Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What would you do if you were blind?

Hello there.

First of this is not a post about me complaining about my life and creating a sob story. Do I have the right to do that? I probably do

This is simply a story about how I have lost all life quality. Why am I posting this on a MMO champion forum?
    That I do not have a good answer but i really hope it makes you think twice before you take the things you have in life for granted.

I had to have my brother write this post for me becouse I am no longer able to due to my condition.

When I was 12 years old I recieved a message i had developed a very rare eye disease and eventually become blind.
    I did not think not much of it at that time. I was young and I did not fully understand it i think.
    It was not before I was 18 years old I started to understand what was really happening.

I remember when I was 18 years old I could still see somewhat without glasses. On my 19th birthday I could barely see anything without glasses. Not even a huge Mc'Donalds sign I could just see its colour.
    Thats when I realised how tragic it was.
    The vision got worse and worse. I changed prescription glasses every 4-6th month and everytime i saw less and less with brand new glasses.

Today I am 24 years old. And I have been given an estimated time of 6 months left to see before I will no longer be able to see.
    I currently see 10% of a healthy person's vision WITH glasses.

People complain when they have to see a 240p video on youtube and how terrible it is.
    Well if you can compare it my vision is 50p. Not sure if there even is such a thing but if you want a comparison.
    Thats what I walk around with in everyday life and its decreasing day by day.

Ever since I was a young kid I have loved the winter. The sight of snowflakes falling down on a quite desember night is just beautiful.
    This will be last time I see snow.
    This will be the last christmas in my life I will get to see my family.
    This will be the last year I will be able to see my wife.
    I will never be able to see my son/daughter grow old. Infact I will never see my newborn child that will be born in 8 months.
    I will never see again.

I really people dont take the ability to see for granted. Its a everyday thing you rarely think about.
    You didnt know what you had before you lost it.

Nothing you or either my close one sais is going to change how much I am going to struggle with life for the rest of my years.
    '' Theres many benefits to being blind! ''
    No there isent. I want to see my son. I want to see my wife and I want to see snowflakes fall next winter. I want to go ski'ing and I want to see America.
    I dont want to sit down and listen to music and stories and living in contsant darkness for the rest of my life

Its a tragic thing it really is and the honest truth is I am not sure if its even worth living being blind
    Maybe in 50 years from now techology has come so far that I may be able to see one day again who knows.

Please dont take your vision for granted.
    So my question to you is what would you do if you were blind? What would you do for fun?

Note: I had my brother write the post for me. I could write it myself but it would take hours and would be filled with typos everywere but I can still read your replies
    Last edited by xpadamsn; 2012-11-07 at 04:40 PM.

Deleted
    What would I do? Something very drastic I think. being blind would be a living hell for me, sorry you are going through it.

My first thought was grope people and get away with it with "sorry, blind!"

Then I read the rest of it and yeah that pretty much sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is just tragic. I don't know how to respond to it, but it's not as bad as it could be. You should be more grateful for what you do have. You have a wife and kids, and that is all you'll need now. Honestly, you should feel extremely lucky. You were preordained to have a very miserable shortage of something, but you managed to find everything you would need before it finally took hold.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd lose my mind, honestly. That's one of my fears, losing my sight. That would cost me pretty much all of my current hobbies and job. I would probably have a difficult time adjusting.

So to you I'd say take these final months and try to adjust to the inevitable.
    Putin khuliyo

Sadly, I will tell you the harsh reality. There is almost no reason to live being blind. It's death in it's own form.

The torment of not being able to see loved ones, and hurt them because they will desperately try in all their strength to help you.

I'm so sorry.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-07 at 05:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would I do? I would continue to live and find a way to do what I already do. Technology has moved so far recently in terms of assisting those who cannot see. Computers can speak and understand what we say, with the correct software. Books can be read (for centuries now), you can still hear, touch, feel, smell, and sense the world around you.

It's true that being blind is obviously no picnic, but you can remain strong and see the same quality of life offered to everyone else.

I would become Daredevil of course.

In all seriousness I would have to figure out a new hobby other than playing video games. After all it would be hard to shoot space zombies if you cannot see anything. Probably get back into playing my violin a lot more.

Deleted
    I'm not even going to pretend I understand what you're going through, and I have no answers as to what I would do if I were blind. I wouldn't give up on life that's for sure, loving life as it comes is my basic principle, but it sure as hell wouldn't be easy.

Stay strong, stand tall, as I'm sure you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would save a fortune on light bulbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Puts things into perspective a bit for me. I have been complaining regularly about my bad vision, which is a mere -4.50, nothing compared to how many others have it, and most of all you, someone who is going blind.
    This did hit me in the heart, I am very sorry for whats happening to you :/

As for what I'd do if I were blind, I have no idea. I always said I'd rather be deaf than blind. It would impact me rather hard I think. No more reading, drawing, gaming, writing and most of all not being able to see my dearest and nearest. I'd advise you to meet with a group of some sorts that consists of blind people and have a chat with them, maybe they can tell you of things to do and why you should continue living on.

As for your technology musings; I've heard of deaf people getting an ear implant that actually made them be able to hear. Its a while ago since I've heard of it and I guess its fairly new still, but we can always hope a breakthrough can be made for blindness as well soon enough?

Bets of luck to you mate. You might be a stranger on the internet I'll never meet, but you are a human being and I can sympathize with your struggles.

Edit: Just remembered this guy. Brother of xpadamsn, please read him this piece, if he hasn't read it already.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1211823.html
    Last edited by Lily Crowley; 2012-11-07 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

That's damn tragic.

Really puts things in perspective doesn't it. People coming on here pining about whatever insignificant problem they have and here comes along with a real problem.

I can't even imagine what you are going through so I won't pretend to.

Only advice I can give is DON'T wallow in self-pity like many people seem to do. As one person mentioned you have many things good in your life and appreciate those things. Figure out the things you can still do focus on strengthening those things.

Personally I think I would get into Kung-Fu and practice music.

God speed.

15+ Year Old Account
    to be very honest, i don't think i would cope with it very well. at the moment i'm struggling to keep mobile. In my youth i was an above average agile kid, i could do things most ppl didn't even think of doing, and i lost just about all of it in about 4 years, as i have Ankylosing spondylitis, and now i have been in treatment for about a year, and slowly i am regaining my movement. i can finally walk normal since a month or two. I've also made a rough estimation of when there will be a vaccination for people with an autoimmune disease, and it will not take long than about 10 years, it can not be cured, but it could be treated way better than it is done now.

What has this to do with your condition ? well, i have a high chance of going blind myself, which could just occur without almost any warning, so i have been thinking a lot about going blind. I have experienced how it is to lose something which is so normal to almost anyone, it's simply depressing at first and you get used to it slowly. I am very thankful almost every day that i can see, and i hope i won't go blind, i love gaming, and nature, and without sight my live would lose all if it's meaning, as i wouldn't be able to do what I want to do. I wouldn't give up but would sure be very unhappy for some time, as i think it's the second most important sense.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you do for fun?
    Music. You don't need your vision to play an instrument, or to sing. Hope it helps.

15+ Year Old Account
    What would I do if I went blind?

Check if my new TV is still under warranty.

Deleted
    Thinking this actually cheered me up in a morbid way, less than 2 years ago I lost most of my mobility due to no fault of mine and thus had to hang my skateboard on the wall, denounce my dreams of being a kickboxer and stop doing my awesome moonwalk (better than MJs by far), but put in comparison to your situation OP I'm still lucky as heck. Thanks for putting things in perspective, and again stay strong my fellow disabled internet traveler.

Deleted
    Really sorry to hear this.

What can I tell you... stay strong. Really, just stay strong. Yes, it's horrible to lose your sight, but you need to stay strong for your loved ones, for they still need you, and just because you can't see anymore doesn't mean you're no longer important.

As time passes your hearing will start to get better, and then you'll be able to see some things by hearing. I don't know if it goes as far that you'll be able to hear snowflakes falling, but it won't be as bad. I had a neighbour who was almost blind (she could see light and some colour, but nothing else, no shapes, no nothing, she didn't even know how her grandchildren looked) and she lived her life to the fullest. She listened to tv, radio, she got some of those books that play for you with someone reading etc. That's also what I can suggest you. Do these things, and remember how your wife looks, your son and keep their memories and use what you know to imagine them in your brain as you remembered. Yes, it sucks, but it isn't the end.

Just as you said, maybe one day we'll invent stuff to see, I remember I saw a show on National Geographic just about that, they did invent a device that could help people fully blind see shapes, but it weighs 10 kg and doesn't work perfectly. Who knows, maybe the breakthrough to fully see might be a few years away!

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Just keep hope, There are people recently being cured who have been blind most of their life, it all depends on what your actual condition is, But there are many new procedures currently being developed

I can't way what i would do if it was me, Because i don't see how i could cope, So i wish you the best with it, and i hope one day you can see those things you will miss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xpadamsn View Post
    Hello there.

First of this is not a post about me complaining about my life and creating a sob story. Do I have the right to do that? I probably do

This is simply a story about how I have lost all life quality. Why am I posting this on a MMO champion forum?
    That I do not have a good answer but i really hope it makes you think twice before you take the things you have in life for granted.

I had to have my brother write this post for me becouse I am no longer able to due to my condition.

When I was 12 years old I recieved a message i had developed a very rare eye disease and eventually become blind.
    I did not think not much of it at that time. I was young and I did not fully understand it i think.
    It was not before I was 18 years old I started to understand what was really happening.

I remember when I was 18 years old I could still see somewhat without glasses. On my 19th birthday I could barely see anything without glasses. Not even a huge Mc'Donalds sign I could just see its colour.
    Thats when I realised how tragic it was.
    The vision got worse and worse. I changed prescription glasses every 4-6th month and everytime i saw less and less with brand new glasses.

Today I am 24 years old. And I have been given an estimated time of 6 months left to see before I will no longer be able to see.
    I currently see 10% of a healthy person's vision WITH glasses.

People complain when they have to see a 240p video on youtube and how terrible it is.
    Well if you can compare it my vision is 50p. Not sure if there even is such a thing but if you want a comparison.
    Thats what I walk around with in everyday life and its decreasing day by day.

Ever since I was a young kid I have loved the winter. The sight of snowflakes falling down on a quite desember night is just beautiful.
    This will be last time I see snow.
    This will be the last christmas in my life I will get to see my family.
    This will be the last year I will be able to see my wife.
    I will never be able to see my son/daughter grow old. Infact I will never see my newborn child that will be born in 8 months.
    I will never see again.

I really people dont take the ability to see for granted. Its a everyday thing you rarely think about.
    You didnt know what you had before you lost it.

Nothing you or either my close one sais is going to change how much I am going to struggle with life for the rest of my years.
    '' Theres many benefits to being blind! ''
    No there isent. I want to see my son. I want to see my wife and I want to see snowflakes fall next winter. I want to go ski'ing and I want to see America.
    I dont want to sit down and listen to music and stories and living in contsant darkness for the rest of my life

Its a tragic thing it really is and the honest truth is I am not sure if its even worth living being blind
    Maybe in 50 years from now techology has come so far that I may be able to see one day again who knows.

Please dont take your vision for granted.
    So my question to you is what would you do if you were blind? What would you do for fun?

Note: I had my brother write the post for me. I could write it myself but it would take hours and would be filled with typos everywere but I can still read your replies
    My father has been blind since he was 18. He's done more in his life than most people with fully functional eyes. He was a judo instructor for several years, he worked in a studio with recording music for 25 years, he's great at playing guitarr and drums (he played in a band when he was my age, 25:ish), just this year he graded for the second time in his Jujitsu training, he's a married man, a proud father of two (me and my sister) and a proud grandfather of the two kids my sister has. He's fearless and tough as hell and a great inspiration.

That's not to say he hasn't had to fight for things in his life, but to think that your life ends with the loss of vision to the point of having no lead vision (or whatever it translates to in english, when you see so bad you can't really make things out) is a reaction of fear and despair.
    It will test you, and it will be tough to adapt, but you WILL adapt if you get the proper tools to do so and the right training and support. The fact that you aren't even able to write this on your own tells me that you don't really know anything about the tools at your disposal. My father has no trouble at all working with a PC (thanks to a program that reads text for him), he even owns an iPhone (with it's built-in speech) that he navigates with ease.

I know it might sound dumb, even like an insult, but some times life really is what you make of it. You are in shock at losing one of your senses, it's completely understandable and very tough to go through. But you really do have the ability to adapt, just find the right contacts and the right aid. Take contact with whatever group or whatever you call it (my english fails me) that helps the blind with getting stuff they need to be independent people and so on, be it locally or nationwide. Take contact with people who know how it is! They will help you.

If you wish, you could PM me and ask me stuff about how it's been living with a blind father and so on. And what I've learned from him about it. Maybe I could ask him a question for you.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    My first thought was grope people and get away with it with "sorry, blind!"

Then I read the rest of it and yeah that pretty much sucks.
    Reminds me of when my father told me he walked into someone, that person turns around and angrily asks him "Are you blind or something!?" and he just goes "Yes."
    Shut him up good.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-11-07 at 06:10 PM.

I wouldnt give up, I know that. I don't believe in an afterlife or whatever so I choose to live my life now.

I too suffer from health problems, no where near as much as you but I still love life and live it to the most I can. I have had 3 operations that have forever changed me but allowed me to survive. I can't do all the things I want to but I do as many as I can.

I feel for ya though, I couldnt imagine not being able to see. TO me human interaction is soo much about sight that losing it would crush me. See'n a smile, or a tear, or anger. Sure youcan get that from conversation but not like natural emotions we show in our posture/face/etc.

Good luck, may science/medicine rapidly improve to hlep you