Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Heals are a huge difference which should not be overlooked.
    shadow priests can heal (with glyph of dark binding), Warlocks can only self heal

anyway only Affliction Warlocks are really similar to Shadow Priests, because of the similarity of their spell mechanics, (DoTs+Channels) but Destruction locks are about as 'unlike' shadow priests as casters can get, and Demo Locks are pretty much unique.

Deleted
    Warlocks are Shadow Priests with pets.

wrong

shadow priests are affliction warlocks without pets and instead get meaningful burst damage and pressure.

However that advantage comes at the cost of being able to respec to being a healer for added variety, viability and PvP prowess.

Warlocks are more of demonic energy where as spriest is dark and shadow energy.

Aff may come close but still there are many things that separate the two classes.

Bullshit comparison. Rogues are warriors with stealth.

In fact, I would say that Shadowpriest are not "Shadow"-priests. Instead they are psychic warlocks. If you've shown me the shadow spec, i would definitely say its a warlock spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    In fact, I would say that Shadowpriest are not "Shadow"-priests. Instead they are psychic warlocks. If you've shown me the shadow spec, i would definitely say its a warlock spec.
    Not really. While you're right to say Shadow Priests use internal power or 'their mind' to fuel their spells, and are more centered on emotion; Warlocks look very much externally and toward physical sources of power in an apparently rather more dissosciated and pragmatic way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    The only thing that warlocks share with shadow priest is the that they both use shadow magic and that affliction warlocks and shadowpriest both use dots.

After that the similarities end
    Having a 90 Holy/Shadow Priest, & an 87 'Lock, Demo/Whatever I feel like playing as my Dungeon Spec, I'd have to agree with this statement. On paper they seem quite similar, but they play considerably differently.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO shadow is a lot like affliction. Difference being Shadow brings more group utility while affliction brings more damage (over time).

It really comes down to if you're willing to OS heal.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I have both, and as long as we talk about PVP in MoP (big joke btw): SP>>>>>>>>>Affliction. Survival, CC, burst, CDs: SP wins.

From what I've seen of PVE, it's closer. Still saw SP dominating with equal gear. SP is also easier to plan than affli, both in PVP and PVE. Less keys, less macros and less skills to keep track on. It makes it easier for your average player to perform better as SP.

Quote Originally Posted by clbembry View Post
    That may be a dumb statement, but it's probably because I don't know very much about World of Warcraft. From what I've seen though, it seems to be true. When it comes to PvP, what are the differences between the two classes?

Please do not make threads this way again, it often leads to class wars. Consider yourself warned.

go play demo, and rethink this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Not really. While you're right to say Shadow Priests use internal power or 'their mind' to fuel their spells, and are more centered on emotion; Warlocks look very much externally and toward physical sources of power in an apparently rather more dissosciated and pragmatic way.
    If that was the case, the Shadow spec should have had a class of its own. Warlocks involve dark powers and shadow priest powers are like that even if they are spiritual. The priest class has 2 specs that feel like a paladin, while the shadow spec is more of a psionic. I am not saying that the warlock class is the perfect match for the spec. I am implying that the shadow spec feels irrelevant to the priest class in every way.

Deleted
    Shadow priests use powers of "the dark side of Light" (like Empire does with the Force in star wars lol ) while warlocks use fel energy, control deamons, while shadow priests control people's mind (mind control, mind spike/blast/flay etc)
    that's my opinion on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that was the case, the Shadow spec should have had a class of its own. Warlocks involve dark powers and shadow priest powers are like that even if they are spiritual. The priest class has 2 specs that feel like a paladin, while the shadow spec is more of a psionic. I am not saying that the warlock class is the perfect match for the spec. I am implying that the shadow spec feels irrelevant to the priest class in every way.
    I disagree. Thematically, the three Priest specs draw inspiration from various religions, Holy is vaguely Christian, Disc used to be more vaguely Buddhist (albeit that is now more affirmed into Monks), while Shadow draws from Satanism (not the Devil worshipping representation from which Warlock's inspiration is drawn).

I disagree. Thematically, the three Priest specs draw inspiration from various religions, Holy is vaguely Christian, Disc used to be more vaguely Buddhist (albeit that is now more affirmed into Monks), while Shadow draws from Satanism (not the Devil worshipping representation from which Warlock's inspiration is drawn).
    If what you are saying is correct about Shadow then its like saying that you have to choose either to play something practically nice or something ideologically nice. Cause if someone wants to play a pure dark themed class, he goes for a warlock, but according to the way you put it, shadowpriest, as a sole dark spec of the priest class describes it much better. To sum up, if what you are saying is true, then there is a class development failure imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    If what you are saying is correct about Shadow then its like saying that you have to choose either to play something practically nice or something ideologically nice. Cause if someone wants to play a pure dark themed class, he goes for a warlock, but according to the way you put it, shadowpriest, as a sole dark spec of the priest class describes it much better. To sum up, if what you are saying is true, then there is a class development failure imo.
    Depends whether your intepretation of Good/Bad is defined by the tools themselves or the motivation behind their use. That ambiguity is, to me, a huge design success.

Depends whether your interpretation of Good/Bad is defined by the tools themselves or the motivation behind their use. That ambiguity is, to me, a huge design success.
    Indeed, any opinion is subjective. I am personally obsessed with dark-themed characters in games, but in the more emotional way. In terms of mechanics and settings, the only class matching this profile is the Warlock. According to your opinion, the Shadow theme as you describe it, overpowers the whole Warlock class theme in my point of view. Like what you've mentioned, the motivation plays a significant role in terms of roleplaying, rather than the actual tools.

10+ Year Old Account
    well all priests worhsip something

Nightelf priests worship Elune, a nocturnal goddess, to them shadow is not evil, shadow and light are just opposites like day and night, or full moon and new moon.

Troll Shadow Priests worship more chaotic and evil loa, something they have done for generations. that race has historically tolerated evil.

Foresaken Shadow Priests, having been cuttoff from the light directly have begun to worship 'the forgotten shadow,' Foresaken holy priests can't technically exist.

Tauren Priests reveer the sun, and Tauren shadow priests don't technically exist, or if they do they are simply heretical.

I assume human/Highelf/dwarf/Gnome shadow priest are essentially heretical, because the official religion of pink skinned races is that light=good, dark=bad

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 12:17 PM ----------

if i could go back in time and rewrite WoW from the beginning,
    I would make warlocks not all demon all the time but rather the three specializations would be:

Demonology:
    (1 of 5 Permanent pets [the current demon pets], demonic runes as secondary resource, fire based spells (Rain of Fire, incinerate, immolate, soul fire, fel flame), stacking buffs on the pet that are consumed to periodically empower your pet
    *Summary: a cross between a destro lock and an Unholy Death Knight, without the DoTs.

Necromancy :
    (Lots of little temporary pets [basically skeletons, instead of wild imps], necromantic energy as resource [just like demonic fury], Lich Form as toggle-able stance, frost and shadow based magic, Howling Blast in place of Hand of Gul'dan, Touch of the Grave instead of Touch of Chaos, Frozen Soul instead of Molten Core, Freeze Soul instead of Soul Fire)
    *summary: A demonology lock without a permanent pet, and frost/undead themed spells.

Witchcraft :
    (no pets, disease-type DoTs, DoT spreading via pestilence, Blood Boil, Death and Decay, fears, hexes, curses, banes, channeled fillers
    *summary: an affliction lock or shadow priest with Deathknight like AoE.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-11-15 at 05:33 PM.

Enjoying my shadowpriest more than my warlock main when he is specced Affliction, even as Destro sometimes. Demonology is the only saving grace of the spec. Shadowpriests are flying below the radar, people don't how how STRONG they are, even OP.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Enjoying my shadowpriest more than my warlock main when he is specced Affliction, even as Destro sometimes. Demonology is the only saving grace of the spec. Shadowpriests are flying below the radar, people don't how how STRONG they are, even OP.
    Shadow rotation seems so much more straightforward and nuke/DoT oriented without having that throttle that is MG.

The only downside I've found (my spriest is currently 87) is movement (ironically I think warlocks handle it much better, even as affliction), but idk if Halo at 90 will make it better. Oh, that, and warlocks are still a much better soloing class in general.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Shadowform and demon form share 1st place imo in terms of coolness.

I see Spriests as a Mind bender/illusionists, someone from the darkmoon faire (hence my Goblin Spriest RP). They attack by entering someones brain, by using shadow magic to blast their enemies and illusion tricks.

Warlocks I see as someone who took another path than mages. They try to sustain and manipulate fel energies by combining shadow and arcane magic. There pinnacle of power is the power to control a demon and in some cases, being one of them.

all by all, i like spriests more. with their mind boggling spells and shadowform. We have ascended!
    I feel simialr from an RP perspective.

Warlocks deal with Demonic and Hell energy whereas SP deal with the "evil" side of Holy (not so much as demons just...evil if it makes sense)