Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Really, you wont realize what kind of a shithole you'we been living in until you get an ssd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    GTX670 > AMD 7950 - same price, better.
    Get an i7 IMHO - you don't want to be in my position and want to stream quality games on an i5...
    In australia 3gb 7950 is around $320
    While a 2gb 670 is $440 or for an acceptable 4gb 670 its around $510.

I wont be recording games though i'll be recording music, most of the time goes into mixing and mastering so the render times don't really worry me haha,

EDIT: i apologize for any bad spelling, im just currently on my phone typing
    Last edited by Amity; 2012-11-08 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Whats the point of a SSD unless you are going to put all your games on it?

"Woohoo Windows loads in 5 seconds, games still take 30 seconds to load."

My pc boots from hibernate only 2 seconds longer on a normal drive than my mates pc boots with a SSD so meh, id rather have reliable 1TB storage vs 128GB SSD for same price and have to move/delete games about like back in the day of 4GB hard drives.
    Yet my PS, Corel start in few secs, unpacking large file takes few sec, compressing also....All programs that use run from SSD start much faster...

@OP There's currently no need for 4GB nvidia cards or 6GB AMD cards.

They might be future wise better, but currently the default amount of VRAM is the best performer because the versions with higher VRAM have higher memory latency timings. Once you overclock the 4GB or 6GB versions, the timings are really getting awful at very high clocks.

Corsair is one of the best brands who provides PSU's. But that's mainly because Seasonic makes them. CX600 is being made by ChannelWell (CWT) and they aren't great as the HX/AX series. Try to have an eye for the HX650 which is modular.

Why would you buy such an expensive case (150$) while you can spend it for an SSD? Rather look for a case with atleast 1 intake & 1 outtake fans for 30-40$ and buy an ssd instead.

Could switch out the keyboard for a mechanical keyboard for the same price. MX blues (so Razer blackwidow or something along those lines) feel really good for gaming and typing, it feels a lot better than other keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalwish View Post
    Could switch out the keyboard for a mechanical keyboard for the same price. MX blues (so Razer blackwidow or something along those lines) feel really good for gaming and typing, it feels a lot better than other keyboards.
    The Corsair K90 maybe or the Logitech G710+.

Personally I really love my K90 and the backlight. The G buttons, Esc F1 F2 printscreen home delete buttons are the only one which aren't mechanical keys.

I'd sincerely suggest gamers go for Cherry MX's red, black or brown mechanical. Their blues are mostly for typing and have a fairly different mechanic to them that is... non-ideal for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Amity View Post
    In australia 3gb 7950 is around $320
    While a 2gb 670 is $440 or for an acceptable 4gb 670 its around $510.

I wont be recording games though i'll be recording music, most of the time goes into mixing and mastering so the render times don't really worry me haha,

EDIT: i apologize for any bad spelling, im just currently on my phone typing
    Stick with the HD7950. It is cheaper and faster than the GTX670 at 2560x1440. If anything should just go for a HD7970 if you can find one for a reasonable price. I went from a GTX670 to a HD7970 at 2560x1600 and was pretty happy with the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    @OP There's currently no need for 4GB nvidia cards or 6GB AMD cards.

They might be future wise better, but currently the default amount of VRAM is the best performer because the versions with higher VRAM have higher memory latency timings. Once you overclock the 4GB or 6GB versions, the timings are really getting awful at very high clocks.

Corsair is one of the best brands who provides PSU's. But that's mainly because Seasonic makes them. CX600 is being made by ChannelWell (CWT) and they aren't great as the HX/AX series. Try to have an eye for the HX650 which is modular.

Why would you buy such an expensive case (150$) while you can spend it for an SSD? Rather look for a case with atleast 1 intake & 1 outtake fans for 30-40$ and buy an ssd instead.
    Yeah this is something i'm also unsure of, while 2gb seems like a completely fine thing for 1080p, bf3 uses up easily 2gb on 1440p so i wanted to be safe with 3gb

oh oops haha I didn't even realize, that's meant to be the 400r not the 500r, it's actually $115

really the main reason for the nice keyboard and case is I don't wanna have a feeling of downgrade when i build this PC to replace the iMac, I still want everything to look really nice and neat (reason for the case with good cable management)

Yeah this is something i'm also unsure of, while 2gb seems like a completely fine thing for 1080p, bf3 uses up easily 2gb on 1440p so i wanted to be safe with 3gb

oh oops haha I didn't even realize, that's meant to be the 400r not the 500r, it's actually $115

really the main reason for the nice keyboard and case is I don't wanna have a feeling of downgrade when i build this PC to replace the iMac, I still want everything to look really nice and neat (reason for the case with good cable management)
    If I have the option to chose from a nice looking PC or an imba performing PC in a case with living plants and animals, Id still go for that one.

Rather aim for performance now instead of looks :P

Try to live for a short while with a 20eur keyboard instead of a 100eur keyboard and buy an ssd in that place.

Best choose would be Samsung 840 128GB basic which costs 99eur

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I hear the cooler you've picked is terribly stupid to mount in place. Take that as you wish.

As far as the powersupply goes, I'd go for the OCZ ZT series instead. You don't need more than the 550w to power your rig, though the 650w isn't much more expensive than that again. If that doesn't strike your fancy I'd suggest Corsair's new GS line powersupplies instead.
    Ive got that cooler and it wasnt too bad. Just make sure you have a big enough case. I will say though it does come pretty close to my RAM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Why? You're essentially throwing 30-40 buvks out of the window when a Silver Arrow performs the same
    kinda assumed he would suffer from "australian summerheat" and figured he would prefer a water based all in one over an air cooler.
    also don't underestimate a 1440p resolution with some high settings they can easily break certains cards (also higher Vram actually matters in these resolutions, ATI 6GB is overkill while nvidia 4gb suits the task better)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the money, a SSD is a great upgrade, it's one of those pieces of hardware where once you've become accustomed to it, going back to a standard hard drive is the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    kinda assumed he would suffer from "australian summerheat" and figured he would prefer a water based all in one over an air cooler.
    also don't underestimate a 1440p resolution with some high settings they can easily break certains cards (also higher Vram actually matters in these resolutions, ATI 6GB is overkill while nvidia 4gb suits the task better)
    Room temps in Australia are around 30-35c, the liquid will be at the same temperature as room temps.

The last part doesn't have anything to do with anything I said
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    Really, you wont realize what kind of a shithole you'we been living in until you get an ssd.
    This on so many levels. the $100 you spend is worth just the first boot up alone. Trust us here when we say to get one immediately. I just can't recommend anyone looking for a build of around $900 and up without an SSD. It doesn't help massively for gaming but your computer overall will just be so pristine you just need to do yourself a favor and get one...just eat Ramen noodles for a week or something =D

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to stay on that budget ($1400), but want to include a SSD, there are some corners you can cut:

- drop ram down to 8GB. You will have no performance difference at all.
    - different keyboard. For that kind of price you should get a mechanical, the G510 is overpriced. If you don't want/need a mechanical keyboard, get the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 for ~$50.

These two alterations will give you the money for a 128GB SSD (suggested models: Samsung 830/840, Crucial m4).

Also i would strongly recommend against the mouse. Roccat is one of the worst mouse manufacturers i have encountered so far. Get the Logitech G400.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

OP:

I've takin in some of the suggestions you guys have said and got this now (please let me know if i've added the wrong thing or model etc)

this comes to like $1817 all up which is really great considering it holds a 7970 and a 128gb ssd!

I'm still unsure of the keyboard, I have never tried mechanical keyboard and yeah I know i'll be wrong about this but to me it just reminds of
    a real cheap office kind of keyboard no offence, what's the difference in the feel while typing? is it more clicky or something? It doesn't really worry
    me if they're real great for gaming or not I just want a nice feeling and nice looking keyboard with handy features, I kind of chose the 510 cos of the extra
    macro keys and was just going to see if the LCD could help me out with my recording stuff

Thanks for all the feedback so far it's been really great guys! much appreciated

OP:

I've takin in some of the suggestions you guys have said and got this now (please let me know if i've added the wrong thing or model etc)

this comes to like $1817 all up which is really great considering it holds a 7970 and a 128gb ssd!

I'm still unsure of the keyboard, I have never tried mechanical keyboard and yeah I know i'll be wrong about this but to me it just reminds of
    a real cheap office kind of keyboard no offence, what's the difference in the feel while typing? is it more clicky or something? It doesn't really worry
    me if they're real great for gaming or not I just want a nice feeling and nice looking keyboard with handy features, I kind of chose the 510 cos of the extra
    macro keys and was just going to see if the LCD could help me out with my recording stuff

Thanks for all the feedback so far it's been really great guys! much appreciated
    Well the old keyboards in the office were really junk but really junk and very oldd.

Nowadays the modern mechanical keyboards have the Cherry mx switches. It really makes a lovely click. The difference between normal keyboards is that you don't hear or feel enough when you pressed a button.

The G510 isn't a mechanical keyboard btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqeVi14jqI

Around the middle of the video he presses the G1, G2, G3 buttons and you hear immediately the difference :P

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well the old keyboards in the office were really junk but really junk and very oldd.

Nowadays the modern mechanical keyboards have the Cherry mx switches. It really makes a lovely click. The difference between normal keyboards is that you don't hear or feel enough when you pressed a button.

The G510 isn't a mechanical keyboard btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqeVi14jqI

Around the middle of the video he presses the G1, G2, G3 buttons and you hear immediately the difference :P
    This is like 35dollars more than the logitech, but it kind of seems worth it, I can understand what you all mean by the plasticy soft feeling of the non mechanical keyboards, i'm just using a wireless apple keyboard haha, but even though it isn't cherry switches, it feels much less soft than most 'plasticy rubbery soft' keyboards, although i'm probably just used to it

thanks for that, Price would be around 1850 and i'm still real happy with that seeing all the luxury items it holds haha

This is like 35dollars more than the logitech, but it kind of seems worth it, I can understand what you all mean by the plasticy soft feeling of the non mechanical keyboards, i'm just using a wireless apple keyboard haha, but even though it isn't cherry switches, it feels much less soft than most 'plasticy rubbery soft' keyboards, although i'm probably just used to it

thanks for that, Price would be around 1850 and i'm still real happy with that seeing all the luxury items it holds haha
    Maybe do a quick search around and find which cherry switch would be suited to your likings first though as there are a few different feels and types of them