Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Depression and desperation are never, EVER excuses for causing other people pain. I say this as a general statement not directed specifically at you, but if your life is ever so miserable that you begin to take it out on others, kill yourself. No, seriously, stop rotting the world around you and kill yourself. Taking your pain out on someone else who isn't responsible for your suffering makes absolutely zero fucking sense. The world has enough to deal with, your bullshit is unwelcome. Choose to channel the suffering in a healthy way, or get the fuck out. Lack of the death penalty is hilarious because not only does it overvalue the perpetrator's life, it undervalues the victim's. It's a backwards way of approaching compassion. It's saving your pity for the criminals, not the victims.
    The point of depression is that it clouds judgement. I'm not attempting to excuse murder, because it is obviously not constructive to society. Still, people make the decision to do it (if it is even premeditated, which I doubt most are) for reasons which should be explored closely for a greater understanding of why they reached it.

Another thing I find interesting is the cognitive dissonance people display in their views on life as a whole. It's very rare to find someone who supports abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia, and the killing of animals or to find someone who doesn't support any of them. People pick and choose which of those they support without realizing you either have to support all of them or none of them to actually stay consistent. If all life is sacred, then you can't ever extinguish it for any reason. To support one and not the other is the most extreme form of intellectual dishonesty. It shocks me more people don't realize this.
    I'm not sure how you can classify them all as the same. Just off the top of my head: assisted suicide has the consent of the subject, and prevents pain; abortion does not end a conscious life (and no, I do not believe an unborn child is sacred), and can prevent social or economic harm to the parents; animals provide resources to humans, which we benefit from. Capital punishment has no benefit, apart from an abstract feeling of revenge from the people psychopathic enough to feel it.

To a point? yes. I think child molesters, rapists and murders, if found guilty, don't deserve to live and should be executed by law. There are animals within our species that need to be put down. That is the sad reality of the situation. If a man chooses to take another life, why should that man deserve his own?
    I find the idea of 'deserving' one's life inherently flawed. A life has no value, except to other people. When I die, I won't be around to care about it much, so in hypothetical foresight, I don't really care that it will happen, whether premature or otherwise. However, the people who gained some kind of benefit from a person's existence, be it social or economic, will regret their death.
    Last edited by mmocabb3213291; 2012-11-07 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    We should just do what Iran does, Hang them in the streets or stone them publicly. Of course we would have to through out the Constitution first.

Lets see "The Eighth Amendment: Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." That should go away, while we are at it lets get rid of the other annoying things, the 1st should go away, dam hippys and free speech, and separation of church and state. We'll keep the second, although lets fix it, and reword it "A well militia of Christians being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the Christian White Males to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed", after all they are the only law abiding people in America... No the World. Of course we'll have to fix the rest of the world as well. We should invade Mexico, and all of Latin America. Also any nation which disagrees with us.

((

This reply is tongue in cheek sarcasm, and should be taken that way. When ranting about basic human rights you should consider why they are there.

))

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphh View Post
    The point of depression is that it clouds judgement. I'm not attempting to excuse murder, because it is obviously not constructive to society. Still, people make the decision to do it (if it is even premeditated, which I doubt most are) for reasons which should be explored closely for a greater understanding of why they reached it.
    I've struggled with depression for 20 years. I've never considered killing someone, in fact, I spent the first 22 years of my life going around the world trying to make it a better place. I used to be religious, so much of my free time was spent doing relief work. Your knowledge of depression is limited at best.
    I'm not sure how you can classify them all as the same. Just off the top of my head: assisted suicide has the consent of the subject; abortion does not end a conscious life (and no, I do not believe an unborn child is sacred); animals provide resources to humans.
    Before I go any further, I'd like to say that I support all of them. They are all the same in that the end result is death. If life is sacred, you don't have the right to take it under any circumstance. I don't, however, believe life is sacred. It doesn't really matter why you ended a life if it's always wrong. That's my point, it's not always wrong.

Edit: Would be glad to continue this later, I have to drive to an appointment. I'll be back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Oh no, what good does it do first to have these kinds of people locked away for god knows how long, spending tax money on feeding and housing them only to send them off on a human way which also is costing a metric ton of money?

All you people saying it's wrong etc etc would have a completely different view on things if your child was gunned down in front of you.., or perhaps someone breaking n' entering and then slaughtering your girl friend / wife after raping the shit out of her, sure.., lets house and feed these people, not like that ton of money could be spend't on social care, improving life for senior citizens who've paid they're dues to society, w/e, anything is better then spending it on these sort of scum!

An eye for eye, much much shorter trials so it's not being dragged out by lawyers trying to loophole the system only to increase the amount going into they're own pockets.

Caught in the act with witnesses or on tape?- simple, give the police authority to spend 89 cent on 1 bullet between they're eyes! I'm 100% positive there's a lot of cops out there who'd gladly take on that role and still sleep pretty fucking good at night!
    And then, a year later, it's found out that the guy was innocent after all, and his family's gonna be wanting justice themselves.

Also, Capital Punishment costs more, per inmate, than life imprisonment. Mostly 'cause the government wants to be DAMN sure they did it before, you know, killing someone.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Use them for experimentation. Would probably accelerate modern medicine's progress substantially. Good people benefit from this, and criminals are given a chance to live (or die) depending on what kind of experimentation is done.

Hell, if you're already killing them for no purpose other than vengeance, get something good from them before you actually end their lives.

Not possible in today's legal system, but it'd be awesome. Alot of these criminals that "find god" would be commiting sacrifice* for the good of others, and therefore win a ticket to heaven!!

We all win! yay!

*forced sacrifice
    Last edited by Cliff; 2012-11-07 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Use them for experimentation. Would probably accelerate modern medicine's progress substantially. Good people benefit from this, and criminals are given a chance to live (or die) depending on what kind of experimentation is done.

Hell, if you're already killing them for no purpose other than vengeance, get something good from them before you actually end their lives.
    That would be unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really, REALLY, trying not to Godwin off that comment about experimenting on them.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Let me tell you a little secret:

The world isn't divided between murderers and non-murderers.
    Anyone, under the right circumstances, would kill.

So pretending that you are somehow better than a murderer and that it gives you the right to torture or kill him means you're much, much worse than him.
    Not sure if serious. Most people are capable of killing. Many people will kill in self-defence, it does not make them murderers, if it was a real threat ofc. If you mean kill to eat other people during starvation or w/e, then no, everyone won't do that. So I'm not pretending in the least when I say I'm better than them.

You could say I'm indirectly a murderer by eating meat, even though that has some truth in it, it's also a stupid thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea behind lethal injections and other "humane" forms of execution is that if the state is to kill convicted criminals, it is done in a way that least resembles murder.

You might benefit from watching this BBC Horizon documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9GXN78Cejc

Honestly though the controversy surrounding lethal injections renders its "humane" label questionable, specifically the notion that the short-acting anesthetic administered at the beginning of the procedure does not render the criminal unconscious for a sufficient length of time and so is completely aware (though now paralyzed due to another injection) and entirely receptive to pain thereon.
    Last edited by Collie; 2012-11-07 at 11:03 PM.

I'm sure its been said, but if you want a murderer to suffer, then you're just as bad.

No one, I repeat, NO ONE deserves to suffer.

Despite what you may have heard, the lethal injection is NOT painless. They die feeling like their entire body is on fire. If anything, we need to use a more humane way such as suffocation through nitrogen. Pain free death.

Watch this short documentary on The art of execution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R18yDjc2lKE
    Last edited by razski; 2012-11-07 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    And then, a year later, it's found out that the guy was innocent after all, and his family's gonna be wanting justice themselves.

Also, Capital Punishment costs more, per inmate, than life imprisonment. Mostly 'cause the government wants to be DAMN sure they did it before, you know, killing someone.
    See I can skim your reply also and say it takes place at wall mart.., that would make as much sense as your reply did, read post' before replying, sure you can manage that..........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    I don't care how they do the death penalty as long as it is done in a timely manner. It takes far, far, far too long to have someone go from death sentence to the actual death happening, often 10's of years. If he's labeled a dead man, I don't want to have any part of paying for him to be living.

We need to be looking at how countries with lower crime rates are doing things. We've obviously screwed up pretty devastatingly when it comes to how we treat criminals. I see no reason why someone that's murdered anyone deserves a free lifetime membership to a gym pass, food, cable and housing with my money.
    I'll give you a hint, most of the ones with lower rates aren't giving out death penalties.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That would be unethical.
    Theres something morbidly ethical about having to pay for the food of the person that murdered your loved one. We need to be less ethical to criminals.

Plus, you'd only experiment on the ones on death row.

ps: thankfully thats not my case, but i'm certain theres people out there that pay their taxes, taxes that feed the criminals that ruined their lives.

Also, would you say this is a worse system than the one we already have? people are being executed for selfish reasons, this at least benefits society. Death is death afterall, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    I don't care how they do the death penalty as long as it is done in a timely manner. It takes far, far, far too long to have someone go from death sentence to the actual death happening, often 10's of years. If he's labeled a dead man, I don't want to have any part of paying for him to be living.

We need to be looking at how countries with lower crime rates are doing things. We've obviously screwed up pretty devastatingly when it comes to how we treat criminals. I see no reason why someone that's murdered anyone deserves a free lifetime membership to a gym pass, food, cable and housing with my money.
    Easy. They tend to have a lower poverty rate.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres something morbidly ethical about having to pay for the food of the person that murdered your loved one. We need to be less ethical to criminals.

ps: thankfully thats not my case, but i'm certain theres people out there that pay their taxes, taxes that feed the criminals that ruined their lives.

Also, would you say this is a worst system than the one we already have? people are being executed for selfish reasons, this at least benefits society. Death is death afterall, no?
    "We need to be less ethical." Right. Just because they are murderers does not change the fact that they are human beings, albeit warped ones. The death penalty should be a mercy to end the lives of those that are truly unable to live in a general population (because solitary isolation for life would also be inhumane) or against those whose crimes against society are so heinous as to be unredeemable.

The penal system exists to exact social debt from felons. Not as an avenue for people to get revenge.

The problem is, not everyone on death row is guilty. There are plenty of cases where mentally retarded people are tricked into writing a confession and convicted.

While the 'Starcraft Marine Syndrome' makes sense in a perfect world, its not possible with our legal system. Thats primarily the reason why people on death row cost so much more than people who are serving life in prison. You have to make 100% sure that they in fact committed the crime. In the general public, there is a fear of executing an innocent person which leads to policies and protocols that are lengthy and expensive.

Deleted
    The Death Penalty is stupid. Full stop.

Deleted
    easier solution outlaw em, you don't have kill them but can do if wanted.
    atleast it gives people a chance keep on living if they want/can.
    also while we're at it implement the "icehouse" from sc2 for reintergrating into society?
    most people who vouch for death penalty think allong:
    Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.
    Joseph Stalin
    sometimes it could be worth it but most of the time it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    then we would be the same as him. /endthread
    And because he is sedated we aren't? So if he sedates his victims first and then kills them it's more humane and he is just like us?

Anyway, I wouldn't really care what happens to the murderers as long as they are off the street and can't hurt others. We don't have a death penalty here and I wouldn't be for it either. Killing is killing. Sedating someone before killing him doesn't make anyone feel better really.

Deleted
    Prison is to expensive, just get rid of them.