Poll: OP's Fault or Not?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Happens to everyone at least once. Most of the time they miss nothing after that, but you'll never forget to check the doors again.
    Haha ya. I was annoyed with myself anyway after I found out for not making sure the door was locked, just wanted to see everyone's opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzerx View Post
    the first thing that comes to mind is

did maybe your friend steal the GPS?
    he knew it was there + he left the door open

don't trust anyone except yourself!
    Na. He's a good friend of mine who I've known for several years, and he doesn't drive anyway so he'd have no reason to take it.

This is not your fault or your friends fault. Just semantics and looking at the big picture. Why the bleep would you question responsibility of locking your door when in the first place strangers are not suppose to be stealing your personal items INSIDE your car. I'd drop it and not blame either and invest that energy into something useful.

"When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power."

Seems to fit here, learn your lesson to check that the car door is locked, don't 'blame' anyone and move on.

I say again, this seems like a rape analogy, is OP luring us into a trap?

"S/he was asking for it because s/he forgot to lock the doors/dressed slutty"

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Hello everyone. Today I found out that my car was broken into and someone had stolen the GPS to my car (which was hidden in the glovebox, other valuables are hidden in other spots). I ended up contacting my Dad today on the issue, and I told him how my doors were locked (except for the passenger door, which a friend of mine forgot to lock last night, nor am I blaming him), and that there was nothing sitting out of value.

He yelled at me, and said it was my fault for the theft because one of the doors was unlocked. So I'm posting this (along with a pole once I figure that out), people's opinions on whether it was my fault or not.
    It was your dads fault. He set these events in motion many years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your fault by extension because of your friends actions and your own failure to make up for them when it was your responsibility.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

I'm not trying to lure anyone into a trap. The thread was simply made to see everyone's opinion on it, I actually enjoy taking in constructive criticism and such (probably why I enjoy playing PVP related content, but that's another topic) which is part of the reason why I made it. Not really looking to blame anyone as I'll be making sure the doors are locked (all of them) in the future, but I do find it interesting seeing other people's view points.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    It was your dads fault. He set these events in motion many years ago.
    hahahahahaaa....you're a funny one.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's the thieves fault.

You didn't take the stuff so it's all on the thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe View Post
    This is not your fault or your friends fault. Just semantics and looking at the big picture. Why the bleep would you question responsibility of locking your door when in the first place strangers are not suppose to be stealing your personal items INSIDE your car. I'd drop it and not blame either and invest that energy into something useful.
    Its a passive aggressive response to his fathers attitude.

it the thief's fault for taking the items.
    locked door or not if someone wants your stuff they will get it

in this case since the door was unlocked you might have been saved the cost of replacing the window.

that's the silver lining

Hello everyone. Today I found out that my car was broken into and someone had stolen the GPS to my car (which was hidden in the glovebox, other valuables are hidden in other spots). I ended up contacting my Dad today on the issue, and I told him how my doors were locked (except for the passenger door, which a friend of mine forgot to lock last night, nor am I blaming him), and that there was nothing sitting out of value.

He yelled at me, and said it was my fault for the theft because one of the doors was unlocked. So I'm posting this (along with a pole once I figure that out), people's opinions on whether it was my fault or not.
    Should be a both choice.

It is your fault for not checking all doors on the car.
    It is the thieve's fault for being a douche and stealing something.

Since there isn't a both choice I chose you.
    Don't swet to much over it tho shit happens.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

I don't think so, but that's an interesting analogy to consider. I'd opinion that how you dress doesn't necessarily create opportunities for crime nor does it excuse them. A closer analogy might be did she make a mistake by cutting through that dark alley at 2 a.m.? And yes, in that case she made an error (a fault).

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone enters your property without permission, and your car is your property, and removes something of yours, then it doesn't matter if your property was locked or not. The fault is entirely on them. I had my car(the whole thing) stolen, and it was locked. Locks mean very little to your average criminal.

Report the crime, but don't expect to see your GPS again. After my car was stolen, I took to taking all my electronics inside my apartment whenever I went inside. That didn't stop my other car from being vandalized, likely in retaliation for me getting my stolen car back.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised by how many people in this poll blame the victim. The truth is, if the thief wanted to get in the car, they would. I had a car broken into 2 years ago. The just shattered the drivers side window and searched for what they wanted (which apparently included the $2.00 in change I had between the seats).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Should be a both choice.

It is your fault for not checking all doors on the car.
    It is the thieve's fault for being a douche and stealing something.

Since there isn't a both choice I chose you.
    Don't swet to much over it tho shit happens.
    Hm. This is my first time making a pole, so I'll see about adding that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If someone enters your property without permission, and your car is your property, and removes something of yours, then it doesn't matter if your property was locked or not. The fault is entirely on them. I had my car(the whole thing) stolen, and it was locked. Locks mean very little to your average criminal.

Report the crime, but don't expect to see your GPS again. After my car was stolen, I took to taking all my electronics inside my apartment whenever I went inside. That didn't stop my other car from being vandalized, likely in retaliation for me getting my stolen car back.
    Well. That sucks, sorry to hear about that. But ya, I reported it, doubt I'll ever see that GPS back. Not a big loss, just feels violating almost to have someone enter my car without my permission.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    The truth is, if the thief wanted to get in the car, they would.
    True, but if the door would have been locked the insurance would've covered the losses. No insurance company is going to pay up the costs of a robbery to an unlocked car.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    True, but if the door would have been locked the insurance would've covered the losses. No insurance company is going to pay up the costs of a robbery to an unlocked car.
    Honestly, I'm not even worried about the insurance. I haven't reported it to them nor am I certain I should. Afraid they'd bring costs up on me (rightfully so), and the GPS was only worth about $100 which I'll cover.

Hm. This is my first time making a pole, so I'll see about adding that. Thanks.
    Np as i said shit happen's if u need to you can get a cheap GPS from walmart for like 50$.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

So wait let me get this straight . leave a CAR door unlocked and someone going in and STEALING your stuff is your fault. Do the same with the house and it's not?

brb trying doors to other houses see if they are unlocked if they are unlocked it's ok for me to take things out of it.

Honestly, I'm not even worried about the insurance. I haven't reported it to them nor am I certain I should. Afraid they'd bring costs up on me (rightfully so), and the GPS was only worth about $100 which I'll cover.
    Good chance your costs will go up but not by much. But still its not worth it if they didn't damage your car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Assuming the value of the GPS was significantly greater than his deductible. With many insurance companies having a $200-ish minimum deductible, you could usually buy a new GPS and save yourself the headache of dealing with your insurance company.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.