Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    I kind of agree with you on the basis that if the death penalty was very painful, it would deter crime better than it does
    And executing someone for stealing or tresspassing would decrease those crimes as well.

Yes we ALL know that horrible evil murder will deter people from doing things. Doesnt make it right. In fact, the word "evil" doesnt do it justice. Monsterous is probably close. The only time you see people using it is in the worst civilizations of humanity. Isnt that kind of a sign?

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 07:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LichslayerX View Post
    I'm completely fine with the Death Penalty. I think though it should be televised so people are aware of the price they will pay for the crimes. Every scream of agony, every convulsion of the chemical reaction. All for every person to see. Then they will think twice about it. If not we can have the demonstrations again on Television.

Crime will drop astronomically and Corruption and secure society will reign.
    Fixed that for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    LETS KILL PEOPLE FOR KILLING PEOPLE. BECAUSE KILLING PEOPLE IS BAD mmkay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Why do people feel the need to post Godwin's Law? It's not like it has any significance on the discussion.
    Neither does making ridiculous comparatives with Nazi Germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    No, I think Wells is right. There's no point to a "justice system," if all it cares about is retribution and revenge. While punishment needs to take place, it needs to go hand in hand with rehabilitation, otherwise what's the point?
    And there's nothing wrong with punishment if you're using it as a negative reinforcement for break rules. But that's why the death penalty is shit anyway. You're just killing them. They're not really dealing with a consequence, they're just getting killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    LETS KILL PEOPLE FOR KILLING PEOPLE. BECAUSE KILLING PEOPLE IS BAD mmkay
    Let's kill those who has clearly shown they are nothing but an extreme danger to society.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Let's kill those who has clearly shown they are nothing but an extreme danger to society.
    You know its not like people break out of prison all that often.

10+ Year Old Account
    And how do you prove they really committed that crime? How can you be absolutely, positively certain? Remember, you're talking about not only ending someone's life, but doing so in a wholly inhumane manner, so you better be fucking positive they really did it, and that they're completely beyond atonement for what they did.

So I guess you better be ready to spend a whole hell of a lot of taxpayer money on the numerous appeals and court fees needed to be completely certain this conviction is legit. Hence why it's more expensive to execute a prisoner than keep them in prison for life.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    [...]but doing so in a wholly inhumane manner[...]
    So I guess you better be ready to spend a whole hell of a lot of taxpayer money on the numerous appeals and court fees needed to be completely certain this conviction is legit. Hence why it's more expensive to execute a prisoner than keep them in prison for life.
    You make it sound like people are thrown in prison without evidence. I'm not stupid enough to think that anyone should be sent to death penalty without there being absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he or she is guilty, and I'm talking about those who have committed vile shit, not petty thieves and such. Also, I'm not sure from where the idea that I'm also supporting conscious lethal injections came from. Guilt by implied association? The OP's just mad.

But since it stirs up a shitstorm to be short and concise I guess I still have to point out the obvious.
    Regular offenses doesn't warrant a death penalty. Serial rapists, serial murderers, repeated child molesters do. When an individual has clearly shown that they are nothing but a danger, who has already ruined many lives besides his own, I think this individual has spent his rights to live.

Ooh, that's a good argument! :')
    Because I seriously think the OP and people agreeing with him are an extreme danger to society.
    Who said I agreed with conscious lethal injections? He just seems upset that murderers that are sentenced to death are treated better than he did to the victim
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-11-10 at 10:28 AM.

You make it sound like people are thrown in prison without evidence.
    You would be amazed at how little can get you on death row.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You would be amazed at how little can get you on death row.
    Good ol' Texas.

But that's another issue, isn't it?

The death penalty in itself is both clumsy and ineffective. It's clumsy because it's impossible to reverse the decision at a later point of needs be, and it's ineffective because killing someone just makes their sentence very short - surely, if you want retribution, you'd want to keep them alive and suffering rather than ending them quickly. Why not make them do slave labour for the rest of their life instead? It's not like the death penalty is cheap, either. It costs a crazy sum of money to execute just one person for whatever reason. Probably the miles and miles of red tape involved in killing someone within due process.

The Egyptians built mighty pyramids without an ounce of industrial technology thanks to slave labour. If you took every single person on death row and turned them into working slaves, you could probably do some neat things. I'm sure that if you were prepared to kill them, making them a slave instead isn't too amoral by that standard.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2012-11-10 at 10:42 AM.

i don't get the needle thing :P take a knife that can be washed and used again, no money wasted
    but then again so many things are illegal, most of them for a reason, sure there are downsides like tests on humans probably would speed up a lot of things but try to think about the other side
    you maybe killed someone or you are hold prison for religios beleves or just because you made a wrong turn in life, would you still want someone to to horrible things to you? nope

if someone killed a part of you family go get your handgun (i know you got one somewhere) and just kill him

Off topic: in most places prison isn't even that bad (thinking about my homecountry switzerland where sure you can't go out but you get a bed,good food living under a bride is harder) while in other places like south america, asia, i'd probably would rater live on a little boat in the ocean then share a prison cell with: raul,chesus,espan,jules and 30 others

life isn't fair no mather where you look and the justice system is more broke then a hooker on crack

Good ol' Texas.

But that's another issue, isn't it?
    Its not just texas. People pretty consistently overestimate how little you can get sent away for a very long time on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    The Egyptians built mighty pyramids without an ounce of industrial technology thanks to slave labour.
    No the majority of the workforce was Egyptian farmers who was "unemployed" then the Nile was flooding the farmland, and they where paid labors not slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Lethal Injection ? screw that let the family of the victim decide how to punish such people and sell that shit on payperview.

Think of the income our prison system could generate while at the same time producing quality television that would increase the chances of our children being fearful of the law thus being less likely to break it.

It's a total win/win

Hell we could totally capitalize on it and do death match versions of all known sports.
    We could start off small of course just to give people a taste for it doing something simple like catapulting inmates into a brick wall or running them down with cars.
    hell yeah, could call it "american colosseum", could even make jobs to build a replica of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Another thing I find interesting is the cognitive dissonance people display in their views on life as a whole. It's very rare to find someone who supports abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia, and the killing of animals or to find someone who doesn't support any of them. People pick and choose which of those they support without realizing you either have to support all of them or none of them to actually stay consistent. If all life is sacred, then you can't ever extinguish it for any reason. To support one and not the other is the most extreme form of intellectual dishonesty. It shocks me more people don't realize this.
    I don't really normally like discussing political things on forums, and I haven't read through the whole thread to see if someone else addressed this, but I feel compelled to.

It is definitely possible to support abortion and voluntary euthanasia, while generally opposing executions and clubbing baby seals to death, and remain completely intellectually honest. It all comes down to suffering vs. pleasure. A man who has a painful terminal illness may decide that his suffering from the disease is greater than the pleasure he derives from staying alive. An unwanted child will suffer at the hands of the mother who wishes to abort him, or perhaps the remaining family of a woman who dies dues to carrying a dangerous pregnancy to term might suffer far more than a baby aborted before it can know suffering.

Similarly, the suffering inflicted on the few innocents who get executed unintentionally can easily be seen to outweigh the gain that is had by executing those who truly are guilty. And while I'm far from being a vegetarian or a hardcore animal rights activist, I can certainly see how killing an animal, say, for a fashionable type of fur, is completely unreasonable.

Anyway, the tl;dr version of this is that you clearly haven't thought on this subject long enough to so bluntly make such a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    No the majority of the workforce was Egyptian farmers who was "unemployed" then the Nile was flooding the farmland, and they where paid labors not slaves.
    Have to be careful making statements like these about a civilization that ruled for thousands of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, what's really silly is that their arms are swabbed with alcohol before they're given the shot.

Wouldn't want them to get an infection, would we?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Now, what's really silly is that their arms are swabbed with alcohol before they're given the shot.

Wouldn't want them to get an infection, would we?
    They have a hard enough time getting doctors to kill people as is.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    The conditions that this class of people worked in was pretty much what we'd equate with slavery. Strictly speaking, I guess they weren't slaves, but they were manual laborers with few rights and no choices.