Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must be new to gaming I was pretty much playing M rated games by age 12, plus even before then I pretty much knew already everything I needed to know about sex and violence, its nothing special some people develop faster than some that's all.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Just don't talk to people in your guild about personal things, problem solved. Dunno why people feel the need to discuss their boring lives in the game to begin with. Just talk about WoW and everything is fine.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by er0ckuh View Post
    I could be playing Barbie's Adventure Online and someone would probably start swearing at me for not picking up the coins.

So.... you just...know that... there are coins.... hm?

:P

Well, I remember when they released the chat voice (what a failure btw), and a girl who wasn't more than 7 or 8 started to talk :/

I think it's a problem. Not for me nor for the game, but for them. WoW is an addictive game, if sometimes an adult can have a hard time focusing to paly less time, just imagine what it can do to a kid.

And this is why I always get people on RealID so I can stalk them on Facebook before I send them photos of my genitals.

Deleted
    I know one who is 11...it didn't actually freak me out all that much. At the same time i can see why some people would be paranoid but i don't really see the big deal about talking to a minor as long as it's stuff that's appropriate for their age (About the game and such).
    Noneoftheless i am still not afraid of talking with her.

Ofc stuff like "Catch a Predator" really created the image of that you are being watched 24/7 and you are a child molestor as soon as you are being nice to someone younger than yourself <.<

Deleted
    Well I hope we(in our guild) haven't scarred too many children's lives by linking anal fisting videos, product page a of 1½feet buttplug called "The Weapon of Ass Destruction", calling each other faggot-nigger-jews, among other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    As for restricting a guild to 21+, I honestly don't see how you can reinforce that. What do you do? Have them scan their driver's license and e-mail it to you so you can verify their age?
    Get on Vent for one. If you're around in life long enough you can pick out how old a person is purely by their voice. There are RARE exceptions, but generally you can tell not only by their voice but how they behave. +21 guild got to have a vent chat for recruiting.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 05:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    You must be new to gaming I was pretty much playing M rated games by age 12, plus even before then I pretty much knew already everything I needed to know about sex and violence, its nothing special some people develop faster than some that's all.
    This says pretty much about parenting and society in general these days.

Years ago, if a kid did that stuff, they sure wouldn't be on a forum bragging they did. Because if their parents found out Junior would have his hide tanned, worse society EXPECTED the parent to tan his hide.

Remember when my brother was caught smoking. Dad gave him not only a DI dressing down, he removed his bedroom door. It was that type of devotion that kept us away from the junk of the 60s/70s (like the drug culture).

A parent can't slip, as it's so easy for the kids to fall.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    ok so there is a person who in my guild I surmised was a girl and we got to talking,

anyway somehow we got on to ages and she tells me she is 12.... i'm in my 30's

so glad I didn't say anything inappropriate, even as a joke which I can do since there's also some people in my guild who are older than me.

I don't want chris hansen knocking on my door.

I'm scared to even be friendly anymore to anyone in game, suppose to be a teen game.
    why is that even a problem dude, we`re talking about playing Warcraft nothing more you sound like you have a guilty conscience that's the thing that worrys me!

Your problem is not playing with minors, but rather thinking that talking to a 12 years old girl in an online game makes you some sort of creep.

And that is sad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    wasn't hitting on thankfully, my wow chat logs are clean

I also know a 8 year old who plays this game so...
    For someone who doesn't want Chris Hansen to knock on his door you seem to know a lot of minors, who play this game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Get on Vent for one. If you're around in life long enough you can pick out how old a person is purely by their voice. There are RARE exceptions, but generally you can tell not only by their voice but how they behave. +21 guild got to have a vent chat for recruiting.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 05:56 AM ----------

This says pretty much about parenting and society in general these days.

Years ago, if a kid did that stuff, they sure wouldn't be on a forum bragging they did. Because if their parents found out Junior would have his hide tanned, worse society EXPECTED the parent to tan his hide.

Remember when my brother was caught smoking. Dad gave him not only a DI dressing down, he removed his bedroom door. It was that type of devotion that kept us away from the junk of the 60s/70s (like the drug culture).

A parent can't slip, as it's so easy for the kids to fall.
    That's rubbish violence and sex has been in games as far as I can remember, surely its more tolerated today, everything started in the arcades after all a lot of games that we may have played in the past had may adult themes we just didn't realize it. Movies also expose you to those themes as well but its a movie so its ok.
    Last edited by Newbryn; 2012-11-07 at 11:06 AM.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in your 30's and you're hitting on people in a game?
    You need to get out more.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I use this guideline: Don't say anything in gchat that you wouldn't say in a crowd of people IRL. Unless your guild is very small, you have no idea who all you're talking to when you talk in gchat.
    This is the best advice i've seen on here in some time
    OT, I have encountered people i found out to be much younger than i thought, But you just get on with it, Aslong as you don't say inappropriate things to people you don't actually know, you've nothing to worry about

I'm amazed no one has mentioned how Kung Fu panda attracts the younger ones!

But truly, you shouldn't be going around playing innuendo on your every text line when you can't be sure the ones reading it could be the same age as your children.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    why is that even a problem dude, we`re talking about playing Warcraft nothing more you sound like you have a guilty conscience that's the thing that worrys me!
    I can see where he's coming from though, Todays society is so judgmental and a man in his 30s talking to a 12year old girl online, That sounds bad, very bad, If you asked a bunch of random people if that's ok they would most likely say the police should be called, But being in WoW it is different, Yet it's not seen that way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Yeah... I remember my mother telling me her parents were like that.

It's why she ran away from home when she was 16 ... and stayed away, forever. (Which is how she met my father).
    And the results were?

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 06:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    That's rubbish violence and sex has been in games as far as I can remember, surely its more tolerated today, everything started in the arcades after all a lot of games that we may have played in the past had may adult themes we just didn't realize it. Movies also expose you to those themes as well but its a movie so its ok.
    What's rubbish is society now allows you to think that way. It's gotten so debased and desensitized that if the daily death count is 1000 people don't blink an eye.

And it starts off with a generation of wild children who want to justify "IT'S MINE, MINE, MINE...ALL MINE!!!" attitudes.

No discipline = wolves as kids, and those kids raise more wolves. One day rabies will come around too.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Just don't talk to people
    Fix'd. Everything else might end up with you in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I can see where he's coming from though, Todays society is so judgmental and a man in his 30s talking to a 12year old girl online, That sounds bad, very bad, If you asked a bunch of random people if that's ok they would most likely say the police should be called, But being in WoW it is different, Yet it's not seen that way
    It is for the most part fear mongering, discriminating and outright sexism against males who're in general depicted as savage rapists barely above animals running purely on instinct in modern society. For example males on a lot of airlines aren't allowed to sit next to children not their own and were at times asked to leave their seat. At other times men were outright hunted by the police for not doing anything at all, one of the places where this reaches outright comical levels seems to be Japan where the police recently hunted a man for walking the same street a girl did while apparently looking creepy.

We have by no reached a point where many men are afraid of actually interacting with children, at times even with their own because they know what could possibly come out of it for them. That this is extremly unhealthy for everyone involved doesn't have to be mentioned, it has already lead to the death of children because men who could've helped were to afraid of doing so because they might be mistaken for an pervert and even if they helped nobody would've thanked them. (In Britain a child who got away from a nursery drowned on a pond, a man driving by seeing the child walking the street alone first considered stopping because he couldn't see any adults but then decided against because he feared that he might be mistaken for an pervert or trying to abduct the child.)
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2012-11-07 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted
    Well the game itself isnt dangerous so a 12 year older cant handle it.
    However if the other people cant behave is another thing. That's why you can choose to put age limit on the guild and for example just let 18 year olders in.
    But when it comes to just being a game you play, I dont know... it was a 12 year old in a guild I was in once and he was one of the guilds most skilled players so I cant see why they would remove those kids from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart View Post
    Your problem is not playing with minors, but rather thinking that talking to a 12 years old girl in an online game makes you some sort of creep.

And that is sad
    well it's the constant bombardment from society

if you're a single older dude you're basically assumed to be a pedophile waiting to happen according to the media

If I told anyone irl I was talking to a 12 year old girl online they would immediately assume I was trying to meet with her or something, probably even have police called on me and everything.

was actually just talking to her cause someone said something mean to her and she said she was crying.

that's just what society is now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    well... :/ it amazes me more that people 30+ plays than 13- to be hornest. i'm 19 and have been playing since i was 14 myself.

but i do agree, i'm pretty annoyed by the 14 years old kids in my guild myself
    There are more 30+ gamers than 13- gamers.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight