Page 1 of 171
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Election Night 2012 **Official Thread**

Greetings.

The purpose of this thread is for the discussion of the 2012 Presidential Election day and related stories. Please use this thread rather than creating a tonne of different threads for no reason. Threads created outside of this will be merged here as well.

Just so there is no confusion, here are some ground rules.

1. There will be absolutely no bashing of either candidate or party. Post respectful and well thought out comments or opinions but do not be rude, disrespectful or hateful

2. There will be no tolerance towards flaming our users for their opinions. Everyone is entitled to them.

3. If you see someone acting inappropriately REPORT them. To report, click the Report Post link at the bottom right hand corner of the post in question. Do not respond to an inappropriate post.

4. For those outside of the US. Bashing Americans, their election system, their politicians or their political parties is not appropriate. If you do not have anything constructive to add, please do not post.

5. If you're going to discuss something, please be prepared to back it up with sources for your information. Blindly posting stories or information without a valid source is not helpful.

Thank you in advance for adhering to these guidelines. The goal is to have a quality discussion without excessive arguing, bashing, flaming or hurt feelings. The moderation of this and all threads will be strict, so make sure you're on the right side of the rules.

Deleted
    Guess I'll just start with a question I have. Does anyone here believe that the Libertarian Party will reach the 5% requirement?

How strictly should we hold to "serious" election talk? A bit of chit chat cool?

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Does anyone here believe that the Libertarian Party will reach the 5% requirement?
    I think there's literally zero chance of any third party candidate receiving 5% of the votes in 2012.

I should put **Official Thread** in the subject of every post

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    This will probably be more effective if you're one of the lead mods.

Deleted
    I was about to bring out my pitchfork and ask what makes this thread official.
    Then I opened it and saw that Fuzzzie made the post.

Carry on...

P.S.
    Obama 2012!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    How strictly should we hold to "serious" election talk? A bit of chit chat cool?
    A bit of chit chat is fine. As long as the main thrust of the discussion is election related!

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    Nah. Please don't. We only really do these for major events. Just trying to keep the discussion focused and in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I was about to bring out my pitchfork and ask what makes this thread official.
    Then I opened it and saw that Fuzzzie made the post.
    Keep that pitchfork handy. It's gonna be a busy couple of days!

fuzz, you might have to change your avatar to the blue "freaked out and eatable" ghost for the 6th and 7th

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    fuzz, you might have to change your avatar to the blue "freaked out and eatable" ghost for the 6th and 7th
    Oh damn! I forgot! I wanted to use that for Halloween! All well. you guys get it now.. 1 sec

Deleted
    I guess, he does say no flaming after all. Any heated discussion will inevitably lead towards a fuckfest of people taking politics too seriously.
    I think there's literally zero chance of any third party candidate receiving 5% of the votes in 2012.
    Yeah, I'm not too into the American elections, but I'd definitely want to see more publicity from other parties, it feels like the average American doesn't even know there are more than 2 parties around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Oh damn! I forgot! I wanted to use that for Halloween! All well. you guys get it now.. 1 sec
    You look adorable. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Guess I'll just start with a question I have. Does anyone here believe that the Libertarian Party will reach the 5% requirement?
    I think they will. They have a strong group of supporters who are very vocal (typically young and college students) but I don't really see them making a huge impact in the near future. To be honest, I really don't see what the huge fuss is about libertarians. I mean, I understand the whole 'uphold the constitution' etc... but their economic plans are just horrible (near austerity cuts, deregulation, every man for himself attitude).

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm personally wondering what tricks CNN will pull this time around. Last time we had the homage to Princess Leia. This year maybe CNN will use its satellites to project a life size Wolf Blitzer into out living rooms. I'll be sure to smack those dorky glasses off him.

I'm hoping Gary Johnson gets 5% just so we have a chance at the next election not just being 2 parties like always.

Also,
    Obama 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    I think they will. They have a strong group of supporters who are very vocal (typically young and college students) but I don't really see them making a huge impact in the near future. To be honest, I really don't see what the huge fuss is about libertarians. I mean, I understand the whole 'uphold the constitution' etc... but their economic plans are just horrible (near austerity cuts, deregulation, every man for himself attitude).
    people like their military projection (or lack thereof) stance, and some of them have fairly strong civil liberty stances, a couple of major topics lately that play to their stronger policies. yes, their economic policy is just crazy as hell though

I'm personally wondering what tricks CNN will pull this time around. Last time we had the homage to Princess Leia. This year maybe CNN will use its satellites to project a life size Wolf Blitzer into out living rooms. I'll be sure to smack those dorky glasses off him.
    I'm sure they'll have those pointless pseudo 3-D screens that the talking heads struggle to use as touchscreens. I have no idea what the goal is with those.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they'll have those pointless pseudo 3-D screens that the talking heads struggle to use as touchscreens. I have no idea what the goal is with those.
    It's tough to fill 16 hours of airtime when all people really wanna see is a % and who is in the lead. The rest is fluff.

to look like a scifi movie that tries to cover it's lack of plot and quality acting with looking "futuristic"

It's tough to fill 16 hours of airtime when all people really wanna see is a % and who is in the lead. The rest is fluff.
    They could show me Dick Morris stomping angrily when he finds out that Romney didn't take Pennsylvania. I'd watch that all night.

They could show me Dick Morris stomping angrily when he finds out that Romney didn't take Pennsylvania. I'd watch that all night.
    best show ever would be an obama sweep with a live camera on donald trump's face the entire time. not gonna happen, but damn that would make my entire year

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    I would vote Libertarian if I lived in the US just to end the two-party system. Plus their logo looks like a root beer brand.

But yeah, wow, are they actually for removing minimal wage laws? That's just fucked up.