Question Radeon HD 6970 vs. GTX 660

About 1 1/2 year ago I bought a Powercolor Radeon HD 6970 for about 2300 NOK (that's 400 USD). It's a fantastic GFX card, but I am considering replacing it with a GTX 660. Main reason is because the 660 is very affordable and I'm trying to stick to a reasonable budget, but still get most bang for the buck. . A lot of my games tend to be choppy and the frame rate often drops.
    I picked out some games where I'll checked average FPS and minimal FPS.

Battlefield 3:
    1920x1080
    High settings
    Ave. FPS: 52
    Min. FPS: 30-35

World of Warcraft
    1920x1080
    Good settings
    Ave. FPS: 180
    Min. FPS: 35-40

Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    1920x1080
    Very high settings
    Ave. FPS: 100
    Min. FPS: 55-60

Team Fortress 2
    1920x1080
    Very high settings
    Ave. FPS: 120
    Min. FPS: 30-35

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    1920x1080
    High settings
    Ave. FPS: 50
    Min. FPS: 20-25

------------------------

My current specs are:
    Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
    GPU - Radeon HD 6970
    RAM - 8 GB DDR3
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 running at 3.41 GHz
    PSU - 525W

-------------------------

If you think I should keep the graphics card and replace my CPU or something else instead, then please do tell!
    I'm open for suggestions.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the GTX 660. Runs wow on ultra fine, with 150+ FPS, which is very much overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamoot View Post
    I have the GTX 660. Runs wow on ultra fine, with 150+ FPS, which is very much overkill.
    Yeah, I would expect it to run WoW fine, but in this case it's the more heavy games that is an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 660 will increase the minimum FPS, but I'd upgrade the CPU first.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Any suggestions? I've been looking at the i5 3570k, but I need a new motherboard with a 1155 socket as well.

The GTX 660 would be a 12% improvement, for quite a lot of money.

I also have a HD6970 and have no FPS issues anywhere at the time at high or higher, although my CPU is a fair bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The GTX 660 would be a 12% improvement, for quite a lot of money.

I also have a HD6970 and have no FPS issues anywhere at the time at high or higher, although my CPU is a fair bit better.

Hm, I'll probably go for a new CPU then.

just out of interest:
    what would be a reasonable upgrade from a 6970 from nvidia?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    just out of interest:
    what would be a reasonable upgrade from a 6970 from nvidia?
    Nothing, the 660 is the cheapest "upgrade" but even so with a limited memory bandwidth and not its full potential you will sustain less of a performance hit @ higher resolutions than the 660. If you are not happy w/ your FPS id would upgrade your CPU first. You have what 3 gen~ old CPU to a 1 gen old GPU, ontop of that im not seeing your hardware being to bad in any game, average fps 52 on BF3 high settings, your going to experience frame drops and WoW on a new CPU and GPU will still not feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    No it would not...the CPU handles lowest frame and GPU handles highest, by increasing your highest FPS you can only directly impact the average and max fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Nothing, the 660 is the cheapest "upgrade" but even so with a limited memory bandwidth and not its full potential you will sustain less of a performance hit @ higher resolutions than the 660. If you are not happy w/ your FPS id would upgrade your CPU first. You have what 3 gen~ old CPU to a 1 gen old GPU, ontop of that im not seeing your hardware being to bad in any game, average fps 52 on BF3 high settings, your going to experience frame drops and WoW on a new CPU and GPU will still not feel good.
    i'm not the op and i'd know if my cpu was "3 gens old" :P

Deleted
    if 660 is what you are looking for get a ti version (almost on par with a 670)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Audox View Post
    My current specs are:
    Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
    GPU - Radeon HD 6970
    RAM - 8 GB DDR3
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 running at 3.41 GHz
    PSU - 525W

-------------------------

If you think I should keep the graphics card and replace my CPU or something else instead, then please do tell!
    I'm open for suggestions.
    Definitely the processor at least.

I just replaced my HD 6970 with a 7970, but even with the 6970 I was getting very good framerates in WoW (I operated 3 clients at once on ultra settings with 50-60 fps). In BF3 zero problems even on High settings on the most grindest maps (Metro especially).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Tbh tho the CPU should be fine w/ everything except WoW lol, 50's average is good for bf3.