Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The world is black and white.
    You seem to be under the impression that everyone shares the same culture or values as you. If it was that way, we wouldn't be discussing such subject in the first place.

No, the world isn't black and white.

A soldier killing an enemy because he intends to kill others is not.
    Taking someones life unjustly, makes you a murderer.
    Have you ever thought that both soldiers were fighting for a better future? That they die fighting for what they believe is right? That the reason they intended to kill each other is because someone in a high seat of power screwed up? That they are trained to see other factions as enemies and not as human beings? That both sides have wives/husbands/children/parents that will mourn their loss? That believing that killing is justified only leads to a cycle of endless violence? Do you really believe in such an argument that has been used for generations by the biggest warmongers that could ever exist to justify their petty, selfish wars?

Mental issues, vengeance, envy, heat of the moment stuff. Are not reasons to justly take someones life.
    But it happens, and you would do it too if pushed to the very limits.

Under the right circumstance, how about listing those circumstance instead of blindly saying that.
    Your family is starving. You need to feed them in any way you can. You can't get a job, you can't get food from welfare. No one will help you. You decide you have to steal. You try to assault someone's shop, and you bring a gun just to threaten the owner, because you believe you could never actually kill a human being. Then he shows up with an even bigger gun. Feeling that your life is hanging in the balance, and feeling to pressured to rationalize, the first action that your brain produces is to shoot the gun. You kill the guy.

Just one example. It might work for you, it might not. But everyone has something that will make them just lose their grip. Everyone. Greed, thirst for vengeance, need, etc.

I would only take the life of someone else under 2 circumstances.

1. They intend to kill me
    2. They intend to kill someone I care about

Neither of those circumstances is murder. As long as I have proof it was self defense. lol
    You can call it an helicopter if you'd like. Killing is killing, no matter what name you give it. If you were truly religious, and you truly care about your purity of soul, you would be aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Yes and you fight fire with fire. I would happily be labelled evil for wanting revenge.
    I am with you OP. The laws are only there to protect the rich, the corrupt and the evil.
    Yea or the innocent.

And fight fire with fucking water... Or flame retardant foam... Fighting fire with fire is only a good idea a few instances far and between!

Lethal injection is for pussies. If I've got to die, give me a firing squad.

15+ Year Old Account
    We could skip the whole process and just put a bullet (cost like 5dollars) in his neck, a lot cheaper than keeping em alive for DEATHrow for 5-15 years.
    Prisoners on DEATHrow gets better treatment than old ppl at retirement homes, it boggles my mind
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Lethal injection is for pussies. If I've got to die, give me a firing squad.
    I would rather have it be death by spoon...

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    We could skip the whole process and just put a bullet (cost like 5dollars) in his neck, a lot cheaper than keeping em alive for DEATHrow for 5-15 years.
    Prisoners on DEATHrow gets better treatment than old ppl at retirement homes, it boggles my mind
    Yea, maybe you guys should treat your old people better.

The problem here isn't prisoners on death row being treated too well, but old people at retirement homes being treated poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Bin Laden will be forever touted as a martyr by al-Qaeda and while his death and extremely dangerous people like him are the only reason I would say any form of homicide is anywhere close to being acceptable, I cannot help but wonder if it would have been much more beneficial to the fight against religious extremism for him to have been captured and imprisoned. If he was in custody instead of at the bottom of the sea maybe he could have been talked to.
    I doubt it, not within our laws. we would have had to break and reeducate him over several years.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Most murders aren't premeditated, they're heat of the moment things. So how is throwing them in a dungeon going to act as a deterrent to others when they don't think they'll do such a thing in a thousand years?
    Murders without premeditation don't get the death penalty.

OT:As others have said, causing the murderer pain isn't justice, it's vengeance. The reason the death penalty exists isn't specifically to punish the murderer, it's to remove someone who would kill in cold blood from society, to prevent further harm.

Gotta let go of that hate, man, it'll only make you miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    To my mind Justice is balance.
    You kill, you deserve to be killed.

So far the arguments against have all been platitudes or misguided quotes. They work great in an ideal world but this is real life. There are people out there that will not stand to your morals no matter how you teach them, guide them, help them. These people need ending to send a message to others who would consider being the same.. and that message needs to be loud and clear, You Kill and we (society) will hunt you down and kill you right back.
    Well there is a difference between the current death sentence and what the Op is talking about. That is what I was commenting on. There is no need to stoop to the same level that the murderer was on and the Op wants to do that.

Also, while the Death sentence and life in prison does work to stop people from killing or seriously hurting someone there are just some people with mental issues and don't have the ability to think about what they are doing. That doesn't make it right but there is a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the countries in the world should pitch in some money, buy a massive Island somewhere, make it impossible to escape and just exile murders and rapists on the island, rather than kill them.
    This way, we leave it to nature.
    Also the Island will be used as a weapons testing facility

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    All the countries in the world should pitch in some money, buy a massive Island somewhere, make it impossible to escape and just exile murders and rapists on the island, rather than kill them.
    This way, we leave it to nature.
    Also the Island will be used as a weapons testing facility
    ive seen that movie... and that other movie that was basically the same thing... and that other movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Man this is worthy of a sig.

Quote Originally Posted by soloedalysrazoronwarrior View Post
    Let's try and keep the discussion civil, everyone.

I am getting sick of all this "but he is a human we must treat him humanely" crap.
    Ok ok YOU did not treat your victims humanely when you slashed his through or blew a hole through his head WHY SHOULD YOUR DEATH BE PAINLESS? ANSWER ME!

you call this JUSTICE? What is JUSTICE? it is when you are FORCED to suffer at least as much as the victim suffered THAT is the fundamental definition of "Justice".
    We need to stop with all this "Humane" crap and start giving lethal injections with the murderer fully awake so he will feel the entire process and get to know the worthless piece of trash he is.
    Murderers should not be treated as human. They are sub-human and should be treated like dirt. A mouse trap kills a mouse in agony, a murderer is given a death sentence UNCONSCIOUS! so he does not feel ANY PAIN! Im sorry but I value the mice over the Murderer.

STOP GIVING HUMANE DEATH SENTENCES. Give it to them AWAKE!
    The point of the death penalty is to remove someone from society who is too dangerous to live in it. By your standards, all you want is revenge, not justice. If a man rapes someone, should they be raped in turn? It sounds good but then you have to stop and think; who will rape the convict? What kind of individual would you need on a government payroll to do something like that? And who would want someone like that out on the street with regular people?

The death penalty should stay how it is. The offender already has to know the date of his death for months and even years in advance, with no hope to escape it. Take solace in that because that would drive most of us nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    ive seen that movie... and that other movie that was basically the same thing... and that other movie...
    Should be real life but.

Its the most humane thing to do.

Hell the convicts might even become civilized and develop a country of there own (lol Australia lol).

I am not weak for having empathy even for the evil. I am stronger than some for my ability to hold on to what is right even in face of great pain or evil.

The death penalty is wrong, period. Revenge and lack of empathy make us no better than the evil we hate. If you disagree with that I feel sorry for you. The criminal took my loved one, but not my integrity or honor. Also no punishment should irreversible until we have a fool proof system to make sure the innocent are not wrongly convicted.

Revenge solves nothing. Despite the big talkers who suggest otherwise and like they are cool for lacking some humanity.

Also even the most evil of us are human. Broken maybe, but still human. Unless you have the genetic tests to show otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Sure if you want to do it.

Very few people are capable of carrying out cold blooded murder. Some people are wired differently or grow up in circumstances which aide in this type of behavior.

Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means, but how many people could easily push a button to blow up a boat full of other people? Lots of people could boast that they would, but in reality very few people would. Very few people want blood on their hands and for good reason, it changes you.

I find it funny that the OP asks for people to remain calm and civil, especially when the topic is about human torture. Your definition of justice is more in line with retribution, or revenge.
    Let's go with Batman for another point on this topic: "Justice is about harmony and revenge is about making yourself feel better."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Even if its true that death row inmates cost more, you still admit they sometimes kill the wrong person. It's a flaw with the system, and an inevitable one (at least for now). We would be basically trading meaningless deaths for purposeful deaths. If you think death penalty is unethical period, then fine, I won't argue with that, but seeing as (for now) the death penalty is here to stay, might aswell make the best of it. I still don't understand why this is worse than what we currently have.
    I don't see how executing an innocent person, in whatever way, is meaningful.

The experiments you would specifically relegate to people on death row are considered torture. If you have stage 4 cancer, why the hell wouldn't you opt for experimental treatment?

The only other area in which 'experimental' medicine is given to humans is in the military. Even then, its on a strict volunteer basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    If you don't want them being killed humanely, why on earth are you wanting them to be given the needle period? Starving them to death or setting them on fire would be far more painful.
    I chuckled and approve of this, if we were to legalize inhumane executions.

Seriously, I would love to see someone set on fire for their crimes. Does that make me a bad person? *shrug* Do I care? Nope. All I would care about is the world would be a safer place without the piece of shit and I got to see a bad guy set on fire.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

You know when people believed that "an eye for an eye" was synonymous with justice?

BCE

You're just a couple centuries behind :\

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems you have been possesed by the Sha, my good sir.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ajamu/advanced <---- That's my DK right over there.