10+ Year Old Account

Please help me fix our mage

Dear MMO-Champion Mages,

My name is Chevelle and I'm guildmaster and main healer in my own 10 man guild. And every fight I've done with our mage so far ... I just feel he is underperforming and I've looked into the logs more then once and can't find out exactly what is causing this. This is mainly due to the fact I'm just a bad mage.

Could you please help me out and look into our logs and see where he is going wrong? <3

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=13007&e=13409
    Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kayay/advanced

P.s.
    The logs I linked are garalon normal 10man. Feel free to pick any other fight you'd like to see him on though, all our logs are up on there.

Thanks a lot in advance, I am looking forward to your replies.

Chevelle founder and Guild Master of<Divide and Conquer> @ Frostmane EU
    Also please follow me on Twitter

i just looked at your logs for a minute and already know whats wrong. his uptime for rune of power is horrid. i prefer invocation over rune of power, but his uptime for rune of power is just dismal. 68% on Elegon... 38% on Will and 23% on spirit kings. thats 80% of a fight with 15% less spell damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a good vet for... fixing... things.

OT: I have to agree on the rune of power thing. It's pretty important to keep it up at much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I know a good vet for... fixing... things.
    I'm sorry , I just did not have another word for it. But if the rune of power doesn't work we may need that vet to put him down.
    THe rune of power is quite a big one indeed nice find on that, thanks! Anything else I should be looking out for when I talk to him tomorrow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtiny View Post
    i just looked at your logs for a minute and already know whats wrong. his uptime for rune of power is horrid. i prefer invocation over rune of power, but his uptime for rune of power is just dismal. 68% on Elegon... 38% on Will and 23% on spirit kings. thats 80% of a fight with 15% less spell damage.
    Using rune of power on Garalon just seems like a bad idea full stop. Rune of power isn't exactly very friendly for such a movement heavy fight. I just did 83k in lfr as a 479 frost mage and I was terrible. I know it's not the same but there's definitely room for them to improve.

i know Blizz says they want talents to be personal preference, but i think invocation is better if he can keep the uptime > 90%. i would suggest PoM over scorch for most fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire Mage should be topping meters on Garalon, specially if he knows what he's doing and by the logs i can see he doesn't and his gear looks good nothing to glaring to change.

but now his use of lvl 90 talents RoP is horrid for all fights imo, Invo and IW is much better (for fire specifically)

The log for Garalon shows that he doesn't understand how Combustion works and he's not focusing on getting a high enough ignite to get the big numbers with Combustion, and his MB uptime is horrible also.

Here is a link to our garalon kill and my dps (not the best but its still a kill lol)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...?s=5857&e=6257

Combustion is much higher and also my uptime % is better almost 100%.

I think it comes down to not knowing how to play specific fights and not utilizing his class to the max.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Envyadams View Post
    Fire Mage should be topping meters on Garalon, specially if he knows what he's doing and by the logs i can see he doesn't and his gear looks good nothing to glaring to change.

but now his use of lvl 90 talents RoP is horrid for all fights imo, Invo and IW is much better (for fire specifically)
    That is actually what me and another guildie did manage to conclude .. he just does not seem to understand the combustion mechanics and isn't getting the most out of it.... thank you for confirming this for me.

And thanks to all of you so far for pointing out the flaws I have been unable to spot, this is much appreciated.

One thing that stands out to me is Pyroblast is a very low % of his total damage. His ratio of Pyros vs Inferno Blast seems low. Every IB should result in a Pyro, and on top of that some lucky Pyros shoudl be occuring when IB is on cooldown (and via Alter Time)

He has 22 Pyros from 33 IB's used (66% conversion rate)

Looking at my Spirit Kings parse this week (Sorry my raid is not up to Garalon yet) - (it wont let my post a link, but if you look up Euphrates, <Unreal Redux> on Barthilas you can find the log Im talking about)

I have 35 Pyros from 23 IB's used (152% conversion rate)

Also, he used Alter Time only once, could have been used 3 times in a 6:40 fight (AT is key to setting up big combustions), and it appears he did not pre-pot

10+ Year Old Account
    Your log Euphrates: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...?s=2753&e=3183

To all of you who have pointed out all this so far, thank you so much. I wouldn't have been able to find all these flaws and tweaks for our mage. If you happen to find anything else please do keep them coming.

Deleted
    Garalon... biggest crap boss ever in my perspective. :X Well, tell him to target the second leg you focus. -> Get a Hot Streak! -> run into the leg circle -> use your alter time PoM Macro -> Use combustion with the 100 to 150k Ignite you can and schould have rollin with all buffs up. ( i have had 200k ignites up sometimes) -> Inferno Blast the sh*t -> See your DPS rise to 250k -> continue to use Combustion with PoM always on legs and spread. Make sure you raid uses Bloodlust, Time Warp etc. at the beginning of the fight. His Combustions is pretty damb low i think. And do not use Rune of power as a fire mage. Its plain bad. There are absolutely no "NO MOVEMENT" encounters this talent is just utter crap... on the other hand... all 90 talent are from a raid point of view

Looking at just Garalon he opted for Incanters which is an ok choice, but him getting used to Invocation would be a much better idea. He has an extremely low uptime on his Rune for kings at 23%, there is no way it's working for him. Get him to spec Invokers for everything then he should be tracking the Invoker's Energy buff ready to refresh it after it falls off, and aiming for a minimum of 82%-85% uptime on any fight.

He's using Ice Barrier, a lot, which is just hindering his damage more, but if he feels he needs it to survive then it's not a terrible choice. I would still suggest that he uses Temporal Shield instead since it incurs no GCD and he can still help healing without affecting his damage.

He can do some reforging, he should have expertise on his gloves and then do another reforge but just looking at it now I went through and reforged his gear assuming he would have expertise on gloves with these weights (After he changes the enchant on his gloves, Hit cap stays the same at 4930, Haste goes to 3056):

wowreforge.com/?template=for:Mage-Frost,Hit=4930+,Haste=3226+,Haste:1.93,Crit:2.79

And got him 200 more crit rating, as well as the next LB tick.

Combustion on Garalon:

Combustion 1634430 6.9 % - - 77 12484.1 961279 29 23212.1 673151

Combustion on Spirit Kings:

Combustion 2027936 10.4 % - - 88 14082.4 1239252 28 28167.3 788684

Obviously he is not taking advantage of the damage buff on the legs for his combustion, but in general his damage on combustion is really low. This probably a combination of low damage increase uptime and not waiting or setting up for a good Hotstreak crit. He needs to have something that is watching his Pyroblast and Fireball crits in a way he can see them very easily and when he knows his combustion is coming off CD should be eyeing it for crits to use his combustion on. There are macros to maximize Alter time and PoM, but right now he should be focusing on just knowing when to correctly combust, and having Scorch in general.
    Last edited by Schizophreni; 2012-11-07 at 06:26 PM.

Also, Living Bomb procs Pyromaniac increasing fireball and pyroblast damage by 10%, and if his LB uptime is 18%.......and he isn't standing in RoP.........and he isn't taking advantage of combustion........ OO. No offense, but you should tell him to put some effort in. Fire mage is literally 3 buttons. Fireball into Heating up into Inferno into Pyro procs. If you don't upkeep LB, or try to maximize combust, you're not even really trying to play honestly.

I don't fully understand the changes come 5.1, but I believe super high ignite procs on combustion is being taken away?...so that's one less thing he has to do, but it doesn't change that not upkeeping LB and not standing in RoP is pretty weak.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2012-11-08 at 01:53 AM.