Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    The battery can be replaced fairly easily.
    oh, interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to the phone given the microSD-lessness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    oh, interesting. I haven't been paying much attention to the phone given the microSD-lessness.
    I find the lack of 4G/LTE support even more off-putting. If Google wants you to use their cloud services, why not include a faster antenna than 3G?

Anyway, regarding the battery:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...o_replace_acc/

Nope. No microSD card=not interested, no removable battery=even more not interested.
    Not having a microSD slot on a device with small storage like that IS stupid. To contrast that, the Lumia 920 (the phone I am getting) has 32 GB inside, so I am not worried about not having the SD slot. Oh, and then I have 25 GB on SkyDrive, so I have a total of 57 GB available to me on Wifi (I'll likely not touch SkyDrive on my regular plan, as it would be very data-intensive and I only plan to use a 200MB plan).

As for the battery, I don't care if mine is removable or not. I'm nothing close to a power user, so I shouldn't ever have battery issues.

Deleted
    Why do so many people see 4G as a MASSIVE let down? At the end of the day, you're paying an extra £120 ($180) just for faster internet, and it's price is why Google kept it out of the phone. You are getting a better-than-iPhone 5 phone for about, sorry, not about - HALF the price.
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2012-11-08 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I find the lack of 4G/LTE support even more off-putting. If Google wants you to use their cloud services, why not include a faster antenna than 3G?
    What's the point when practically every tower's backhaul can't even manage basic HSPA+ at full speed (21Mbps)? For example, here in the downtown, with all-bars signal, I get 1.2Mbps/278Kbps out of a supposedly 21Mbps/2.75Mbps network. The over-the-air bit is not your limiting factor here.

Also, current LTE deployment is a fucking mess. Different carriers use different frequency bands scattered all over the spectrum. Just in the USA and Canada, there are EIGHT different bands used for LTE. You'd need a (non-existant) octuple-band radio, or some kind of swappable radio module, or a different version of the phone for each carrier.
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-11-08 at 06:08 PM.

Deleted
    The UK's 4G prices are ludicrous, also between home and the office is like 20 mins, otherwise I'm on WiFi, so frankly, I couldn't give a rats arse about 4G/LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    Why do so many people see 4G as a MASSIVE let down? At the end of the day, you're paying an extra £120 ($180) just for faster internet, and it's price is why Google kept it out of the phone. You are getting a better-than-iPhone 5 phone for about, sorry, not about - HALF the price.
    It's the idea that you're paying for a 2012 phone and getting 2010 tech. IT's just like why people saw not having LTE in the iPhone 4S or NFC in the iPhone 5 as stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    It's the idea that you're paying for a 2012 phone and getting 2010 tech. IT's just like why people saw not having LTE in the iPhone 4S or NFC in the iPhone 5 as stupid.
    People saw not having NFC as stupid? Wow, most places near me don't even support that. And isn't NFC an Android thing? Isn't it called Android Beam?

People saw not having NFC as stupid? Wow, most places near me don't even support that. And isn't NFC an Android thing? Isn't it called Android Beam?
    Actually NFC is something allot of companies want to introduce (talking about banks etc. and not google).

Having NFC just adds more possibilities to the phone and allows companies to make different types of hardware (check the stuff Lumia 920 can do with all of it's feature's) plus a phone with NFC also means you can use your phone in a year or 2.

Frankly I'm surprised Apple is late with these kind of things (LTE and NFC), usually (with the macs at least) Apple is the first one to introduce stuff which you can't use but it is nice to have in a couple of years (thunderbolt for example better then USB but useless atm)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    It's not sold by carriers. Were any of its predecessors sold by carriers?

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 02:17 PM ----------

I REALLY hope you're joking. The Nexus 4 is $300 off-contract. That iPhone 4 you have, which is 2 years old, is STILL $50 off-contract on Apple's site.

Yeah, the brand-new Nexus 4 is cheaper than the 2-year-old phone you have now off-contract. So, again, I REALLY hope you're joking.
    I paid nothing for my iPhone 4, a friend gave me mine because he got a free upgrade to the 4S and it was only a few months old when I got it. And considering the price of cellphones in Canada, as well as plans, nothing here is cheap. Odds are Google jacks up the price if you are a Canadian customer, not to mention there are probably a whack of hoops you have to jump through to get the Nexus 4 on a plan because our providers are a bunch of anti-competition scumbags. Also, my iPhone 4 is 32GB, 300 dollars for a phone that pales in comparison for storage and lacks a memory card slot to increase it's capacity and purchase value, as well as not having LTE however at least the reasoning behind not having it is justified since a small sector of the cellphone user market has access to LTE services and not a whole lot of providers have it yet.

300 dollars off contract may be cheap, but it's still a lot of money for a lot of people in this world.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-11-08 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And isn't NFC an Android thing? Isn't it called Android Beam?
    No, NFC has existed since long before Android. The NFC forum was founded in 2004.

Android Beam is a specific application of NFC for peer-to-peer data exchange between Android devices.
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-11-08 at 09:50 PM.

It's stupid because they're doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of futureproofing their phones. One could argue they're leaving features out to get people to upgrade more frequently and spend more money. NFC isn't Android Beam, Android Beam is NFC (assuming that's the case, never heard of/looked into that myself).

NFC is what people use with applications like Google Wallet, where you can tap your phone to the device to pay for things. The tech is in Windows Phone devices. What ati87 meant by Nokia's features, I assume, if they have a wireless speaker coming out. With it, you place the phone on the speaker and it starts playing through the speaker. That is done through NFC.

I'm pretty sure that is also the technology used in the Galaxy S III to tap phones to send apps (you might have seen that in one of their commercials). That would mean it could probably be added into any device with NFC, really. It's not that NFC is a big deal as much as Apple is depriving its customers of commonplace technologies (LTE last year and NFC this year) and acting like it's not a big deal to swindle them like that. As I said, the joke of how "good" the Retina Display on the iPhone is is bad enough. It's not HD quality and it's not better than the Lumia 920 or the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, though I'm not sure on Android devices.

Nope. No microSD card=not interested, no removable battery=even more not interested.
    My opinion as well.

The only downside of the Nexus. Google, Microsoft and Apple want to push you to use their cloud services. Well I suppose at least Google doesn't rip you off for a few GB of storage to the same extent as the others.

I have this feeling they'll add LTE in a couple months after release, similar to what they did with the Nexus S, I only went to T-mobile because Nexus S was exclusive to t-mobile, and at that time, it did not have '4g'... then a couple months later, they added 4g and became Sprint exclusive... felt like a slap in the face...

Quote Originally Posted by Royals Ego View Post
    I have this feeling they'll add LTE in a couple months after release, similar to what they did with the Nexus S, I only went to T-mobile because Nexus S was exclusive to t-mobile, and at that time, it did not have '4g'... then a couple months later, they added 4g and became Sprint exclusive... felt like a slap in the face...
    I think they stuck with 3G because it made it easier to offer in pentaband use anywhere form. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    My opinion as well.

The only downside of the Nexus. Google, Microsoft and Apple want to push you to use their cloud services. Well I suppose at least Google doesn't rip you off for a few GB of storage to the same extent as the others.
    I got 25 GB free with SkyDrive. They gave away 25 GB until they decided to REALLY push it on people (read: once these "cloud" services started getting popular). IT was only then that it switched to 7 GB, and they even gave you a notice of multiple weeks (I am pretty sure) that they were going to keep giving away 25 GB until a certain date. I remember that because it was THE REASON I signed up for it--to get the 25 GB before it was gone.

They're not really pushing you to cloud services, though. They're giving you a free, limited experience, and if you actually need more than the 7 GB of SkyDrive that you get, then you probably were using these services when you were getting 25 GB anyway. The limited amount of space people get by default will probably cover 90% of the users or more.

Deleted
    Cant even get a goddamn Nexus 7 in Belgium. Damn thing is sold out everywhere.

Deleted
    Anyone think the Nexus is really thick? What's the reason for it?

That Quad core SnapDragon4 and Adreno 320 sure are tempting... but the reviews about the build quality aren't doing it justice.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone think the Nexus is really thick? What's the reason for it?
    9.1mm is thick? It's thinner than most of the iphones except 5.