Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fire -- More reliable Combustions?

Hey everyone,

Simple question, simple issue.

I've been fire mage-ing fairly well, but I want to be better (obviously).. Currently I am mostly happy with my DPS numbers, but my combustion seem to be coming up lower then a lot of people mention here on forums..

Generally in a non-gimmick fight, I'll see combustion ticks around 20-25k.. sometimes I'll get lucky and go higher.. Generally I use the Pyro/POM/Alter/repeat to get a bunch of pyros in there, but I don't see the 40K plus some people seem to hit (or claim to hit)..

Granted, I still have a 463 weapon.. and the last week has blown for my latency with the hurricane, but I'm hoping to find more tips from you all.. Do you use combust frequently w/o POM if your ignite rolls high enough? Any other tips you've found to make the Combust numbers higher?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Kewi/advanced
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/ (Obviously, pick the boss if you want to break down numbers)

I am open to constructive criticism :-)

Edit: I have simcrafted, and tested with different trinkets and talents

I did once a similiar post. I have an ilvl of 471 and depednding on my luck i have seen so far numbers between 12k-80k on my combustion. Mostly im happy when its somewhere around 30k. I feel like its hard to decide when to pop Combustion. I mean if you have a 4 pyros in a row and you hit crit-noncrit-noncrit-crit, you could have as well just shot one instant pyro proc whenever and get the same combustion. The pyros in a row are just to increase your chance to build a big ignite, if it works its just luck....Even when you are overlucky and you crit with all of your pyros, what resulsts for me in 6 in a row then, then you have alreday lost about the first 2 ignites when the last hits...Thats how i understand it

Deleted
    Have you played around with going for more Mastery instead of Haste? You can get some big Ignites going when you go Mastery-heavy. In theory, if all you wanted was one big Combustion you'd probably go with nothing but Mastery and Crit.

I don't use POM myself, but 3 Pyroblast crits in a row should build a big Ignite. At my gear level I don't see 3 crits in a row very often. If you get 2 in a row, hit Combustion.

I'm usually inn the 20-30k range on average normal tics as well. and then you have crits on top off that that's usually closer to 40k on average. But this all comes down to gear ofc. This is whit 473 gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've fixed my attack for combustions and normally can get about 30k-40k. There are times though where it is 25k, and then if all crit I got a 60k yesterday. Just RNG is RNG.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just to do as much pyros as possible in a row. You have to be aware of crits.

After the first pyro crit do just 1 or max. 2 more. If there's an additional crit you'll have a much higher combustion.
    But if you don't crit a second time, do the combust anyway as long as you have the ignite from the first crit.

eg.: HU proccs -> Infernoblast

IB Pyro -> crits
    PoM Pyro -> crits or not

AT

IB Pyro -> crit or not

Here you have to use Combustion if you want to profit from the first crit. And it doesn't matter that the second PoM-Pyro is ready.

so: Combust -> PoM Pyro

So as a rule of thumb:

1. Your Timewindow starts after the first Pyrocrit and its 2GCDs maximum afterwards. If all three crit you'll have a supercombustion.
    If just the first crits you'll be fine anyway.

2. Use a stopcasting macro for Combustion

3. Activate Trinkets (if u have) before starting B2B Pyros

Its all about how much Pyrocrits you have after the first 1 in 2 globals. And its NOT how many Pyros u can get out in a row. ( if the first crits u can do 5 e.g. but when the other 4 wont crit your combustion doesn't profit from the first anymore)

I am not native speaking english, hopefully its understandable.

Some great feedback... I didn't think clipping the 4+ Pyro chain would be much of an increase, but i can see the benefit if the crit(s) happen early... kinda makes sense.. usually early crits extend the time until you hit combust, but there's no guarantee the free follow-ups they can proc will also be good.. in fact if I keep going until i run out of free procs I probably dont have many crits >.>

Abraxis:
    Is there a good clean way to track pyro dmg ?
    Once I start my b2b pyros I lose track of which pyro did what dmg...
    Last edited by fusionz; 2012-11-08 at 09:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Abraxis:
    Is there a good clean way to track pyro dmg ?
    Once I start my b2b pyros I lose track of which pyro did what dmg...
    I use Scroling Combat Text Damge (SCTD) in a clean line from bottom to top.
    There's a function called "standing crits" (hopefully it does because i've the german version of the addon. Here its "stehende Krits"). So if u crit, the damage is shown longer and in red.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/sct-damage

Additionally be aware of HU/Pyro Proccs, if there is one additional u know that you've crittet.
    Last edited by Abraxis; 2012-11-08 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
    Additionally be aware of HU/Pyro Proccs, if there is one additional u know that you've crittet.
    pretty much this...

i use mik scrolling battle text my self and have all crits on a different line than non crits, but i rarely pay attention to them i just take note of HS/HU proccing.

Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    pretty much this...

i use mik scrolling battle text my self and have all crits on a different line than non crits, but i rarely pay attention to them i just take note of HS/HU proccing.
    Yeah but when spamming 2 pyros, AT, 2 pyros very fast it seems hard for me to know which pyro did what as I shoot em so fast...

Great feedback here just had a play on a target dummy and increased my combust ticks by 20/30k easily, stacking pyro, popping trinks after 1 and combusting after 2/3 pyros is sick
    Whoops, sig too big

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Yeah but when spamming 2 pyros, AT, 2 pyros very fast it seems hard for me to know which pyro did what as I shoot em so fast...
    You should not have a hard time watching HU apear on your screen.. Max travel time on !pyro is 0.75s GCD 1.5~ in other words you will see the HU before you can cast your !Pyro. Also use Combustion helper. to track ignite ticks and expected combustion tick damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalfeinn View Post
    Great feedback here just had a play on a target dummy and increased my combust ticks by 20/30k easily, stacking pyro, popping trinks after 1 and combusting after 2/3 pyros is sick
    Nice to read

Deleted
    @abraxxis

as a frost player this was pretty obvious but somebody had to point it out for me.
    i thank you very much for this post.
    dankesehr!

Deleted
    Can some1 just link me a Macro that will do the following with just spamming on it?

When I have a HS pyro ready to:
    1. Put AT up
    2. Use the HS pyro
    3. End the AT
    4. Use the HS pyro again
    5. Shoot a PoM pyro
    6. Combust
    7. /wave @target

I am doing that by hand and use only the PoM pyro macro but it seems a little late and I loose some of the Ignite ticks when pressing the buttons one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephalia View Post
    Can some1 just link me a Macro that will do the following with just spamming on it?

When I have a HS pyro ready to:
    1. Put AT up
    2. Use the HS pyro
    3. End the AT
    4. Use the HS pyro again
    5. Shoot a PoM pyro
    6. Combust
    7. /wave @target

I am doing that by hand and use only the PoM pyro macro but it seems a little late and I loose some of the Ignite ticks when pressing the buttons one by one.

/castsequence Alter Time, Pyroblast, Alter Time, Pyroblast, Presence of Mind, Pyroblast, Combustion
    /wave

should work, or something like that. Its worth noting that this is not how you should do it.

If you pop your PoM Macro before you do AT, you get another Pyroblast. You're aware of that, right?

You should use the following combo when you have HS + HU. Then you have:

1. Pop PoM
    2. Alter Time
    3. First instant pyro from HS
    (4. eventually second instant pyro from HU + previous Pyro critting)
    5. instant pyro from PoM or when the previous two pyros critted from HU
    6. cancel alter time
    7. First instant pyro from HS
    (8. eventually second instant pyro from HU + previous Pyro critting)
    9. instant pyro from PoM or when the previous two pyros critted from HU
    10. Do this as long as you get back to back instant pyros
    11. combust
    12. watch numbers

Even though the instant Pyro from PoM does not benefit from the bonus it gets from HS I think it's still worth to use it with alter time since you will get the effect twice and not only once
    Last edited by reflection; 2012-11-15 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    You should use the following combo when you have HS + HU. Then you have:

1. Pop PoM
    2. Alter Time
    3. First instant pyro from HS
    (4. eventually second instant pyro from HU + previous Pyro critting)
    5. instant pyro from PoM or when the previous two pyros critted from HU
    6. cancel alter time
    7. First instant pyro from HS
    (8. eventually second instant pyro from HU + previous Pyro critting)
    9. instant pyro from PoM or when the previous two pyros critted from HU
    10. Do this as long as you get back to back instant pyros
    11. combust

12. watch numbers

Even though the instant Pyro from PoM does not benefit from the bonus it gets from HS I think it's still worth to use it with alter time since you will get the effect twice and not only once
    10./11.

This is exactly the mistake many mages do. If u're lucky and the last pyros crit, the u'll have a supercombustion. But if not and only the first ones crit you may lose the critignite.

So be aware of crits and dont hesitate clipping B2B Pyros 2-3globals after the first crit.