Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Oh look, people who think they're edgy because they want to torture people with some bull claim of "justice".
    Nice job putting words in my mouth. Death is not torture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    All the philosophical quotes were in relation to torturing people in place of a nice, clean injection.

I still think lethal injection is inhumane. Firing squad delivers an instant kill via rupturing the heart.

I've said this once on a similar thread and I'll say it again in this one. Thank god most of you don't make laws, the world would be a bleaker place if some of the things in this thread came to pass.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    All the philosophical quotes were in relation to torturing people in place of a nice, clean injection.
    Well then that isn't what I personally meant, sorry for the confusion. I just don't like it when people link quotes to pass themselves off as big thinkers. I personally don't care for the death sentence either because as you said people fall through the cracks and die innocent, but I'm not going to condemn people and say it makes them just as bad as the murderer for having a death penalty, which I know you didn't say that.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-11-07 at 10:31 PM.

Oh look, the brigade of people who think they're smart because they link famous philosopher quotes, how original. And if people truly think that taking the life of a murderer for the sake of protecting society makes them no better than the murderer... you live in a strange world.
    Let me tell you a little secret:

The world isn't divided between murderers and non-murderers.
    Anyone, under the right circumstances, would kill.

So pretending that you are somehow better than a murderer and that it gives you the right to torture or kill him means you're much, much worse than him.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your stance regarding afterlife.

When I was a child our dog killed one of our chickens. To punish the dog my parents tied the dead carcass to the dogs collar with wire. The dog dragged that damn thing around for weeks living with his discretion.

Living with what you have done, can be the worst punishment of all.

On the other hand I am haunted by that vision of my favorite family pet. The dog died a long time ago, my fault as well. I will never forgive myself. I don't believe in forgiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Pretty sure that's not instant death. Even if the Aorta ruptures, still takes about 3-4 beats time wise before you bleed out, and your brain will still be active.
    That's about 2-3 seconds. Mostly instant. Nobody has ever come back from lethal injection to comment on how painful it was.

At a time when executions were public and people would be hanged for their crimes, the Founding Fathers still had more sense than you.

Eighth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    I still think lethal injection is inhumane. Firing squad delivers an instant kill via rupturing the heart.
    Your definition of humane is intriguing, given that it apparently permits people to be lawfully killed.

Deleted
    Well then that isn't what I personally meant, sorry for the confusion. I just don't like it when people link quotes to pass themselves off as big thinkers. I personally don't care for the death sentence either because as you said people fall through the cracks and die innocent, but I'm not going to condemn people and say it makes them just as bad as the murderer for having a death penalty, which I know you didn't say that.
    Fair enough, I disagree with nothing you say and wouldn't disagree with the death penalty if it was perfect, but as you say - it isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what, losing your life forever isn't a harsh enough punishment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphh View Post
    Or stop ranking your desired treatment of them based on how much suffering it would inflict. What is constructive or progressive about causing deliberate harm to people? I would rather the empathetic view be taken. I have not heard of many criminals whose actions were entirely on whim; other factors need to be accounted for. What was their quality of life? Did they have a mental illness? Were they desperate, depressed?

Rather help people and attempt to bring them to a point where they could be safely reintroduced to society. In other words, stop being melodramatic about the problem and explore a solution.
    Depression and desperation are never, EVER excuses for causing other people pain. I say this as a general statement not directed specifically at you, but if your life is ever so miserable that you begin to take it out on others, kill yourself. No, seriously, stop rotting the world around you and kill yourself. Taking your pain out on someone else who isn't responsible for your suffering makes absolutely zero fucking sense. The world has enough to deal with, your bullshit is unwelcome. Choose to channel the suffering in a healthy way, or get the fuck out. Lack of the death penalty is hilarious because not only does it overvalue the perpetrator's life, it undervalues the victim's. It's a backwards way of approaching compassion. It's saving your pity for the criminals, not the victims.

Another thing I find interesting is the cognitive dissonance people display in their views on life as a whole. It's very rare to find someone who supports abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia, and the killing of animals or to find someone who doesn't support any of them. People pick and choose which of those they support without realizing you either have to support all of them or none of them to actually stay consistent. If all life is sacred, then you can't ever extinguish it for any reason. To support one and not the other is the most extreme form of intellectual dishonesty. It shocks me more people don't realize this.

What about people that are falsely accused or people who were set up?

Shouls they also suffer for something they hadn't done just because your sadistic ego wants them to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    L
    Anyone, under the right circumstances, would kill.
    Yes, but for what for? Not everyone will kill innocence for anything. If someone kills people to sell their organs, I really have zero moral conflicts with killing him as long as he is 100% guilty and killed in a humane way. And for fuck sakes I said NOTHING about thinking torture is correct. And as I said before, I prefer the penalty to be removed because too many people are wrongly convicted.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-11-07 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphh View Post
    Your definition of humane is intriguing, given that it apparently permits people to be lawfully killed.
    To a point? yes. I think child molesters, rapists and murders, if found guilty, don't deserve to live and should be executed by law. There are animals within our species that need to be put down. That is the sad reality of the situation. If a man chooses to take another life, why should that man deserve his own?

Deleted
    Lethal injections shouldn't be given at all.
    Nor should the death sentence be practised at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading that OP made me feel like I was playing a new Silent Hill game from start to finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfan1 View Post
    This is a rather shallow-minded definition of justice. For a myriad of reasons it can never be about revenge- you are confused however because there still is capital punishment -death penalty is wrong.

An eye for an eye is dark ages reasoning, itll lead to no good.
    Oh no, what good does it do first to have these kinds of people locked away for god knows how long, spending tax money on feeding and housing them only to send them off on a human way which also is costing a metric ton of money?

All you people saying it's wrong etc etc would have a completely different view on things if your child was gunned down in front of you.., or perhaps someone breaking n' entering and then slaughtering your girl friend / wife after raping the shit out of her, sure.., lets house and feed these people, not like that ton of money could be spend't on social care, improving life for senior citizens who've paid they're dues to society, w/e, anything is better then spending it on these sort of scum!

An eye for eye, much much shorter trials so it's not being dragged out by lawyers trying to loophole the system only to increase the amount going into they're own pockets.

Caught in the act with witnesses or on tape?- simple, give the police authority to spend 89 cent on 1 bullet between they're eyes! I'm 100% positive there's a lot of cops out there who'd gladly take on that role and still sleep pretty fucking good at night!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to...
    Darth Vadar.