Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bad monks from 50 - 60

Has anyone else had any similar problems as I have whilst levelling alts in instance like both of Stratholme's instances and UBRS and LBRS with groups containing monks? Be it either dps, tank or healer, (i've been playing a troll priest healing for most of these runs) and yet the new monks think they can face roll these instances. Rush in, take a shed load of damage, dispells, silences, knock backs, aggro like hell, pull so many goddamn mobs then whinge like hell they are taking damage like pi$$ing through tissue and then tank rage at healer, healer explain to tank, dps discovering their reflection for the first time, tank piddles against electric fence, healer explains about not eating yellow snow...

Yet because for most of these runs I average 2-3 monks per random group (not exaggerating either, all the time 2-3 monks) it always ends up face in desk. One arms warrior (orc arms) was tanking better than the monk tank himself who couldn't hold aggro at all and feet dragging), and some times i have had to spec to disc to heal/dps just to cover the monk healers arse. Yet the tank wanted to kick the warrior. every opted no and explained to the tank he was doing it wrong.

Then the amount of rage quits and fake AFKs

But then you either get the tank screaming RAGE that people are causing aggro and they can't handle, or a dps monk aoeing then pulling multiple mobs and tank getting blamed, or i'll get raged at for overhealing, causing aggro yet the tank is trying to pull more than 2 groups at a time..

These instances are fun and first proper challenge whilst running dungeons when levelling, has anyone else had these same issues?

Deleted
    Playing a ~60 tanking monk myself atm. I always pull like ~3 packs per pull and have 0 problems holding aggro nor staying alive. Threat should be no problem at all, even if the Monk only spams Whirlwind-Kick. But for survivabilty you have to use a lot off diffent spells on CD, so I can totally see some people lacking here.

Dps Monks can also contribute nicely with channeled AoE stun, but most of them are brainafk and only spam Crane-Whirlwind-Kick.

From tanking perspective: some healers have a problem with large pulls because they actually have to do something. sometimes you die with the healer staying at 95% mana standing right behind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fryya View Post
    Dps Monks can also contribute nicely with channeled AoE stun, but most of them are brainafk and only spam Crane-Whirlwind-Kick.
    That's what it mostly spammed, over and over without due care and attention to what is being struck at the time, but like I said, stratholme is fun but a lot more attention and patience is needed instead of spaming

The problem is that mistweaver are a little weak on the single-target-healing-side bevor they get their statue at 70 (this should be fixed in 5.1) and tanking-monks simply takes too much damage if they were played by bad people.

And the combination is deadly. The main problem may be the Brewmaster: a good brewmaster is on pair with other good tanks, but a bad brewmaster is far worse than a bad tank of the other classes. Also Brewmaster have some problems regarding stuns, cooldowns and magic damage.

Why are you in UBRS/LBRS and not in the Outland dungeons that give 3x more exp ?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently lvl my monk, and tbh, at the 50-60 range. I would pull the whole room if I could.
    I believe the problems mostly lie on the healer when a tank dies at that lvl.

At those lvls, if you have one of these tanks pulling one and one group, you barely have to do anything, toss a renew on the tank and dance for the next 3 min.
    While if I actually pull more then a pack, you do have to use your healing spells. Most of the time if I died, it was as someone pointed out over me, the healer was standing right behind me at 98% mana. (and yes, it took me more then 10 sec to die)

Not to mention tho, most of the dungeons at that lvl I honestly didn't care if I had a healer with me at all, with guard + chi wave I could pretty much keep myself up + random dmg on the DPS.

And honestly, if the monk is losing agro, tell him to get a grip and use his damn Keg Smash/The ranged beer toss thing I can't remember the name of.
    Last edited by Drodoo; 2012-11-07 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That has nothing to do with group containing monks, I run into those types of groups lots of times. And the tanks can be brewmaster, protadin or warrior and healers can anything or dps..... it just has to do whether people have played a toon for some time and know the instances. It has nothing to do with race or newness of them.
    And to be honest, those instances are easy when you run in heirloom gear especially. The only thing people need to consider is that not everyone has heirloom gear and so especially tanks and healers shoul;d be aware of that...

10+ Year Old Account
    People are learning. I'll admit, I went into Stratholme on my level 55 monk thinking it'd be easy. I was shocked at the damage I'd take despite careful use of Guard and Expel Harm (among others). Took a bit to learn I have to be careful with him or it's lights out.

My monk is doing just fine,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fryya View Post
    From tanking perspective: some healers have a problem with large pulls because they actually have to do something. sometimes you die with the healer staying at 95% mana standing right behind you.
    Lots of mana doesn't make spells and cooldowns go faster, so it's not very useful when you pull 3 groups of which 1 is pounding on dps, 1 on the healer and 1 on you, doing more dps then the heals can do hps...

as a lvl 50monk i can say monk is so faceroll in that lvl

roll roll drink a beer, make some fire, do some green dancing, shoot some laserballs, pop your little shield and keep rolling
    they see me rolling they hating, but bitches love me cos they know that i'm the ball

dmg monk kinda lacks behind since most usefull dps things you get at later levels so i allways end up behind the tank and some berserk roflcopter warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    50-60 ?

Isn't that where you got Spinning Crane Kick? The tank could pull the whole dungeon at that level range and I'd keep everyone healed and AoE DPS the mobs at the same time by continuously spamming SCR ... without a problem. Never cleared dungeons so fast before.

I think that the problem might be that some of them are used to monk healers, which are extremely OP at lower level ranges and allow any tank to mass pull non-stop.
    SCK only heals if you're a Mistweaver.

And yeah, Monks have a unique playstyle. Even at level 90 most Brewmasters still don't understand the Shuffle mechanic (and neither do a lot of healers, who whine about friendly fire damage on recount).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Why are you in UBRS/LBRS and not in the Outland dungeons that give 3x more exp ?
    because from 50-57, outland instances aren't available

Deleted
    At level 78 now, haven't really been a problem healing dungeons so far.
    I'm thinking you have had bad luck with your groups ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the 2-5 monk parties you're talking about, I leveled through a ton of them myself. However, I was healing every one of those runs so I can't speak on the topic of other mistweavers. I can tell you that you're probably stereotyping solely because you're running into so many monks in that range right now.

If you ran into lots of tanks of other classes like I did (particularly DKs, yes, they're still bad when they pick up a class at 55 and have no clue how to play it) you would see that they're all equally as bad as the leveling monk tanks.

They ALL rush and pull half the instance at once, it doesn't matter what kind of healer you are or what kind of tank they are, they're going to do it. I just got used to it. When I did find a good tank that I worked well with, I often stuck with them through several dungeon queues.

Don't worry, it will pass quickly. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    i only had problems with crazy ppl in general mostly monks 63-66 something like that in the same dung, they seemed to think pulling all the mobs in one room plus a boss was a good idea when the trash fears and silences. don't remember the dungeons name. they weren't big problems only caused a full on wipe few times ( different groups) but was certainly highly annoying.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

Deleted
    ive just started healing on my monk, level 48 at the moment, i have no problem keeping the tank up, but i struggle when there is a lot of aoe damage, but i can ususally manage to keep everyone up, although it means burning all my mana. ive noticed quite a few bad monk tanks though, had a monk tank last night in dire mual who i was having to spam heal on every trash pack, i have no idea what he was doing wrong and i know nothing about monk tanks so i couldnt help him.

its to be expected though, its a new class and not everyone knows how to play them. im just learning healing, seems very easy single target so far.