Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    She allied herself with the Alliance forces sent to relcaim Lordaeron, managed to kill two incompetent Dreadlords, and backstabbed Garithos and killed said army he was leading, all she did was take advantage of the situation, otherwise "Securing" Lordaeron was completely out of her reach without help.
    Sounds to me like a clever move.

I would be ashamed of any military leader who cannot expand their frontier when they have access to a limitless supply of reinforcements, especially when those reinforcements are every enemy you kill and raise into your ranks.
    Thats like saying that Bronzebeard was a bad leader because dwarves build fortresses. Being able to resurrect the dead as forsaken is one of the perks of their race.
    And how on earth is expanding your territory a sign of a bad leader, even if he has large reinforcements ? You try to spin it too much here.

She tried, and failed yet again, to kill Arthas in the Halls of Reflection, thats it. Last time I checked she wasn't there next to Tirion when he put the crown on Bolvar's head
    Still she helped in the effort and in the end stood above Arthas dead body. Don´t seem so bad to me considering her biggest drive in (un)life was the death of Arthas.
    And if anything is plot-armor, it´s that stupid Bolvar-Lavaman thing. That was all kinds of stupid.

The Val'Kyr found her on their own, she didn't go out of her way to find any form of solution, the solution walked into her lap, rezzed her, and decided to serve her from that point on. To call that an achievement of her own merit is asinine, it was complete and pure luck.
    Still she was the only one on Azeroth being able to forge that pact and secure the Val´Kyrs servitude. In the end she made the forsaken much more powerful since the Val´Kyrs are the reason for her "limitless reinforcements" in the first place.

The Forsaken are better off because Sylvannas has been retardedly lucky from the beginning, nothing she has ever done has been because of her tactical genius, it has all been because of some mystical alignment in the storyline that helped her get through a tough situation.

Like Scummer said already, Sylvannas is only in her position of power because of plot armor, nothing she has done as a leader is anything even remotely close to impressive.
    I don´t see that much luck to be honest. She made the best of the situations presented to her. She made no mistakes, she led her armies to success and she secured a future for the forsaken. All in all she´s more successful than any other leader in wow.
    And if you want to talk about plot armor, why not talk about Lo´gosh Wrynn...
    Last edited by Yriel; 2012-11-07 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolem View Post
    Virginity.

It influences opinion.
    Yet it isn't a reason for everyone to appreciate a -CHARACTER-. A -FICTIONAL- character with many strong qualities. She makes things more interesting, because she's controversial. People need to get lost with the bullshit comments about thinking she's hot, because it's pixels for crying out loud.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Sylvannas_Windrunner

She's an Undead High Elf, by the time she was raised Night Elves weren't even known to exist yet. (Within the Human/ Undead Campaigns).

In WoW, she had a Night Elf model in vanilla--> early wrath because models for Blood Elves didn't exist yet, and night elves were the only race close to resembling them

Please read up on a topic before posting people, we don't want people to be misinformed
    My bad bro, she's a belf but had the nelf model, gotcha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Just look at all the threads about how monks aren't very interesting and their starting zone sucks.

Monks are an incredibly deep and interesting class that breath new life into the game, plus their starting zone is the best yet, filled with story and amazing sights. People hail DKs so fondly, and why? Because they prefer grimdark death emo over most other things. Sylvanas is just a reflection of that, the grimdark death emo craze that most teens and early 20somethings have. That and she has boobs. She's basically every goth wannabe and emo kid's wet dream.
    I like the character for none of the reasons you've mentioned. I also like many other characters. I don't support her completely, but I like how she adds controversy and conflict within the faction which adds more depth to the story. Regardless, someone's probably gonna retort with "Nope, you like her cos boobs and emo goth grimdark hurrrr". I don't like any other female character in the game because they've all got flimsy plots as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Just look at all the threads about how monks aren't very interesting and their starting zone sucks.

Monks are an incredibly deep and interesting class that breath new life into the game, plus their starting zone is the best yet, filled with story and amazing sights. People hail DKs so fondly, and why? Because they prefer grimdark death emo over most other things. Sylvanas is just a reflection of that, the grimdark death emo craze that most teens and early 20somethings have. That and she has boobs. She's basically every goth wannabe and emo kid's wet dream.
    Any chance you watch MLP? Because you sound like you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Yet it isn't a reason for everyone to appreciate a -CHARACTER-. A -FICTIONAL- character with many strong qualities. She makes things more interesting, because she's controversial. People need to get lost with the bullshit comments about thinking she's hot, because it's pixels for crying out loud.
    People become attractive to alot of things, having sexual feelings to a CG image is on the low end of shit i have seen people become attach too.

See :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    Sylvanas is one of Warcraft's most popular characters, and I can't figure out why. Her record as a leader isn't very impressive. She doesn't have a great fondness for her people. She's lost much of her character depth. The only thing I can gather is that she's considered 'hawt'.

Can anyone help me out?

If you're lookign at her character depth and leadership I have some bad news...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    People become attractive to alot of things, having sexual feelings to a CG image is on the low end of shit i have seen people become attach too.

See :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality
    Yes, but people need to stop categorising fans of Sylvanas as some sort of drooling horny emo/goth, because as a character she has a lot more depth than the likes of Garrosh and even Varian.

10+ Year Old Account
    She's hot.

Really, that's it.

Seriously.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's quite easy. She's an anti-hero basically. She do what she do, because she want to, she is pretty much pissed at all the other leaders and is willing to show it. And the fact that well she's dead and the other leaders are alive, makes her more pissed.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Deleted
    Taking Advantage of fatigued soldiers who just won a Battle when your small force is just as ready like they were before the battle is taking advantage of the situation with your opponent heavily at a disadvantage, I can hardly say that is very impressive.

and the Forsaken force was roughly 2/3 of the Alliance force, still enough to get an upper hand, not minor at all.
    Well, the dreadlord-controlled scourge was quite a force. But i guess you didn't think of them. Sure, She could kill the humans straight on, but instead, she used them to crush the greater threat. Let's not forget, she possessed a band of orgres and bandits to help her. but, by your logic, any idiot could had done that, right?
    Did you even play the campaign at all?

Held her land against what exactly? An army of corpses who had no real leader using them? Arthas was essentially asleep until wrath, and wasn't controlling his forces, and Kel'Thuzad got too cocky and screwed up with Naxxrammas.

Not to mention the continuous backing of the Horde Military when she joined them, and bringing the Blood Elves into the fold to help her out if she needed them.

On top of that, the Alliance hardly had any forces pushing into Lordaeron, they had Chillwind Point, and that was just 2 Paladins, a priest, and a hunter or two, hardly a force to take anything. The only threatening thing to the forsaken was the Scarlet Crusade, who were too dogmatic and Zealous to do anything smart.
    So the questlines in vanilla tells us of scourge forces pushing through the bulwalk and scarlets harassing. She had NO way of getting new soldiers and she held the ground. Stop trying to act like it's just not a feat. Also, the forces seen in wow (IE: 2 paladins) do not necessarily represent the actual force size in lore. Otherwise the horde and alliance army would count up to maybe 1000 soldiers or something.

The blodelfs didn't help her for at least 4-5 years and i never saw much of the horde re-enforcements while questing. Hell, there where a few orcs in tarren mill (where they where fighting the alliance)

my Comment was into regards of how people portray her during Icecrown Citadel, she hardly had a hand in Killing Arthas, and yet she is still accredited with aiding in his downfall.

Yet again, Last time I checked Sylvannas wasn't firing arrows at the Lich King when I killed him. The best she did was play with his sword and run away when he found out
    Be that as it may. Quite many characters didn't stand much of a chance vs the lich king.

Impressive, by doing exactly what she hated Arthas for, yes, she is a real choice in character, going back on her "morals" the instant it suited her. She has become the very thing she was fueled with vengeance against, and not a damn has been given by her.
    This is really Irrelevant. Where her moral standings are, or not have nothing to do with her actions being impressive or not. You're just spiting out rnadom hate for the character.

Any idiot can take advantage of a situation when it is in their favor, to not win with such odds in your favor would be evident of more than just incompetence.
    Well, the situation was NOT in her favour. The dreadlords, whose army was much more superior to hers, wanted her dead. They even started to attack. She just made the situation to benefit her, and it's a stroke of tactical genius. Ask any military leader and see. You probably would not figure out such a thing yourself. Neither would I.

Horde leaders have never been my strong point, and as far as I'm concerned they have similar faults, but not to the degree of Sylvannas's leadership

anyways I'm out, got better things to do.
    Clearly you just seem to have a large hate for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Yes, but people need to stop categorising fans of Sylvanas as some sort of drooling horny emo/goth, because as a character she has a lot more depth than the likes of Garrosh and even Varian.
    The post that followed this just screamed "oh really?".

Boldly said, yet I remain....unconvinced.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I liked Sylvanas prior to her short story, now she is the worst faction leader in my eyes, since she doesn't care for her people at all, but if the Val'kyr vision is any indication the forsaken are doomed without her. She failed several times yes, but she also achieved great things and given the circumstances she stood her ground admirably. She is vicious, cunning, and resourceful. Entirely disregarding her achievements and simply labeling her a bimbo is just wrong she is an evil twisted maniac, who will do anything to achieve her goal, there are people who like such characters, though many simply judge her for her appearance, which is a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    The post that followed this just screamed "oh really?".

Boldly said, yet I remain....unconvinced.
    Well she is one of the few characters that remained somewhat consistent in her development, unlike many others .

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    yet the needs she is using them for, securing Lorderon, isnt really "bad" for the Forsaken people

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 12:43 AM ----------

She gave the Forsaken a place to call home.
    She satisfied the Forsaken lust for vengance against Arthas
    And now she has given them a new purpose in fighting for their right to live and for their home.

Seems impressive enough to me
    "Forsaken people"? There's a contradiction for you. The Forsaken aren't called the "Forsaken" for nothing. They shouldn't exist. They are an abomination. They should be viewed as "just another Scourge to be scrubbed from the planet".

Just an FYI - "lust for vengeance against Arthas" was ALL Sylvanas, not a goal of the Forsaken as a whole. That was Sylvanas' goal alone. I don't understand why people defend her either. Honestly, those that were "saved from the will of the Lich King" should be destroyed as well. What good are they? Especially the new "batch" that Sylvanas started RIPPING from the ground when the Val'Kyr joined up with her.

For all intents and purposes - NOBODY should like Sylvanas at all. Hell, even the Horde leadership doesn't trust her or approve of her methods. She's creating an army for no reason at all. "Forsaken" serve no purpose and have no reason to continue to be created.

From a player point of view - Blizzard should have ended Sylvanas and the Forsaken when the Lich King died. Sylvanas' only desire to live was to get revenge on the Lich King, now she is just running around creating a pointless army with the only desire to expand the undead nation that really has no reason to be around at all. Shouldn't BOTH sides want their dead left dead?

Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    "Forsaken people"? There's a contradiction for you. The Forsaken aren't called the "Forsaken" for nothing. They shouldn't exist. They are an abomination. They should be viewed as "just another Scourge to be scrubbed from the planet".

Just an FYI - "lust for vengeance against Arthas" was ALL Sylvanas, not a goal of the Forsaken as a whole. That was Sylvanas' goal alone. I don't understand why people defend her either. Honestly, those that were "saved from the will of the Lich King" should be destroyed as well. What good are they? Especially the new "batch" that Sylvanas started RIPPING from the ground when the Val'Kyr joined up with her.

For all intents and purposes - NOBODY should like Sylvanas at all. Hell, even the Horde leadership doesn't trust her or approve of her methods. She's creating an army for no reason at all. "Forsaken" serve no purpose and have no reason to continue to be created.

From a player point of view - Blizzard should have ended Sylvanas and the Forsaken when the Lich King died. Sylvanas' only desire to live was to get revenge on the Lich King, now she is just running around creating a pointless army with the only desire to expand the undead nation that really has no reason to be around at all. Shouldn't BOTH sides want their dead left dead?
    You are entitled to your opinion, but so are other people. You chose to hate the forsaken and others can like them just as much as you hate them,there are always different viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post

You are mistaking "Forsaken" with "Pandas"

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Bad chaos sorcerer! Don't bully the poor Duck ;P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I give you a D for effort.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Because smell-o-vision is still in the works.

Yep, must be the hotness.

Ugly but good: "Booooring! Why is she in the game?"
    Ugly and evil: "This bich must seriously die, why is she still in the game?"

Sexy and good: "Ah, we have a horde-Jaina, thats nice"
    Sexy and evil: "Fuck yeah, she kicks alliance ass and looks great doing it"

:P
    Mother pus bucket!