsible for the debt? Would there be a new currency? Would there be a change in government for either country? The United States is simply too large, developed, and important to the world to do this. No, I'm not saying the United States is the best or anything (I'm an American), I'm just saying that the influence of things like the American economy and our political leaders is greater than that of a third-world country.

A split of this country would potentially cause mass panic with the global economy. Imagine if the U.S. lost half of its population and tax revenue, but kept the debt? It would be an insurmountable interest total ALONE, and the American economy would ruin what was left of the nation.

A fun thing, though, would be to split the liberals and conservatives (With independents choosing their sides), split the debt, letting each have a new election to choose a new President, then see whose economy is in a better place in 20 years.

I doubt a civil war would erupt if it happened cause the military is quite evenly stretched in both red and blue states plus a civil war would devastate the whole country imagine abrams tanks going up against each other and having nukes hit atlanta and new york

I guess its because the states need each other to support each other the hillbilly governors can chirp all they want about sucession but they know they need the US to survive otherwise really poor states would sink into 2rd world status overnight without federal help

1. Constitutional law prevents this.
    2. OP is ignorant
    3. the other idiots that posted above are idiots too.
    4. If you are not American, then shove your opinion. If you are then vote or shut up because I don't want to hear your whining unless you can and do vote.
    5. This is unpaid political commentary sponsored by a US Citizen and the rest of you rpikers can suck it

Please, don't flame and post constructively, thank you.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-06 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Imagine if the U.S. lost half of its population and tax revenue, but kept the debt? It would be an insurmountable interest total ALONE, and the American economy would ruin what was left of the nation.
    Even without a split, it will be insanely difficult to pay off the debt. I think we will see America in ruin regardless. I think it will be much worse than Greece if this keeps up any longer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
    1. Constitutional law prevents this.
    2. OP is ignorant
    3. the other idiots that posted above are idiots too.
    4. If you are not American, then shove your opinion. If you are then vote or shut up because I don't want to hear your whining unless you can and do vote.
    5. This is unpaid political commentary sponsored by a US Citizen and the rest of you rpikers can suck it
    And THAT is why we mock Americans.

Don't flame, thank you.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-06 at 07:14 PM.

lol sounds like trying to split pakistan and india apart when they got split
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

We aren't divided enough to really split. If all of a sudden we split into 2 countries, the 2 countries would be exactly the same because most people aren't going to move from say California to Texas just because they are Republican. Most states, counties even, have less than a 60% advantage for the majority party, it would be a complete hassle for most people.
    X

Because the red states are reliant on the economic power of the blue states to pay for their roads and the military project welfare they receive. And the blue states enjoy eating, and the red states produce the majority of the food we enjoy.

Would we be better off if everyone in the red states realized that their states get more from the federal government than they pay in and are, in large part, on some form of state welfare subsidized by the high population blue states? And in reverse, if the blue states would be a little more respectful of who literally puts the majority of food on our plates. Yeah, that would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFurry View Post
    And THAT is why we mock Americans.

Don't flame, thank you.
    You do realize that he doesn't speak for ALL of us, right?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Assuming that splitting is even possible it would interesting to see how well each side would do.